Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Skyway Bridge Tarpon Fishing with cut bait

Last Wednesday we had an awesome trip and stayed on the tarpon throughout the incoming tide. Hooked fish up to roughtly 150 lbs and managed 3 boatside.

Replies

• MaineOffShoreMaineOffShore Posts: 136 Deckhand
    Awesome vid!  Thanks for sharing.  Glad to see they are around!
  • releasegearreleasegear Posts: 838 Officer
    very nice - great video
    bornoffshore-sig.jpg

Mike Wilhite - Fisherman/President

Born Offshore Gear
    www.bornoffshore.com

'Performance Fishing Apparel'
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 15,118 AG
    I couldn't catch a cold two weeks ago at the skyway with live whitebait
    Yesterday's memories are not today's reality
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,098 AG
    edited May 11 #5
    Did you try a light weight?

Gotta get it down to them, Soda.
    no i had just yellowtail jigs on nothing heavy enough for skyway current 
    edited May 11 #7
    You can make light jigs (or a few split shots) work by drifting and casting way up current at an angle to your drift...and allowing the current to bring the bait back to you while it sinks down in the water column.  You can even play out a little bit of line after it gets past your boat, then rinse & repeat.    To be honest, that's precisely the way I prefer to fish and have the most success with live bait.

Once you throw the anchor (or chum them as in the video) it's a different story....

• harbisonharbison Posts: 5,015 Admiral
    Can't help but wonder if tarpon fishing is still good under the Frankland at night. Fished it many times during the sixties and seventies. It was fantastic. Have not fished the area since. 
    Anyone know?
    How about tarpon fishing around the Skyway at night; is it done?  
    edited May 14 #9
    Yes, it is still good under the Franklin (and the Gandy and the CCC).  Not like you remember it, at least numbers wise, but the fish are still there and cooperative for people who know what they are doing.

Skyway isn't as productive of a fishery at night, at least for sight fishing as the shadow line is not as pronounced.
    You can make light jigs (or a few split shots) work by drifting and casting way up current at an angle to your drift...and allowing the current to bring the bait back to you while it sinks down in the water column.  You can even play out a little bit of line after it gets past your boat, then rinse & repeat.    To be honest, that's precisely the way I prefer to fish and have the most success with live bait.

Once you throw the anchor (or chum them as in the video) it's a different story....

we still had trouble anchoring even with a lighter current.    but once i get that spotlock mounted those troubles will be over. 
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 5,015 Admiral
    "Yes, it is still good under the Franklin (and the Gandy and the CCC)"   
    Thanks!   Good to know. It's been many years now but I will never forget watching  huge Tarpon taking my Pinfish so close we could almost touch them. Then, the fight was on. 
    "Skyway isn't as productive of a fishery at night, at least for sight fishing as the shadow line is not as pronounced."
    Thanks again! Never fished the Skyway for Tarpon. Caught some huge Cobia there. 
  • cortrcortr Posts: 388 Deckhand
    Spot lock is the ticket at Skyway, especially with outgoing tide and  opposing west wind. 
  • shempshemp Posts: 681 Officer
    For fishing the bridge drifting is the WTG in my opinion.  If you're fishing a good ways from the bridge, anchor and chum.  Freeline when drifting or else using a weighted egg float.  That said, we've had success with weighting cutbait and chumming anchored by the main span.  Have not fished under the bridge in years and it's a bit much for my skiff with all the boat traffic and funky chop 
    cortr said:
    Spot lock is the ticket at Skyway, especially with outgoing tide and  opposing west wind. 
    it amazes me how often the current and the wind oppose each other there.  Seems like every time i fish.