Home General Fishing

Moving to South Florida - Where to live?

TikiAlTikiAl Tiki Island, TXPosts: 1 Greenhorn
I'm planning on retiring next year and the wife and I have decided to drag up and move to South FL. I love Texas but the property taxes are insane.
What I'm looking for are suggestions of where to start looking and pros / cons of that particular area.
We are looking at South Florida (either coast) but open to other suggestions.
Would like to be within a 15-20 min drive to a dry stack with good offshore access than can accommodate a 34cc
Good access to offshore game fish
Relatively low crime
House budget is 500G - 600G (higher if its the wife's dream home)

Your input is very much appreciated.

Replies

• bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 1,718 Captain
    I would start around Jupiter and look north...
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 9,522 Admiral
    I would stay away from Dade,  Broward and Palm Beach counties. I worked in Dade for almost 30 years and live in Broward I have a general idea of the area. The fishing is not what it used to be years ago in these areas either.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,699 Captain
    What bow hunter snd Conchy said. Go north to Jupiter at least. Any place down there will have quick access to dry stack, and good offshore fishing. On the west coast, pretty much any place will have good fishing, but “offshore” will be a much longer run. The water off PB County is approximately 100’ per mile out depth wise. The Gulf Stream being close to shore gets the pelagic fish available with a short run. Bottom fishing is better on the west coast generally. 

• Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 1,011 Officer
    pottydoc said:
    What bow hunter snd Conchy said. Go north to Jupiter at least. Any place down there will have quick access to dry stack, and good offshore fishing. On the west coast, pretty much any place will have good fishing, but “offshore” will be a much longer run. The water off PB County is approximately 100’ per mile out depth wise. The Gulf Stream being close to shore gets the pelagic fish available with a short run. Bottom fishing is better on the west coast generally. 

Pretty much this.  East coast bottom fishing in the 60'-200' isn't as good as it is on the gulf coast, mainly due to concentrated pressure.  Because the bottom slopes so sharply on the east coast, they have far fewer square miles of area within the 60'-200' range, so that narrow strip of depth range gets hammered.  On the gulf coast, it'll average a 65 mile run to hit 200' of water, so there's a lot more space east-west to spread out all of the fishing pressure.  Not to say certain areas don't get hammered with pressure here, but we just have more square mileage to bottom fish on this side.  But the fuel bills are a lot more painful.
  • cortrcortr Posts: 386 Deckhand
    FYI. Property taxes in FL aren’t cheap!!!
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 994 Officer
    Florida is full
  • smooth movesmooth move Posts: 513 Officer
    if i was doing that, i'd look around Naples.
    le se' bon ton roulet
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 994 Officer
    Anything south of key west should fit all your criteria 
  • keylargo359keylargo359 Posts: 1,272 Officer
    I'm a little bias I've lived in south Florida my whole life owning a home in Miami and one in the keys .If you want great access to great fishing. Bayside, ENP for back country, and Atlantic for offshore and reef fishing with a small town feel you cant beat the the Florida Keys. If your looking for low taxes the millage here is less than 1% percent of your property value as long as you are out of the city limits and in the unincorporated areas which is most all the keys. Homes on Dry lots range from 450k to 850k. Homes on canals with with bay and ocean access run from 850k to 1.5M and up dollar for dollar best deal on the east coat. most communities have a home owners park with boat ramp and some amenity's. I personally don't like the west coat because Florida has an east coat breeze most always and I've found the west coast to be extremally hot during the summer months. water on the beaches is like bath water not to mention the algae blooms. The only set back in the keys is the weekender traffic we have had the past few years. you tend to not venture out on weekends at least that's in the upper keys. GOOD LUCK  
    The worst day of fishing is still better than the best day of work:\
  • keylargo359keylargo359 Posts: 1,272 Officer
    One more thing House trailers on canals with access start at 450 to 650 with some as high as 900k to 1.2M on open water lots.
    The worst day of fishing is still better than the best day of work:\
  • brianbbrianb Posts: 2,440 Captain
    If you wanna move to FL that's cool, but FYI, moving to Fl to save money is a long gone theory.  If I had a house budget of 600k and a 34cc I'm sure there are others places to "save" money. SoFLo would be the absolute last place to save money as well.  
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 15,118 AG
    I think you're better off moving to Galveston if you want to fish.  
    Yesterday's memories are not today's reality
    Or Louisiana...
    Or Louisiana...
    Louisiana would be a dream to go out and fish those oil platforms for tuna.   I'd love that.  But again I think you have to have a 26 minimum and twins.  like everything else
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 1,371 Officer
    Take a look at the St. Pete area. Nice style of life, housing is affordable, fishing in the bay as well as offshore is still pretty good. Lots of boat ramps and dry racks as well. Best of both worlds is to buy on the water with a boat lift.
    CaptJ said:
    Take a look at the St. Pete area. Nice style of life, housing is affordable, fishing in the bay as well as offshore is still pretty good. Lots of boat ramps and dry racks as well. Best of both worlds is to buy on the water with a boat lift.
    UGH, another one for St pete!   it's everything you describe. i just wish it was a better kept secret 
    Or Louisiana...
    Louisiana would be a dream to go out and fish those oil platforms for tuna.   I'd love that.  But again I think you have to have a 26 minimum and twins.  like everything else
    He said he has a 34’ center console.
    Or Louisiana...
    i meant me.   I couldn't drag my 21 bay boat up to Louisiana and fish those oil platforms.   
    Yeah, don’t try that!☠️
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 1,011 Officer
    CaptJ said:
    Your data on St. Pete affordability is out of date.  1,100 sq ft in a decent (not fancy) neighborhood that is nowhere near the water will cost you $375,000.  Even more if you're buying new construction.  St. Pete housing market has detonated.
  • cortrcortr Posts: 386 Deckhand
    There are plenty of platforms along the LA coast that are easily accessible by bay boat. Venice, Grand Isle, Rockefeller all have rigs safely reachable by bay boat
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 790 Officer
      Naples,forget it.Fishing terrible,red tide all over,hot
    in the summer,cold in the winter,very expensive.
       Signed..................... 15 year resident of Naples.

si
  • Sixth GenerationSixth Generation Posts: 905 Officer
    Riviera Beach is where you want to be.  Just west of US 1.
    I thought Loxahatchee was kind of a cool area to be honest.   
  • gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 1,799 Captain
    Or Louisiana...
    i meant me.   I couldn't drag my 21 bay boat up to Louisiana and fish those oil platforms.   
    Why not ??  On a decent day with a good forecast, I wouldn't hesitate.  What difference if you get caught in a squall at 10 miles out or 30 ??  Just be sure your SeaTow is paid up with a single engine boat.
    gogittum said:
    Or Louisiana...
    Why not ??  On a decent day with a good forecast, I wouldn't hesitate.  What difference if you get caught in a squall at 10 miles out or 30 ??  Just be sure your SeaTow is paid up with a single engine boat.
    towboat US ;)
  • bigfinn35bigfinn35 Sarasota/VenicePosts: 875 Officer
    Like others have said, this depends some on what kind of offshore fishing you want to do (though trailering the boat cross-state isn't out of the question either if you want a taste of the other coast). East coast has much more accessible pelagic fishing due to how close the Gulfstream runs to shore in deep water, but west coast was way more good bottom fishing area. 
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
  • brianbbrianb Posts: 2,440 Captain
    It's a half hour haul to the ramp, at least, and not getting any better this century.
    brianb said:
    It's a half hour haul to the ramp, at least, and not getting any better this century.
    better then my 92 miles to Tampa, or 50 miles to Weekie Wachie.   I wish I was 30 min from a boat ramp to salt water.