Home General Paddle Craft

Miami snook

JSnooker2006JSnooker2006 MiamiPosts: 31 Deckhand
I have been fishing in Miami for 7 years and have only caught 2 snook that where about 24 inches, I have found snook over 40 in the coral gables waterway but they don’t bite I have throw live mullet dead mullet head and live shrimp and they don’t bite I use 30 pound flouro and fish under the mayanada bridge but I can’t get one to bite is there anything I’m doing wrong or should I try a different location

Replies

• krashkrash Posts: 741 Officer
    I'd be casting top-water spook's at sun rise, and big paddle tail's after the sun rises.

Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • JSnooker2006JSnooker2006 MiamiPosts: 31 Deckhand
    have u fished there?

• Sixth GenerationSixth Generation Posts: 910 Officer
    I havent fished there but big snook can get lock jaw fairly easily.  If you can see them, they can see you as well...  Current, low light is best.  Presentation is also key.  Sometimes you have to allow the bait to drift by with the current and not pin it on the bottom with weight, even though i have caught them like that as well.  A jumbo shrimp free lined with a 1/4 oz split shot on a 5/0 Owner mutu light circle hook is what I use on 40 lb flouro.  I have fished bridges and marina docks and you have to slip in on them.  They have seen lots of tricks and the less they know they are being targeted the better.  Good luck and I hope you catch one over 40"!
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,563 Captain
    i fished that small tributary many years ago when i has access to a house near that bridge for ten years. Caught scores of snook and lost a few mogans. Watched a friend catch a couple in the 21-24 lb range. After just a couple of years most of the fish under 8 lbs knew who i was since i released every snook i caught, but my friend did not release the two mogans he landed at a different spot on the same tributary..I would not post here how I developed a technique to catch them
    Giimoozaabi
    Can u dm me what ur technique was
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,563 Captain
    edited May 8 #7
    Can u dm me what ur technique was.

I would like to keep my technique a secrete. It would not work from a kayak or from the shoreline under a bridge.  You should not sight fish for them and increase your distance to 40 yd's from where you think they are laying and even that might be too close.

Giimoozaabi
  • kayakerinkeywestkayakerinkeywest Posts: 619 Officer
    Big fish are lazy when not actively feeding.  Catch some Mullet, cut them up in chunks, throw a handful out followed by a chunk on a bare hook (no weight).  Leave the bail open or loosen the drag, and just wait.  You are just wanting to get them eating (easy meal).  Night time is when most of those big boys feed and increase your odds if you do as well.
    Youtube - KEY WEST KAYAK FISHING https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkGY6yxE8kogYHKXisMhA2w
    All About The Bait Store - http://www.allaboutthebait.com/
  • JW_YakAnglerJW_YakAngler NaplesPosts: 289 Deckhand
    I was going to say try at night as well. All my biggest snook have been caught at night.
    My YouTube channel: JakeW KayakFishing
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 3,115 Captain
    Big fish are lazy when not actively feeding.  Catch some Mullet, cut them up in chunks, throw a handful out followed by a chunk on a bare hook (no weight).  Leave the bail open or loosen the drag, and just wait.  You are just wanting to get them eating (easy meal).  Night time is when most of those big boys feed and increase your odds if you do as well.
    Big fish like easy meals....a lot of big tarpon are taken in this manner also.
    Thx for the help I will try all of these tips and hopefully catch a monster

• aboveboredabovebored Posts: 1,315 Officer
    As previously stated, night time is the right time.
  • krashkrash Posts: 741 Officer
    MOre Snook are caught at night than any other time, specially big ones.
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish