Home General Hunting

preference points

meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 743 Officer
whats the most points you ever had and still not get number one choice       last year had 5 blackpowder points and got my third choice which i returned.   hopefully 6 will do it this year.

Replies

• hoggatorhoggator Posts: 415 Deckhand
  • MCSHunterMCSHunter Posts: 670 Officer
    Yeah, 5 points is not that bad to not get a good WMA hunt. I wasted 7 points three years ago on a late season ML hunt only to have 90 degree temps ruin it for us. I now have 7 or 8 archery points I plan to put to good use this year.
  • MissedMissed O-townPosts: 470 Deckhand
    I've not gone over 3 on FL hunts yet.

Crazy we need 5+ points to hunt locally.
  • HollywoodcorollaHollywoodcorolla Posts: 589 Officer
    5.  Got to love fight club 
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 1,727 Captain
    I talked to a guy that had 12 for gun and couldn’t get on a particular spot... Forget that!.. I said what are you going to wait 20 years to get on that hunt?
  • needtohuntmoreneedtohuntmore MelbournePosts: 499 Deckhand
    I apply to 100s of hunts every year around the world.  Some take 25+ points.
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 4,258 Captain
    **** all that!
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 3,033 Captain
    Big Mak said:
    **** all that!
    *except on Spring Turkey
    Actually Ron, I'll attempt to work with 1-2 preffys, but I'll be damned if I gotta **** around for 5-25 years, for any animal. That's why I quit hunting iowa. I refuse to play that game where it takes 3-4 years to hunt up there.

I think I've said it before, I'll quit hunting before it gets to that point. No wonder people are poaching.
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 2,507 Captain
    No preference needed for my romp and stomp. I occasionally try a quota to hunt with some buds and returned a Spring T hunt because they caught Covid. I love hunting but not waiting on a draw to do it. At my age, I treasure each season. 
  • needtohuntmoreneedtohuntmore MelbournePosts: 499 Deckhand
    I get two to three really good hunts every year.  It’s expensive but if you know how to play the game you can get some good hunts.  It’s all we got left.
  • FloridahuntFloridahunt Palm BeachPosts: 129 Deckhand
    The place I want is pretty stingy with preference points, hopefully I get something this year but I got nothing on any of the hunts last year. I don’t care if I have to get a muzzle loader or bow. I’m open to hunting anywhere within an hour and a half drive from me though.
    I get two to three really good hunts every year.  It’s expensive but if you know how to play the game you can get some good hunts.  It’s all we got left.
    Pretty much - gotta play the game.

I'm getting less and less inclined to hunt. 
    Gave up GA lease - too much money and the local guys hunted the heck out of it. 
    Good to travel a few more times - hoping to draw out of state this year. 
    FL hunts are so short, can't really get into them - just shoot the first legal thing that walks by pretty much. 
    Looking at a few more guided hunts in the future while the old man is still able - ducks, quail, that kind of thing.
  • meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 743 Officer
    thanks for the responces    yea waiting 5 or more years to hunt a certain wma is a joke    since half of the awarded permit holders are no shows anyway        i still hunt all over florida and a few other states just want this one place close to home      the real question is can i still post on facebook and woods and water     public land bruiser down   public land monsta buck   public land stud kills a stud     even though its not actually public land if you gotta wait 5 plus years to hunt it.
  • josh_scott84josh_scott84 Palm HarborPosts: 778 Officer
    Monsta Buck - Didn't go 20  :D
  • buckfeverbuckfever Posts: 170 Deckhand
    I've got 10 points for deer in CO.  Getting close to being able to draw a good tag. 

I laugh when I hear people on here complaining about the cost of special opportunity hunts or the wma fees.  Try applying in new Mexico.  $8000 to apply this year and 2 months before the drawing/refunds. 
    Hunting is steadily migrating from a rich man's sport to a uber wealthy man's sport. These ain't your great grand daddys woods any more.
  • FloridahuntFloridahunt Palm BeachPosts: 129 Deckhand
    Big Mak said:
    Hunting is steadily migrating from a rich man's sport to a uber wealthy man's sport. These ain't your great grand daddys woods any more.
    Got that right I’m thinking about hitting up 2 guys and a hog just to get something in my freezer. It’s a stupid long drive for me though.
    buckfever said:
    I've got 10 points for deer in CO.  Getting close to being able to draw a good tag. 

I laugh when I hear people on here complaining about the cost of special opportunity hunts or the wma fees.  Try applying in new Mexico.  $8000 to apply this year and 2 months before the drawing/refunds. 
    I got my CO buck on 0 points but not a mtn  hunt. 

8000 is too rich for my blood.  

If it’s over 3,000 I gotta think about it.  When it hit 3000 to hunt GA, I quit.  Not worth 250 a month to me.
  • Ol MuckyOl Mucky Posts: 5,559 Admiral
    I’m sitting on 7 currently for a FL quota

I have a much bigger and more powerful button
  • gottheitch22gottheitch22 fort Meade FLPosts: 4,413 Captain
    meateater said:
    whats the most points you ever had and still not get number one choice       last year had 5 blackpowder points and got my third choice which i returned.   hopefully 6 will do it this year.
    I've got 6 points for all mine . Got second week for all 3 hunts last year but returned them .
    living life as i like
  • creekgeekcreekgeek Posts: 1,099 Officer
    You guys just keep returning your third draws and I'll keep patiently waiting for the unsuccessfuls to turn into a "permit awarded" here and there in the redraws. Find a few good hunt buddies to trade years of guesting/preference points, stop thinking you have to hunt trophies, and just enjoy some time in the woods. Put your scouting time in on public land and you can still put some meat in the freezer.
    creekgeek said:
    You guys just keep returning your third draws and I'll keep patiently waiting for the unsuccessfuls to turn into a "permit awarded" here and there in the redraws. Find a few good hunt buddies to trade years of guesting/preference points, stop thinking you have to hunt trophies, and just enjoy some time in the woods. Put your scouting time in on public land and you can still put some meat in the freezer.

whats a trophy      permit only good for 2 hunters so cant really trade years with a few guys     unless the guys dont know you got deals with several of them     now thats a idea   thanks

• daveycdaveyc tampa bayPosts: 137 Deckhand
    need to contact FWC -since seems like all done in real-time now- allow quotas to be returned to system after the "10 days before hunt" (if affects preference points or not) -so more redraws available-----also restrict/charge nonresident , who now only need wma permit to apply-- especially folks wanting to harvest osceola, who are limiting redraw chances
    a large percentage of re draws go unused    guys just randomly apply for areas not concerned whether they can make it or not      then dont return cause theres no penalty      if up to me only 1 re draw per person per season      archery blackpowder gen gun spring turkey         
    Redraws are the only thing keeping me hunting in FL for the most part. God bless 'em if we're gonna have quotas.
    Redraws are the only thing keeping me hunting in FL for the most part. God bless 'em if we're gonna have quotas.
    edited May 13 #29
    meateater said:
    a large percentage of re draws go unused    guys just randomly apply for areas not concerned whether they can make it or not      then dont return cause theres no penalty      if up to me only 1 re draw per person per season      archery blackpowder gen gun spring turkey         
    Its such a FUBAR system.  My group considers it LUCKY if we get 1 redraw for the 5 of us during Turkey season. 10 days out from a hunt is too long in my opinion to know if weather and everything is going to be good. In order to get that 1 redraw out of 5 people for a whole season you have to throw more chances towards the board. I have 200,000 acres of public land within 30 minutes of me and ALL of it has hunting limited by some means (Quota, 3 day per week hunting only, etc). 5 Deer tags per Deer Permit, 2 Turkey Tags per Turkey Permit. Then open up the peoples land to the people. Ill stay out of YOUR woods then....
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 9,039 Admiral
    edited May 13 #30
    I've got 1,275 Quota Permit points..
    Give's me 93 Thousand Acres of private land that has lot's of game.
    Starts at my back fence.
    I feel for you guys I've kinda been there. Good Luck
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    I've got 1,275 Quota Permit points..
    Give's me 93 Thousand Acres of private land that has lot's of game.
    Starts at my back fence.
    I feel for you guys I've kinda been there. Good Luck
    You are still beholding to someone else for that 93,000.  It could be gone in a blink just like that Lykes land.....dont blink.  I did and 9000 acres in Palm Beach county was gone before I knew what I had. Enjoy.