Home General Hunting

Hogs # 101

Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 9,039 Admiral
Pink Root , Also known as Carolina Red Root.
It's a preferred food source till the acorns drop.

Fields of it getting tore up nightly right down the road...Think Soggy Pine lands and full sun.
Killin and Grillin :grin

Replies

• harbisonharbison Posts: 5,015 Admiral
    They love it! 
  • FloridahuntFloridahunt Palm BeachPosts: 129 Deckhand
    Hunting with an AR? I’m getting my red dot sighted so I can do some of that for hogs next season. Maybe it’s just me but seems like it’s getting pretty popular lately.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 9,039 Admiral
    6.8 SPC..
    I had it custom built for me about 10 years ago.
    Never really liked it much and my Go To Rifle was a break barrel single shot 35 Rem. CVA Scout.
    I love that little Rifle but the AR is so Easy Carry and lightweight as well.
    Hunted with it last year and as I drive my ATV thru the woods it fits real nice hanging right in front of me , Always ready.
    Had a Doe and a Buck jump the road in front of me last year  , He stopped and looked back.. He's in the freezer cause the AR was ready and I just swung it up...DRT Neck shot.
    6.8 is really 308..It hurts
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • HollywoodcorollaHollywoodcorolla Posts: 589 Officer
    Ar 300 blackout is a great round for animals down here.  Like shooting an 223 but harder hitting 
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,234 AG
    I have a ruger ranch in 6.8 for running dogs. 
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 5,015 Admiral
    If it's a ruger i's the best! 
  • Big Bend BrianBig Bend Brian Posts: 1,443 Officer

Good to see you having fun TRT (as always). AR’s are a perfect solution for hogs. I too really like my 6.8 SPC. Mine is mated to a thermal which makes for a great hog tool! Thermal is a game changer.

The 300 BlackOut is a big step up from the 5.56/223 and was fun with Night Vision but for me only up to 100 yards. I’m inundated with hogs in my hunt club and have a few on our farm that need wacking. They keep making more………

Brian

• JohnnyBanditJohnnyBandit Posts: 8,891 Admiral
    In the old days we just popped them with .22;s