Home General Fishing

Would you pay $300.00 to harvest a Jewfish?

conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 11,786 AG
Talking about opening up a lottery and a $300.00 fee to harvest a Jewfish. This is the most serious proposal yet but I doubt it will come to fruition. The $300.00 is a little steep IMO. Not fair to the average guy that would want a chance to keep one. I wouldn't give them $300.00

https://www.yahoo.com/news/florida-weighs-allowing-limited-harvest-123717439.html

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Replies

• poncedoradoponcedorado Posts: 715 Officer
    I wouldn't be interested. the "per week" note sounds weird; say you buy one, wind howls for a week and you don't get to go, $300 license expires anyway? No thank you

However if you got one in the upper end of the size range, say 150lbs, estimate 70lbs of fillets, $300 / 70 = $4.29 incremental cost per lb of grouper. Not necessarily crazy considering gags and blacks in most areas of the state require more fuel and time to find and are almost certainly lower yield unless you limit out on really nice ones
  • bocapup1bocapup1 Posts: 1,502 Captain
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 1,973 Captain
    The tag should be good for a longer period of time. I still wouldn’t pay $300 for one. ..oh, you can’t say Je- fish anymore!..😜
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 12,670 AG
    I would not.
    Hell, I'm pissed about lobster and snook stamps.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 5,165 Admiral
    Stupid amount of money for a tag. Heck, i
    only spend $325.00 for an out of state Georgia hunting  license and big game stamp, and that gives my the right to kill a dozen deer, two
    turkeys, and all the hogs I want. The big jewfish aren’t worth a heck to eat, either. That proposal is nothing more than the FWC trying to
    act like they’re trying to open a chance for us to keep one. 
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 1,138 Officer
    Supply and demand.  400 tags over a period of 4 years, they'll find that number of people willing to pay $300 without any problems.  As far as being fair to "the average guy", I say F 'em.  It's a limited resource with limited long term harvest potential; the state might as well try and get the highest value that it can get per head.  If they're going to sell all 400 tags over the 4 year period regardless of price, why should they/we settle for less than the market will bear?  Wanting to keep a goliath is a purely voluntary thing, and is not something anyone needs to survive or get by.  If the state wants to raise funds for research (and the total of $120,000 over 4 years isn't much research) by suckering folks who want to harvest a giant fish to make them feel like their coconuts are bigger than they are, why not gouge the suckers?

Face facts:  The population of Florida is expanding and will continue to expand and swell into the less populated areas.  That genie isn't going back into the bottle.  With that, we have more people on the water and harvesting fish.  X number of harvestable fish in the water, divided by an ever increasing number of those wanting in on the fishing action.  So long as the number of people keeps going up, the number of fish per person will go down.  We can winge and pine about losing the way things were, but that's not going to set back the clock.
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,854 Captain
    No, never..........
    I bet there are plenty of instagramers that will.
    Something needs to be done as they are way past getting out of control.  The fish that is.
  • MissedMissed O-townPosts: 590 Officer
    I would.  Once in a lifetime opportunity.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 11,786 AG
    Growing up fishing with my father we probably caught at least two jewfish per month sometimes more so I won’t say we caught hundreds of them but I know at least over one hundred and we utilized all of the meat including the heads. We used cotton rope hand-lines. There was no sport involved it was just for harvesting meat. I would never pay $300 to harvest another one. 

― Ernest Hemingway

• EngguyEngguy Posts: 197 Deckhand
    How about a "Slot" size and a $50.00 and you get a tag like deer hurters?? After you catch the fish you tear off part and attache to the fish...That may keep people honest and let us harvast a few Jewfish.

Engguy said:
    How about a "Slot" size and a $50.00 and you get a tag like deer hurters?? After you catch the fish you tear off part and attache to the fish...That may keep people honest and let us harvast a few Jewfish.

That would be too logical.

― Ernest Hemingway

• 10kman10kman Posts: 889 Officer
      This should not be about monies for the
    state,but reduce a killing machine.Second,
    if you want to reduce the population of
    the 10-15lb.goliaths in the backcountry,then 
    go after the fish here not the 400lb.fish near
    channels markers.

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 10,449 AG
    Everybody knows there's no Jewfish in the back country...

Killin and Grillin :grin
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 16,361 AG
    I would not.  But i'd be happy some were harvested.  
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • Sixth GenerationSixth Generation Posts: 910 Officer
    They do need to take a few of the large ones IMO, but I have heard that the big ones can be mushy flesh sometimes.  That would suck to pay the money, harvest a fish, and then it not be table worthy...
    i don't think the big ones are good eating at all i thought people just wanted something to hang on their wall to show how much of a bad*** they are.  
  • poncedoradoponcedorado Posts: 715 Officer
    It'd be a good opportunity for guides to pass on the permit cost to clients with a markup. Charge an extra $500 or so for their annual goliath grouper harvest trip & get the big fish photos all over social media for the tourists
    It'd be a good opportunity for guides to pass on the permit cost to clients with a markup. Charge an extra $500 or so for their annual goliath grouper harvest trip & get the big fish photos all over social media for the tourists
    Making the tags transferable would be problematic.  That would open a secondary market for reselling them at a higher rate or possibly individuals hoarding the tags, trying to corner the market.  Last thing we want to see is quota tags showing up on Ebay, though this is not that different from the commercial catch quota marketplace.
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 3,923 Captain
    Engguy said:

No, but this sounds like a more reasonable method.
    Engguy said:

No, but this sounds like a more reasonable method.
    That's how they did it (maybe still do?) for over slot redfish in Texas when I was living there.  Each fishing license came with a tear off tag to be attached to the fish's tail.  It kept the honest people honest, but didn't do squat about the dishonest people.  Most folks just tossed the fish in the cooler and used the tag if they saw someone checking fish.
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 2,075 Captain
    Unfortunately rules only keep the honest honest. 
  • MulletMaster239MulletMaster239 Southwest FloridaPosts: 873 Officer
    Definitely not.  All I harvest is what I use for bait.  Wouldn’t surprise me one day in the future if big bro hit us with a $300 threadfin stamp.
  • MissedMissed O-townPosts: 590 Officer
    Folks would be applying  for these tags from all across the country, possibly the globe (England anyway).  Not many places you can go and have a realistic chance to catch a 400# fish on rod and reel while the wife and kids are having fun in a resort.

I'll be signing up.  You guys who say you won't, make sure you don't.  
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 5,165 Admiral
    You must have missed the part about it being legal to catch and release them now. At $300.00 each to keep one fish that pretty much sucks as table fair, I don’t think they will sell 50 a year. 
  • RennieRaeRennieRae Posts: 790 Officer
    There was no sport involved it was just for harvesting meat. I would never pay $300 to harvest another one. 
    Since you have experience eating them (as myself and probably most others don't), is your reasoning for not paying to harvest one because they are not good enough to eat, or that you have already eaten some and aren't interested in doing it anymore?  Honest question here. 
    Bob 

17 ft. Ankona Native with 40 hp Suzuki 4 stroke 
  • bottom feederbottom feeder Posts: 1,617 Captain
    Are the big ones any good to eat?  No one has answered that.  What did they do with all the big one they used to shoot?

Leaving Florida... take a developer with you!

pottydoc said:
    You must have missed the part about it being legal to catch and release them now. At $300.00 each to keep one fish that pretty much sucks as table fair, I don’t think they will sell 50 a year. 
    i think they will sell 50 a year easy.   too many guys who want to pump their chest and hang one of those on the wall. 
  • tankeredtankered Gainesvill, FlPosts: 1,385 Officer
    I bet they're tasty up to about 50 lbs or so. 

Would it be worth 300 bucks? Not to me. 
    edited May 2021 #30
    Are the big ones any good to eat?  No one has answered that.  What did they do with all the big one they used to shoot?
    Jewfish are very good to eat but I prefer 60 to 120 pound range for eating. They are easier to handle and the flesh is a little softer. We made fish chowder out of the meat from the heads we used to boil the back bones to eat the meat out of them for our boiled fish and grits. We then cut the fillets like a steak and gently pounded them a little bit with a meat hammer real thin and then breaded and fried them similar to chicken fried steak or in Spanish “empanazado”. We always shared with family and neighbors when we had extra.

― Ernest Hemingway

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,631 Captain
      Very bad idea.... Next week when I’m off the water I’ll go over what I actually proposed to the FWC about goliaths... in person a few years back...

They started some research but red tide troubles pretty much sidetracked them last I heard.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666