Skip to main content
Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Tarpon off the beach

JI843JI843 North CaptivaPosts: 2 Greenhorn
Headed down to stay with my family in North Captiva starting this Saturday to next. Hauling our 20 ft. CC for transportation purposes, but decided to bring our rods down to try to catch a tarpon/hit up some of the nearshore reefs/passes. I've gotten some good advice from some guys at one of the tackle shops about what to throw for tarpon, but I wanted to see if they're running off the beaches yet and if they're not where they're at. We don't have any experience tarpon fishing and I don't want to get in anyone's way in Boca Grande pass, so trying to find somewhere other than that. Aside from tarpon, does anyone have advice on cobia/bottom fish at the nearshore reefs (less than 10 miles). Thanks in advance for the help!

Replies

• Cabowabo72Cabowabo72 Long Boat KeyPosts: 34 Deckhand
    You'll be here week of new moon. You just got to find them they will be chewin
  • DodgerDodger Ft MyersPosts: 298 Deckhand
    Find a reef on the FWC reef finder site.  https://myfwc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/View/index.html?appid=4675e1db32ac43a9a4308e757965d17d
    I fish much further south so the reefs I fish are further than 10 miles for you. Figure out the current, anchor, set up a chum slick and you will catch something!  Fish all depths of the water column including a live bait on top for Kings, cobia, cuda etc.  If you chum, they will find you!  Shrimp, squid and live baits like pinfish will get it done!
  • qotsaautopilotqotsaautopilot Posts: 82 Deckhand
    Going to be in the are week days June 21-25?  Is that too late to for tarpon on the beaches?  I know that’s still prime time a bit further north.  How are the numbers of rolling fish off captiva that time?
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 2,667 Captain
    Some years no issue.  Some years they are off to spawn.  Never know.  Could be gone and back by then too.  Just depends on their moods.  Their should still be some around regardless but the big schools may have gone offshore for some nookie nookie.
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013
    Thanks for the response.  Where is a good place to get crabs out of South Seas?  
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 2,667 Captain
    Looks like you are there during a major moon phase so tide will be CRANKING.  Should be flushing in any all those major passes.  Can just scoop them up with a long net on the strong outgoing tides.

This is boca grande but should be similar.  Or pay $40 a dozen or whatever ridiculous price they are charging.

M   21      Low   3:16 AM     1.0   6:36 AM     Set  3:44 AM      78
        21     High  10:28 AM     1.7   8:26 PM    Rise  5:15 PM
        21      Low   5:16 PM    -0.1

Tu  22     High   1:04 AM     1.0   6:37 AM     Set  4:28 AM      87
        22      Low   3:49 AM     1.2   8:26 PM    Rise  6:25 PM
        22     High  11:04 AM     1.8
        22      Low   6:13 PM    -0.4

W   23     High   2:28 AM     1.0   6:37 AM     Set  5:18 AM      94
        23      Low   4:16 AM     1.4   8:26 PM    Rise  7:36 PM
        23     High  11:45 AM     1.9
        23      Low   7:06 PM    -0.6

Th  24     High  12:29 PM     2.0   6:37 AM     Set  6:15 AM      98
        24      Low   7:58 PM    -0.6   8:26 PM    Rise  8:44 PM

F   25     High   1:16 PM     2.0   6:37 AM     Set  7:18 AM      99
        25      Low   8:48 PM    -0.6   8:26 PM    Rise  9:46 PM

In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013
    Thanks.  Was definitely planning on dipping just wanted to know where we could buy if we get in a pinch