Home General Freshwater Fishing

Anybody know of a shop in FL that sells old-style, ONE-PIECE 10' cane poles?

MudchickenMudchicken Lakeport, FLPosts: 22 Deckhand
Anybody know of a shop in FL that sells old-style, ONE-PIECE 10' cane poles?

All I can find are 2-piece ones.  Would really like to find some one-piece 10-footers so my little boy can catch his first fish on a real canepole.  Not interested in telescoping, or two-piece, or fiberglass.

Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

Replies

• JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,658 Captain
    My buddy owns this shop and has some really nice ones. I’d imagine he’d ship if you pay. Ask for Tom

One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,637 Moderator
    As a kid we used to cut our own. Don't have to be bamboo.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • ivnivn gvillePosts: 143 Deckhand
    Indeed. Cut yer own.  Rite of passage.  I liked using crepe myrtle, and our property had some very long tall skinny oaks.

And here I am at 50 years old, eyeballing the 75' tall budda belly bamboo and wondering about making a massive cane pole.  Fortunately I got a pond to fish in maybe 100 yards away, but I'd love to take such a beast out to a public pier or something to see reactions.

• JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,658 Captain

One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • MudchickenMudchicken Lakeport, FLPosts: 22 Deckhand
    Jones—-thank you. 

I happened to find some at Slim’s Fish Camp a little closer but I also spoke to Tom.  When I am up that way, I am going to pick up a few as well. 
  • gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 2,469 Captain
    How do you plan to rig them for the kids ??  (and you  :))
  • Terry RavenscraftTerry Ravenscraft Posts: 272 Deckhand
    Plenty of bamboo...ask and people would be glad to provide you with enough .
  • MudchickenMudchicken Lakeport, FLPosts: 22 Deckhand
    Gogittum:

Same way my dad would do it for me about 35 years ago.  We’d tie off just before one of the small joints in the pole but leave 18” of mono or so on the tag end.  Then we’d tie the tag end off again to the pole maybe a foot further down into the stiffer end of the tip toward the thick end. That way we had a real nice soft tip to play a fish but if you hooked into something bigger than anticipated and the tip broke, you had a backup tie-off in a stouter part of the pole. 

We landed several large catfish and bass to 6-7lbs (on minnows) like this. Lost plenty too, but that’s all part of it. 
    Gogittum:

Same way my dad would do it for me about 35 years ago.  We’d tie off just before one of the small joints in the pole but leave 18” of mono or so on the tag end.  Then we’d tie the tag end off again to the pole maybe a foot further down into the stiffer end of the tip toward the thick end. That way we had a real nice soft tip to play a fish but if you hooked into something bigger than anticipated and the tip broke, you had a backup tie-off in a stouter part of the pole. 

We landed several large catfish and bass to 6-7lbs (on minnows) like this. Lost plenty too, but that’s all part of it. 
    Don't know if you'll remember my story about my uncle taking me Trout fishing on Vivian Creek when I was ~8 years old, but that's exactly the way we rigged our Vine Maple "poles" with button thread.  Nice to know it works here, too, with bamboo. 

What weight of mono do you use ??  I assume about 6# test ??  Make it the length of the rod ??  My 2 bamboo sticks are still out there curing, but not much luck in straightening them.  Don't matter much, I guess - they'll be bent some in use anyway.  
  • chaser48chaser48 San Mateo Fla.Posts: 278 Deckhand
    Tie the top in something tall tie a brick to end and let dry ,when dry varnish it
    chaser48 said:
    Tie the top in something tall tie a brick to end and let dry ,when dry varnish it
    That's basically what I'm doing.  Drilled holes in the lowest sections, screwed them to a plank with tips curled up and hung weights on them.  It's been a couple weeks and they look straight, but that'll likely change when I take the weights off.  Not a biggie.  It'll be fun watching them bounce.

Can't believe how much weight the big bamboo push pole has lost since I repaired it.  Like a feather now.
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 3,203 Captain
    When we’d get a really big fish usually a cat or bass on our cane pole, we’d let the pole go and follow it with the boat and pick it up when it stopped, if fish still had a lot of fight lay the pole down and let him drag it again. Caught some really good fish on a bream hook and six pound test.