Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

The Hill?

I've never caught a black fin tuna and I really want to. I read something recently about "the hill".  I can't find anything online and I was wondering if someone here knows about it and where it might be. Or if you have any other advice regarding tuna.  

Replies

• xeniaxenia Posts: 976 Officer
    They are a standard on the humps off the middle keys.  When charter boats can't find anything else the go-to fish is blackfin on the humps, much like amberjack on the wrecks off Dade, Broward and Palm Beach.  Not sure what you mean by "Hill".  Maybe someone with local knowledge can fill you in on that.  Don't worry, I won't be taking notes so their secret is safe.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 9,540 Admiral
    I fish Broward and don't know about the "Hill" unless you are talking about the Hollywood Hills which is Swordfishing grounds, not ideal for BFTs.

Edit: I see you are off of Stuart so that changes things. Local knowledge is required.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• ParkRanger1ParkRanger1 StuartPosts: 11 Deckhand
    I was hoping to target them from my home port SLI. I read about the hill in a coastal angler magazine. Probably BS just trying to gain some knowledge. Im trying to shorten the learning curve from inshore west coast fisherman to offshore east coast. Im Probably going to just put my time in for a while. 
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 3,084 Captain
    May and June are good months for Blackfin in SE Florida.  I take most of mine vertical jigging, but they like live baits and trolled feathers also.
  • Aquaholic IVAquaholic IV Posts: 925 Officer
    No secret spots as Sea Tow publishes a nice list of reefs.  Here it is, Push Button Hill:  Push Button Hole - 27 11.750  79.58.080   Push Button North - 27 10.950  79 57.65    Push Button South - 27  09.950  79  56.850
  • ParkRanger1ParkRanger1 StuartPosts: 11 Deckhand
    Thanks y'all. I looked it up 13 miles or so from SLI. Seems doable on the right day. I only have at 20' WA so I won't be venturing that far out unless it's super calm. Something about trying to punch through the gulf stream makes me nervous in that small of a boat. 
  • MissedMissed O-townPosts: 468 Deckhand
    PR - i run that far in an 18 ft aluminum and 60 hp tiller.  If you have sides, you're fine.  That boat can handle more water than you can.

Like you said, pick your days.