Skip to main content
Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

(2006) Yamaha 150 4 stroke

After oil (and lower unit) oil change water/fuel replacement I took the boat out this weekend and after about 15 minutes the boat would sputter and stall out at idle. Ran smooth as ever when throttled up but shortly after going out of gear it would do it again. Only way it would crank back up was to pump the ball a few times and it would crank fine and off we go. Nothing sounded off when running, no alarms,  no indication of an issue other than the stalling at idle??? Any ideas before I get knee deep in this. Anyone experienced this before??
Looked around the Internet and saw about 50 different directions to start from but figured I would ask here first. 
Thanks! D

Replies

• tmantman Posts: 178 Deckhand
    Did you have fuel filters replaced?  Sounds like you might have a little air in the fuel system since you have to pump the ball to get it to start when it stalls.
  • The MidgeThe Midge Posts: 502 Officer
    I do. I have the inline water/fuel (replaced) and the one on the actual motor which looked fine. 
  • Wallhanger10Wallhanger10 NortheastPosts: 16 Deckhand
    Sounds like inline filter. Could be loose or cracked. Happened to me.
  • jmac7469jmac7469 Posts: 179 Deckhand
    Air getting into the fuel system would be were I would start.
  • DoradoDreaminDoradoDreamin Posts: 2,105 Captain
    Also try replacing the ball if it doesn't look in good shape.  Small leak can let air in.  Has happened to me.
    I will check the ball this Friday for sure. Would this only happen (air getting in) when the motor is in neutral, that is when it was stalling on me. 
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 2,792 Captain
    Is it misfiring on plane or running normal? It only stalls out in neutral? When’s the last time you fueled up?
    No misfire at all. Ran fine until I put it in neutral then it would run for a few seconds and stall out like it was running out of gas or something. I would give the ball a few squeezes and crank it back up and off we go. 
  • C2 H5 OH manC2 H5 OH man Posts: 199 Deckhand
    I have same engine, and the exact same thing occurred. The inline fuel filter container on the engine , not the the big one in the bilge, the little plastic one under the cowling was cracked and letting air into the system and the same thing happened to me. Got home on the trolling motor.  Replaced the plastic container, problem fixed....
    10-4. I will check that immediately! Thank you. 
    Wanted to update the situation......... Finally made it to the boat storage to address the situation. Started with the primer bulb no issue, looked good. Checked the water fuel separator for any leaks or sign of anything, looked good. Pulled the cowling off to check the fuel filter on the motor and there it was!! I guess when I checked it during my maintenance I didn’t screw the **** thing back on tight enough. It needed about another full rotation to completely seal it. Done deal with the help of you guys and I didn’t have to spend a dime!!! Thanks everyone for chiming in with advice!!! 
    D
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 2,792 Captain
    Awesome , I hate handing money to a mechanic, thanks for the update, it my help another member oneday
  • tmantman Posts: 178 Deckhand
    Nice, that is awesome.  Glad it ended up being an easy fix.
  • BottomBumpinBottomBumpin Jax BeachPosts: 1,880 Captain
    NICE!!  glad it worked out and good reminder for us all!   had a issue where I went out to run the boat in the front yard a few minutes since I hadn't been out in a month... no power.. figured it might be the batteries so I pulled them and they were low but I re-charged them cleaned the terminals good and checked all connectors..... didn't help... called my buddy to come see if he could figure it out and I had power to the motor but wouldn't turn over.. he thought it might be the throttle system sticking and since it was old and didn't sit upright anyway I thought I would get a new one anyway.. while at the shop I mentioned the issue to a mechanic standing there and then the owner chimed in from across the room 'Check the inline fuse' FIRST!  mechanic showed me where to check and BAM!  that was it.  saved a couple hundred but prob should have posted here but I didn't.. lesson learned and this is another reminder that we (well some) do help each other when we can!