Home Off Topic

Any watch Enthusiast/collectors on here? What you got

2»

Replies

• dave44dave44 Posts: 14,063 AG
    Earlier I said that I could care less about having a watch because I’m retired. Having said that, I think  a working pocket watch would be pretty cool. I just don’t like to wear stuff on my body. I only wear my wedding band when we go out for formal occasions. It has nothing to do with he wanting to pretend like I’m single I just don’t like to wear rings. 
    I’m with you there, we don’t wear rings very often either. When I’m working I don’t want to risk losing a finger, ( my wife loves to help, and her rings are worth a lot more).
        But, My first ring was gold and it was wearing down to a wire when I quit, and sharp edges.
       I guess we haven’t worn ours in at least 5 years. 
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 8,623 Admiral
    We been married 35-36 yrs.  I lost my ring yrs ago.  Don't even remember when.
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 7,072 Admiral
    edited May 5 #34
    After looking at clocks that display the time using hands for most of my life, I find I prefer this over the digital alternative.
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • Sixth GenerationSixth Generation Posts: 910 Officer
    Swampdog,  I would rather have another Randall than a watch as well...  that is an easy decision!  
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,863 Admiral
    edited May 5 #36
    I'm not into watches to show them off. I am just fascinated with the mechanical watchmaking and quality as a hobby. I don't even wear one anymore but I still like to collect certain brands and models that I can afford. So far every watch I've bought is doubled or tripled in price. Good investment fine Hobby. I think it's the mechanic in me that draws me to these watches.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 36,557 AG
    How many and what brands do you own? 

Not a watch guy myself. Own a Citizen and a Fossil I got as gifts once and a Seiko I have owned since I was a teenager. Quit wearing watches 30 years ago. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

Cad, have you ever posted your locations on here?  I come up to the HS, Alachua, Gville area from time to time.  Would stop at your places preferably...
  • PROFINITYPROFINITY Posts: 306 Deckhand
    I have my grandfather's pocket watch.  He was a coal man then railroad engineer.  My Mom has a Rolex my Dad gave her back in the 40's.  It quit working recently and I have not been able to find a repair shop that will work on it...  any suggestions?

Send the watch to the Rolex service center in NY if you want it done right. Call this number (212) 758-7700, ask for service. Tell them you want a shipping box which they will send you. This is the best service option for any Rolex in this hemisphere.
    Thanks for the info!  I will contact them.
  • supratentorialsupratentorial FLPosts: 1,091 Officer
    If the Rolex is all original you may want to investigate it's value before having it serviced.  Just polishing the case can reduce the value/collectability, new parts certainly will.
  • OGFOGF Posts: 1,020 Officer
    After looking at clocks that display the time using hands for most of my life, I find I prefer this over the digital alternative.

I like the new digital versions. 

These new watches can do ECG (Electrocardiogram monitoring), fall detection, workouts, texting, hundreds of apps, etc. I am going to buy my mother this watch, she lives alone and if the watch detects her falling it will auto call me and send me a map of her exact location.

It tracks a ton of information and no I am not worried about big brother looking at my exercise regimen. 

This is a portion of my 2020 exercise chart. It breaks it down by exercise type (running, walking, weights, yoga, etc.) 

• ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 13,743 Moderator
    You are waaaay too active. If I had one of those it would show a flat line.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 36,557 AG
    Cad, have you ever posted your locations on here?  I come up to the HS, Alachua, Gville area from time to time.  Would stop at your places preferably...
    Yes. 
    One store is at 34th Street and University Avenue. High gas prices to be honest.  The other is at 7500 Newberry Road between Walgreens and Taco Bell on the north side of Newberry Road. Gas prices more reasonable. 

Love to have you stop in and buy something. We have great beer prices if you drink

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• OGFOGF Posts: 1,020 Officer
    You are waaaay too active. If I had one of those it would show a flat line.
    The thing about the watch is it will buzz at you if you are stagnant for too long. 

It would say... Hey Ferris, get off the forum and take a walk. When you do get up and start walking it will buzz you and say good job. It will coach you too on your walk based on your goals. 
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,863 Admiral
    I'm getting interested in the watch investment trade industry. Everything I read and here projects unbelievable returns in the luxury watch Market I can't argue the fact because I seen some of the results from the outside. Google it