Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Not much happening

I'm not seeing many new posts this week. I've been working my a$$ off but was hoping someone got out recently. Hoping to get out Saturday weather gods willing. Anybody else got anything going on?

Replies

• xeniaxenia Posts: 1,008 Officer
    You are located in Stuart?  Get ready, the kings are headed your way.  Heard of a lot of kings off Key Largo today, undoubtedly headed north.  This was the week that back in my commercial days I'd get 1,000 lbs in a few hours.  Fish them very early, or even better late in the afternoon.  Just FYI.
  • ParkRanger1ParkRanger1 StuartPosts: 11 Deckhand
    xenia said:
    You are located in Stuart?  Get ready, the kings are headed your way.  Heard of a lot of kings off Key Largo today, undoubtedly headed north.  This was the week that back in my commercial days I'd get 1,000 lbs in a few hours.  Fish them very early, or even better late in the afternoon.  Just FYI.
    Never really targeted kings. Suggestions?  My boat is a key west WA 20
    There are many ways to target them. My preference is to net a bunch of live pilchards, anchor in 80' of water, chum with the smaller ones and flatline two larger live pilchards on 20-30 lb spinning tackle.  But that's just me.  This time of year a couple hours before sunset the fireworks would begin with large kings jumping after our chum behind the boat.  Can be a lot of fun in a very explosive sense.  You should be able to find pilchards now along the coast by watching diving pelicans or royal terns.  One well-placed cast nest throw will get you all you need.
  • Maverick1Maverick1 Posts: 285 Deckhand
    Xenia....Sent you a PM....have you ever found cigars or threadfins on the patches around Ocean Reef or Carysfort like they do in Islamorada?
    I have not, but to be honest I haven't put in the time.  The few patches I've visited have held ballyhoo, or nothing.
  • brianbbrianb Posts: 2,452 Captain
    I'm not seeing many new posts this week. I've been working my a$$ off but was hoping someone got out recently. Hoping to get out Saturday weather gods willing. Anybody else got anything going on?
    Welcome to the forum Park Ranger. To tell it to you straight, this forum has seen much better days and I would not expect much up to date useful reports of fishing conditions here, and if you do get recent reports they will be too few to be actual data. I recommend you start following and interacting with people on IG and FB, many charters post near daily reports that will be much more helpful then this dying forum. The reports you do get will be from 2-3 of the same guys that will post on Monday about what they caught 2 days ago, that's not great information for the following weekend. From there build your own network of friends/fisherman to get feedback on and off the water.  For Stuart offshore, DayMaker Charters posts the most consistent reports, also Stuart Big Game Fishing.  Kings have been here for two weeks as one example. 
    I watch the IG and FB pages of over 40 charters boats, and many times they go for days or even weeks without posting anything.  The fact is they only post when they catch something worth reporting.  The day they catch a cuda and two bonitos, you  won't see a post!  I've been out on many a slow day listening to charter guys on the radio talk about how slow it is.  I then watch their FB and IG pages that evening and the next few days - crickets.
    edited April 28 #9
    Not sure what point your trying to make. I gave OP a great example. If you think that this sub has more information about current fishing conditions than IG and FB, sorry, but you are absolutely wrong. That is the facts of the matter.  That's literally ridiculous honestly. 
    Point is social media is not as reliable as you think.  I want someone to tell me when fishing is bad too, not just when it's good.  Social media is just marketing.
  • GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 1,596 Captain
    It's been slow the last few weeks, the winds have been pretty strong.  I haven't fished the river too much up by me lately but talking with some of the local bait shops it sounds like there has been some stuff around.  I may get the kayak out and give it a try.

• ParkRanger1ParkRanger1 StuartPosts: 11 Deckhand
    Thanks for everyone's opinion. I did check out FB, some useful stuff. I was mainly just trying to start a conversation maybe get to know some other fishermen in the area. Reports are great and fun to read during the work week, but im going fishing when my job and weather permit regardless of what any report says. I will post my results when I can with pics when I can. Usually it'll be the good ones because I don't usually take pics of weeds on my lures or short fish. Lol.  
    Unfortunately for me most of my reliable sources for real fishing reports have all retired or died.  I do expect a couple of very reliable reports on Saturday though.  I'd be out there too but I had surgery to repair a hernia today and I don't think going fishing is a good idea just yet!
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 1,402 Officer
    Can't catch them from the couch. Do what you know how to do and hopefully the fish respond.
    I'll be off the couch as soon as I recover!
  • evernic1evernic1 NMBPosts: 982 Officer
    xenia said:
    Unfortunately for me most of my reliable sources for real fishing reports have all retired or died.  I do expect a couple of very reliable reports on Saturday though.  I'd be out there too but I had surgery to repair a hernia today and I don't think going fishing is a good idea just yet!
    If you could go Saturday what would you target? Any info appreciated 👍
    New to me 9-17-2020 2008 Donzi 38 ZSF 3 X 300 Verados
  • gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 2,214 Captain
    xenia said:
    I'll be off the couch as soon as I recover!
    I wonder what the up-to-date techniques are now ??  Clear back in about 1965, I had a hernia repair done in Long Beach, CA by a Dr. Bellis who'd developed a new technique, using only a local anesthetic.  I was laying carpet for a living then, which caused the hernia.

Anyway, IIRC, had the operation done about mid to late week, spent the weekend doing whatever and was back to work laying carpet on Monday.....but no heavy lifting for a few weeks.

Avoid the Reef Donkeys and go fer it.
    I always avoid the reef donkeys!  I had general anesthesia and they cut and repaired using a mesh.  Pain is there but taking medication for it and not moving around a lot.  Hope to be OK to fish in about a week, but still no heavy lifting.  Tomorrow is opening day for shallow-water grouper, blueline tile, and snowy in federal waters.  If I could go I'd try to get a couple of grouper early and depending on current, try for muttons or if the current is dead go deep dropping.
    xenia said:
    Point is social media is not as reliable as you think.  I want someone to tell me when fishing is bad too, not just when it's good.  Social media is just marketing.
    I'm an absolute expert in fishing social media and plenty of people post the good and the bad, AGAIN, I gave OP a great example in Stuart where HE lives. You meet people, you interact, you gain a network, and you make friends that carries over to texting and talking on the radio. It absolutely works, if you don't understand this, I'm sorry, but others are trying live in 2021, not 2014 when this forum did the same thing but is DEAD NOW. 
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,879 Captain
    Finding fishing reports on here is worse than a needle in a hay stack. Capt. Brian is correct, this place is far, far gone from  what it used to be. 
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 10,300 AG
    I don’t post any fishing reports anymore. I probably never did on this site but I did on a few others. I got a lot of PMs of people wanting to know exactly where I was. I mostly bottom fish/deep drop and I’m not gonna give that information out. Especially that I live in Broward County and there are just too too many people here.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

From the private reports I got there hasn't been much to post.
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,879 Captain
    I don’t post any fishing reports anymore. I probably never did on this site but I did on a few others. I got a lot of PMs of people wanting to know exactly where I was. I mostly bottom fish/deep drop and I’m not gonna give that information out. Especially that I live in Broward County and there are just too too many people here.
    I don’t blame you Conchy. And thank God everyday that we moved away from the sprawl, where the nearest ramp is 5 minutes away, and there’s 4 more within 15 minutes. And zero crowds.