Home General Paddle Craft

Slow pitch jigging session - Fort Lauderdale - 18 April 2021

John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 3,110 Captain
It's been a little slow on here, so decided to post this.  I overslept my alarm and launched mid-morning Last Sunday off Fort Lauderdale beach.  I was unsuccessful at finding bait on the reef and anchored ships.
The weather was like a lake in the morning and I wish that I had launched early enough to catch bait.  Fellow yakkers that did have live bait caught Kings, Tunas, and Mahi.  

By 11 am, I started a jigging session in around 225ft of water which eventually worked outwards to 400ft.  Conditions were good for about 2 hours until the wind came up and with it so did the current, making it unfishable forcing me to head in the early afternoon.  I never did find the big Blackfins, but the Atlantic Bonito and football-sized Blackfin Tuna were still fun.

Replies

• nowinchattnowinchatt Posts: 119 Deckhand
    Are the Atlantic Bonito different from a Skipjack? In your pics it looks like a Wahoo mated with a Tuna. Long body long teeth. Beautiful fish. 
  • cranker789cranker789 MiamiPosts: 394 Deckhand
    edited April 24 #3
    Nice, even your bad days are pretty good! The bonitos really vary in their stripe patterns. I've been wanting to get out but haven't been able to find the right day. 
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 3,110 Captain
    Are the Atlantic Bonito different from a Skipjack? In your pics it looks like a Wahoo mated with a Tuna. Long body long teeth. Beautiful fish. 
    Yes, Atlantic Bonito is much whiter meat than a Skipjack.  AB's are closer to the mackerel family while Skippies are in the tuna family.  The meat is soft but cooks up to taste like Tuna.  LOL, a friend of mine brought up an Atlantic Bonito and got fooled by the bars..... thinking he had a Wahoo briefly at deep color.  They are a pretty fish, but just like the wahoo quickly loses their stripes, the Atlantic Bonito lose their bar pattern shortly after being caught.  
    Nice, even your bad days are pretty good! The bonitos really vary in their stripe patterns. I've been wanting to get out but haven't been able to find the right day. 
    Thanks.  The Atlantic Bonito are usually only a late Winter, Early Spring visitor in SE Florida.  Unlike the Little Tunnies that are around all year and often referred to as Bonito.  If you want to catch an Atlantic Bonito, best to find a calm day and get out fishing as they will be heading Nth soon.   
    Thanks.  The Atlantic Bonito are usually only a late Winter, Early Spring visitor in SE Florida.  Unlike the Little Tunnies that are around all year and often referred to as Bonito.  If you want to catch an Atlantic Bonito, best to find a calm day and get out fishing as they will be heading Nth soon.   
    Ahh ok, yes i was confused for a bit there with the bonitos. Interesting that the Atlantic bonitos lose their vertical bars shortly after being caught.
    Interesting that the Atlantic bonitos lose their vertical bars shortly after being caught.
    Yeah, like many other fish if you photograph them while they are still alive, the photo is much more interesting than holding up a dead fish at the dock.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 9,586 Admiral
    I like eating those Atlantic bonito. I think they’re pretty good.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• benwah22benwah22 Posts: 243 Deckhand
    Bled well and iced they are fantastic - one of my favorite. It's a treat when one of them comes up.  Good work out there
    Instagram:  @mrbennyortiz
    Shimano
    AFTCO
    Slow Pitch Jigger
    Occasional Fish Catcher
    I like eating those Atlantic bonito. I think they’re pretty good.
    They are good if they are prepped well.

benwah22 said:
    Bled well and iced they are fantastic - one of my favorite. It's a treat when one of them comes up.  Good work out there
    Exactly.  They are not the most common fish for SE Florida, so it is a nice treat when one comes up.
    Dang I’d love to get out there but see no good days this week 
    Dang I’d love to get out there but see no good days this week 
    You're not the only one -- It's been one of the worst April's for the weather.