#4?? some kind of boxfish
    #5 A Porgy, I believe a Knobbed Porgy

• scallopscallop Posts: 50 Deckhand
    proper names for #2 and #4 are scrawled filefish and scrawled cowfish
  • greyreefsharkgreyreefshark Posts: 554 Officer
    yep scallop, sure was.
    I caught a bunch of Bermuda chub, then started using them as live bait. I caught a nurse Shark off of one, which certainly is no prize catch, but was wondering if those live chubs would be good to use to catch larger fish on?
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 912 Officer
      Bermuda chubs have an odor coming out of the water.
    edited April 2021 #8
    yeah they were crapping all over place. No wonder only a nurse Shark ate it. 
  • GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 1,607 Captain
    Lol....I went 0 for 5 but #2 is awesome looking.  Beautiful color.
    Garysmo said:
    Lol....I went 0 for 5 but #2 is awesome looking.  Beautiful color.
    It actually felt cool too. Like a smooth leather.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 12,301 AG
    edited April 2021 #11
    Number one is a spotted trunkfish. In Key West we called them shellfish. That’s  not the one we commonly eat but there’s another species of trunkfish,box fish, shellfish that we used to get in our crawfish traps and the meat inside is like a chicken breast but it taste more like turkey then chicken.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 1,157 Officer
    Number one is a spotted trunkfish. In Key West we called them shellfish. That’s  not the one we commonly eat but there’s another species of trunkfish,box fish, shellfish that we used to get in our crawfish traps and the meat inside is like a chicken breast but it taste more like turkey then chicken.
    Most of the boxfish/trunkfish/cowfish have that pure white meat inside the "shell".  The meat is a lot like puffer meat, but without all of the neurotxin risk.  It's just a giant PITA to get the meat out.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 12,301 AG
    Most of the boxfish/trunkfish/cowfish have that pure white meat inside the "shell".  The meat is a lot like puffer meat, but without all of the neurotxin risk.  It's just a giant PITA to get the meat out.
    We would split them in half remove the innards and bake them in the half shell with stuffing in the area that contained the innards. They were served for special occasions. i am pretty sure that we used the big livers they had as part of the stuffing and no one was  poisoned. They don't have bones like a regular fish as they have a sort of exoskeleton since they have the "shell".

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

I tried to use chub as bait a few times, never got anything to eat them.  Gave up and just toss 'em back.

Man I need to get down there again soon.
    Nice, I hope you do get a chance to Scallop. Maybe during the mullet run.
    If work would slow down a little I may get a chance.  Good problem to have, but it's wearing me out right now.  We have about 40 trucks on and could use another 40, as well as another 20k sf of warehouse space.
    Went from being down 60-70% last spring/summer to booming from late fall on, with no sign of a slow down anytime in the future.