Skip to main content
Home General Fishing

ICW Current Direction??

jamesbrownsplitjamesbrownsplit Posts: 238 Deckhand
Are there any constants about this? I would think that current direction would have some correlation with the location of the nearest inlet and incoming vs outgoing. Is a large inlet within a 30 minute drive going to have more influence than a smaller one that’s closer by? 
Might be judging things wrong but I’m curious if there is a way to predict this before I start driving a long way. Referring to PBC for the most part. 

Replies

• poncedoradoponcedorado Posts: 769 Officer
    Like you said it could possibly vary if you're in between inlets, but at a given location at a given tide stage, it should always be the same. 

If it's important to know ahead of time, the easiest way might be to call marinas near where you're planning on going and ask them which way the current flows when the tide is halfway in / halfway out. They might think it's a weird question at first but ought to understand if you explain that you're curious about the influences of inlet x and inlet y on this specific location with respect to current.
  • jamesbrownsplitjamesbrownsplit Posts: 238 Deckhand
    Thanks for the marina idea. I’m getting back in to things after a long break and I was thrown off by what was going on at some of the bridges I was at. I was for sure thinking once I got to point X it ought to be moving differently but it wasn’t. It threw me off.

Locally there are bridges that are way easier to fish one way versus the other. I’m assuming that’s gonna be the case no matter where I go. Granted we are about to move to inlet snook time but I have a strong feeling going an hour or so north will really increase my chances of the fish I am looking for. It’d be nice to be able to predict before I drive which side things should be happening on, where to park w/o wasting time, what areas should be skipped if it’s X tide due to only one side really being fish able, blah blah blah.

thanks for your input.

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,690 Captain
    Anywhere near inlets the current will be working toward the inlet in a falling tide - then from the inlet on a rising tide (and you can expect the prevailing winds to have some effect as well...

In places with two inlets ( my own Biscayne Bay....) it gets interesting when you’re right in the middle between Haulover and Government Cut..
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • brianbbrianb Posts: 2,491 Captain
    In PBC you are not going to have a huge problem unless you are fishing Lantana and LW bridges, which suck anyway fyi.  All the WPB bridges have strong currents as do the Jupiter bridges. Boca only has one inlet really.  The WPB bridges are almost exclusively night fishing. 
  • jamesbrownsplitjamesbrownsplit Posts: 238 Deckhand
    edited April 2021 #6
    Lol. It was those two bridges that were throwing me off. LW usually sucks but have caught a few fish off the boat around the fenders. It’s 5 min from my house though. Had my best night of snook fishing at the Lantana bridge where I caught my personal best 37”. Me and a buddy put in an extravagant amount of time for that. It seems like that general area sucks all around. 

I have more or less come to the conclusion that I’m wasting my time at those places and have started figuring out where to go up further north. 

Thanks for more or less confirming my suspicions and backing up my decision to spend time some place else. 
  • BooBooBooBoo Vero Beach Fl and Ft. Lupton ColoradoPosts: 222 Deckhand
    I have often wondered the same thing! In Vero Beach, I am on the IRL right between Sabastain and Ft Pierce inlets and have wondered where the point is that the flow is North or South depending on which inlet the water is flowing out. 
  • brianbbrianb Posts: 2,491 Captain
    Lol. It was those two bridges that were throwing me off. LW usually sucks but have caught a few fish off the boat around the fenders. It’s 5 min from my house though. Had my best night of snook fishing at the Lantana bridge where I caught my personal best 37”. Me and a buddy put in an extravagant amount of time for that. It seems like that general area sucks all around. 

I have more or less come to the conclusion that I’m wasting my time at those places and have started figuring out where to go up further north. 

Thanks for more or less confirming my suspicions and backing up my decision to spend time some place else. 
    The fastest way to catch a snook in Boynton is to drive to Stuart first.