Home General Hunting

What did you forget?

swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 2,740 Captain
Recently I was on the way to Turkey hunt and half way into my trip, I realized I’d forgotten my shotgun. That really got under my skin. Drove back home got it, and didn’t get there as early as I wanted to, and someone was where I needed to be. I’ve forgotten a lot of items over the seasons I could simply borrow, like ammo, water (ice chest was still sitting packed in garage), face mask....Have you ever left anything?

Replies

• FloridahuntFloridahunt Palm BeachPosts: 146 Deckhand
    Left to go hunting and an hour into the drive I remembered general gun ended the day before. Couldn’t even hunt small game because I had a rifle. Drove back, traded for my shotgun and went to another area. Should have went the day before, don’t remember what happened probably slept late and thought I had another hunt day left. Recently I forgot a charging cord and I use my phone gps heavily especially in new areas and had to cut the trip short.
  • gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 2,015 Captain
    Several times I've forgotten to bring my camera on a hike and I'm addicted to story telling.  Gotta get a new one up on here soon.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 15,404 AG
    i've gotten out out to the stand and forgotten i needed rounds for the rifle if I wanted to actually shoot something.   
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • Crkr23Crkr23 MelrosePosts: 130 Deckhand
    Drove to Camp Blanding Archery and I had left my bow in the other truck. Made a scout day out of that one.
    Climbed a tree in Hatchet Creek WMA, sat for 3 hrs with a decocked and unchambered rifle. I didn't realize it until I had an eleven pt at 60 yds. Got lucky and pulled that one off.
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 4,382 Captain
    I forgot to chamber a round once on a deer hunt and sent a nice 8 point scurrying to safety when the rifle went "click".
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 2,740 Captain
    I remember one morning we stopped and loaded birdshot to take on a covey of quail. Later, after deer hunting all day my buddy laughed when he unloaded three rounds of birdshot from his shotgun. 
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 1,784 Captain
    Had a good spot on a sta duck hunt year’s ago... made sure to wake up early to have a decent spot in line, wound up getting the parking number I wanted. Made the 1 hour paddle/walk to get to the spot I wanted, set the decoys, hid the canoe, went to get my gun and realized I left it in the truck! 🙈
    My buddy wound up limiting out and let me use his gun afterwards... had a good hunt!👍
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 4,320 Captain
    At some point I’ve forgotten almost everything. I’ve left my bow/firearm, face mask, cell phone, gate key, whatever. 

Most miserably and commonly, I’ve forgotten bug repellent/thermacell refills, water, and toilet paper. The first two will run me off the stand if the skeeters are bad enough or if I’m thirsty enough and start coughing. As to the third, I’ve had to improvise. 

I remember once being so thirsty but determined to hunt that when a thunderstorm blowed up I was able to drink fresh rain water off my poncho and it was a God-send. These days I carry a small water filter and a straw in my day pack and I will regularly drink woods water through my filter. 

• MissedMissed O-townPosts: 509 Officer
    How to get home!  Back in the days before smart phones and cars w GPS I was hunting about 2.5 hours from home and was on the 2d or 3rd day of driving back and forth in a row - all day hunts sunup/sundown in the stand.  Decided to go home a faster way and ended up calling my wife from a church parking lot - no idea where I was.  She pulled it up online at home and walked me outta there to where I could find my way home.  

Not having enough water and getting heat exhaustion is a real thing for me.  Once I draw the permit I'm gonna go and stash a 12 pack of water 2 or 3 miles from the parking area as an emergency thing when scouting and hunting - and like Bullfrog, carrying a straw filter just in case.
  • cracker4112cracker4112 Posts: 905 Officer
    I didn’t forget my thermocell this morning but I did manage to drop it in the creek as I crossed.  Wasn’t the most fun, also went over my boots and didn’t hear a turkey sound.  But I spotted one on my way back to the truck and was able to score so it worked out!
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 2,501 Captain
    Sometimes it isn’t what you forget. It’s what you forget to hold onto.
    30’ up in a climber, in no particular order:
    lighter( yeah I know),
    thermacell, last primer for the ML, water bottle.
    When you forget something at home it’s one thing, when you can see it and it’s laughing at you. That’s when it really sucks.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,726 Moderator
    edited April 15 #13
    First bow hunt ever I got quiet in a lock in about half hour before legal light.  At legal light realized I had forgotten my release.  From that day forward it got strapped to my bow.  

Gosh, what else... safety harness on a public land quota hunt 90+ minutes away.  Wife was about to leave to meet me halfway when I shot a buck from the ground.  

Ear plugs while hunting with a 44 handgun.  Once won’t hurt, right?

Enough gas to get to hunting spot and back.  3 or 4 times and always when running late. 

SD cards / batteries. 

Key to the gate... it now lives on car keys and not a separate key chain. 

Feed on private place when that was the entire point of the trip. 

Ratchet strap for a given ladder stand I wanted to hunt (beginning of season issue that’s happened a few times and has forced me elsewhere)

Hand saw for a given permanent stand (see time of year and result above)

Have forgotten to chamber a round deer hunting.  Still killed him. 

Left bow Leaned up against my rear tire after an evening hunt.  Realized it that night. The next day was Thanksgiving and I had to go out of town. Went back finally like two days later and there it was unharmed.  As I backed up I cut my front wheels hard enough or I think it went right between both of them, but not hard enough where it caught the other one. 

Twice forgot that my stock truck is not Intended to drive through knee-deep muck.  One time was laziness to prevent dragging a deer. That would require a wrecker.   The other one I tried to find a shortcut and got off the main road. The grass was taller than my truck and I couldn’t hotel at all where I was going. Manage to find a wet spot and that was all she wrote. A jeep with a winch pulled me out that time.  

Those are a few that come to mind. 
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • altuckaltuck TallahasseePosts: 340 Deckhand
    I have always loaded my rifle (5 rounds) at the start of gen gun. Unloaded at end of season.
    Past year I killed three deer here, went to Kentucky with a buddy.
    When I shot the second deer there, I racked the bolt and realized I had not reloaded all season.
    Fortunately, it did not matter. I try to remind myself now.  
  • HollywoodcorollaHollywoodcorolla Posts: 612 Officer
    oh boy. Best one is
    breach plug for di hunt. And John hooked me up. I still owe him
    Release opening day 
    thermacell few times 
    dead light 
    toilet paper when hiking 

• JohnnyBanditJohnnyBandit Posts: 9,114 Admiral
    swampdog said:
    I remember one morning we stopped and loaded birdshot to take on a covey of quail. Later, after deer hunting all day my buddy laughed when he unloaded three rounds of birdshot from his shotgun. 
    One time way back in the late 80's we were running dogs......  A big bodied four point came out on one of the charter members... He was old..... In his 80's  He busted the deer twice with a 12 gauge.. They said the deer shuttered but kept going....

I was on an old logging trail behind our line of standers... I was young and skinny and could run..... Sort of the cut off man...... I had a Ruger 44mag carbine. The deer was in cypress and water.... I could hear him coming and the dogs hot on his ****....... I got ready and busted him the second he came up on the grade out cypress... Rolled him right there.... 

There was a little blood at the site where the old man shot it...... I knew something looked funny and it did not look like the deer was hit with buckshot..... But he was a founding member of the club (as was my Granddaddy) but I was barely 20 or so.... The old man claimed first blood and the deer. (we all split all the meat at the end of the weekend anyway.) No way I could go against him..... So I just stayed shut up..... Then they started skinning him......he was full of birdshot pellets right under his skin...... I was putting the dogs away and they came and got me.... He told me in front of the entire camp, it was my kill.

I remember going to a buddy’s lease years ago after practicing with my bow steadily that week. Got there, and still had field tips on my arrows. I’d left my “bow tackle box” at home. I felt like a complete dope. He said no problem - get wife to take them to his office, and he’d have one of his employees bring them up to camp. I owed them both. Got a doe that hunt.
  • gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 2,015 Captain
    swampdog said:
    One time way back in the late 80's we were running dogs......  A big bodied four point came out on one of the charter members... He was old..... In his 80's  He busted the deer twice with a 12 gauge.. They said the deer shuttered but kept going....

I was on an old logging trail behind our line of standers... I was young and skinny and could run..... Sort of the cut off man...... I had a Ruger 44mag carbine. The deer was in cypress and water.... I could hear him coming and the dogs hot on his ****....... I got ready and busted him the second he came up on the grade out cypress... Rolled him right there.... 

There was a little blood at the site where the old man shot it...... I knew something looked funny and it did not look like the deer was hit with buckshot..... But he was a founding member of the club (as was my Granddaddy) but I was barely 20 or so.... The old man claimed first blood and the deer. (we all split all the meat at the end of the weekend anyway.) No way I could go against him..... So I just stayed shut up..... Then they started skinning him......he was full of birdshot pellets right under his skin...... I was putting the dogs away and they came and got me.... He told me in front of the entire camp, it was my kill.

Kudos to the old man.  There are many (most ??) who wouldn't stand tall and 'fess up like that.
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 1,067 Officer
    Different sport, saved up to put a fancy spot lock trolling motor on my boat, spent a full day installing it myself, batteries , cables , plug, quick release. Needless to say I was super proud of myself. Loaded the family up the next day to justify the $2,300 investment. Get to the near shore number, get right on top of it, plug the motor in, push the pedal to get the motor in the water, turn the power on. Guess what you need to make the motor function, a remote. Guess who left the remote 50 miles away, me. My family exploded in uncontrollable laughter, I opened a beer and grabbed the anchor. The remote never leaves the boat now. 
  • tagtag Posts: 9,139 Admiral
    Not hunting but went fishing one time and forgot all my sinkers
    I had a quota hunt and forgot my orange vest. I collected enough orange flagging to make a reasonable facsimile. All day I kept adding to it. Eventually some guy drove by me, stated laughing and handed me an extra he had. I now keep extras in every vehicle and my truck bag. I couldn’t hunt for fearing a ticket.  
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 4,208 Captain
    edited April 17 #22
    Forgot Boots. “ Proper Foot wear”.
    Head out from the house....... in flip flops...... per usual. Get to woods and slip out of the flip flops, put boots on.
    well, guess what...... shucks I have gone bare footed. 
    Not much else forgotten. I think....
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 3,044 Captain
    I must be OCD when it comes to being prepared for hunting. Cant recall anything major in 45 years. Of course I grew up duck hunting with a guy whose mantra was "gun, shells, license, decoys - everything else is just bells and whistles". 
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 988 Officer
    To deal with not forgetting ammo I put an ammo sleeve on every gun. Have forgotten knives a time or two. Hunted in sneakers more than once also.