Home Off Topic

Best frozen catfish.... seriously

Replies

• Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,613 Moderator
    I'm still tryin to figure out a guy living in a Waterfront house that flew to Maine or somewhere to buy a 30 Ft' plus new boat and is having it Custom Rigged is doing picking up free food from a Covid relief place.....
    Do you Dumpster Dive on the weekends...?
    Just askin
    Just wanted some fried fish.  Don’t have any at the house as I try not to freeze much of what I catch, and I’ll be damned if I’m going to pay an ungodly sum of money at a fish market for fish I’m not allowed to catch and who knows if it will even taste good.  Having had the frozen catfish a few months back, that seemed like a good solution. 

As far as the free goes...  I guess it should just be left to rot, huh?  One of the working the hand out line is a friend of ours and three times he called with Tons (almost literally) of excess.  I see zero shame In not letting it go to waste.   

Dumpster diving?   Well, yeah.  Duh!   I mean who doesn’t?
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,613 Moderator
    catfish are so easy to catch from a bank and you can just sit back with a beer! Is there no freshwater nearby? 
    Yeah there is but I’ve actually never tried.  I’m sure I’d find a way to mess it up.  Freshwater and I don’t do all that well together.  Hahaha
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • 2amigo2amigo Posts: 6,532 Admiral
    This kind of reminds me of going for a McRib because you don't want to pay for a real rack of ribs. 
  • jcbcpajcbcpa Posts: 2,016 Captain
    Hey Panhandler,
    These folks catfish for a living every day that they can be on the water. Fresh right out of Lake Eufaula.
    They clean'em, package and freeze'em right behind their house and sell them to the local grocery stores.
    If you are ever coming up this way, let me know and I will see if I can get you some. (They don't always have 
    available depending on their catch and demand).

I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.
    Herbert Bayard Swope
    US editor & journalist (1882 - 1958)
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,862 Admiral
    OK...I'll admit..I've did some Dumpster Diving in my time...
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    Last week....... maybe......?
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,196 AG
    I'm still tryin to figure out a guy living in a Waterfront house that flew to Maine or somewhere to buy a 30 Ft' plus new boat and is having it Custom Rigged is doing picking up free food from a Covid relief place.....
    Do you Dumpster Dive on the weekends...?
    Just askin
    Just wanted some fried fish.  Don’t have any at the house as I try not to freeze much of what I catch, and I’ll be damned if I’m going to pay an ungodly sum of money at a fish market for fish I’m not allowed to catch and who knows if it will even taste good.  Having had the frozen catfish a few months back, that seemed like a good solution. 

As far as the free goes...  I guess it should just be left to rot, huh?  One of the working the hand out line is a friend of ours and three times he called with Tons (almost literally) of excess.  I see zero shame In not letting it go to waste.   

Dumpster diving?   Well, yeah.  Duh!   I mean who doesn’t?
    some folks aren't as blessed as you (to live on the water and have the chance to fish) so they use the markets to fill that void..

I'm sure you are aware of what it costs to produce fresh fish..
    Unless Daddy is paying your way.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    2amigo said:
    Last week....... maybe......?
    I wish...
    Best Dumpster Diving I ever did was when they closed down the old K Mart down the block.
    They weren't sending anything back to anywhere..just get rid of it..
    Thanks K Mart !!
    Plenty of places in Florida to get good catfish. Just googled it. It’s cheap. Other fish at markets are cheap if you compare them to fishing for them in your own boat.   Getting that cheap **** Chinese fish product is like serving or eating Golden Corral steaks when you can spend a little more ( in the grand scheme of things) for quality beef. Don’t see the logic here.  You might want to check for impairment of taste buds. There are other causes besides Covid. 
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 13,613 AG
    edited April 13 #41
    I thought catfish noodling in every moccasin and gator infested creek was a state past time? 
        Shouldn’t there be a glut of catfish around there?
       (And Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi).
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 9,210 Admiral
    Chinese catfish may taste good. I don't know.  I have read enough about Asian (especially China) fish farms to make me afraid of consuming food from them. They do farm Channel Catfish that are native to the USA but it is  the means and methods that scare me.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 7,039 Admiral
    edited April 13 #43
    Shouldn't we be eating Asian carp? I heard we kill a million sharks a year....but I don't see that in the frozen food section. Who's eating all the shark meat? Mmmmmmm ...shark meat,,,
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 4,087 Captain
    There's a restaurant in White Springs that offers two kinds of catfish. Either off the farm or fresh out of the Suwannee. The Suwannee catfish taste like they came out of the sewer. The farm catfish are the cleanest fish I've ever tasted. 

Swai catfish imported from wherever is pretty darn good.

I can eat my freshwater fish right out of the water but that's because I have two stocked ponds and I can control what goes in them. If my fish isn't coming out of one of those two ponds, I'd rather get it off a fish farm than the dirty aquarium sludge holes we call waterways these days. You do know many of our springs now have the water chemistry of an aquarium in need of a major water change?

And as to the Suwannee specifically, I've seen too many human bodies fished out of it to want to eat anything that comes from the upper part of that river. That, and too many meth heads using the river as their own personal dumpsters for human bodily fluids of all sorts. 
  • ProfessorOProfessorO Posts: 872 Officer
    Asian catfish is one of the most imported items into this country. How many times have you seen it on a menu or in a store advertised as Asian Catfish?
    The goal of scientists is to maximize what we know of the real world by using the mathematical world to optimize the information from the observed world.
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,583 Captain
    Pan, there’s a bunch of signs around here advertising fresh catfish. $7.00 a pound for filets if I remember correctly. I have seen a number of people on the local FB page saying it’s good. 
  • tom waxelbaumtom waxelbaum Posts: 486 Deckhand
    Vietnam raises alot of shrimp and fish in ponds. The ponds were built at U.S. taxpayer expense via the Air Force and they are nice and deep and round especially around Hanoi.
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 12,979 Moderator
    pottydoc said:
    Pan, there’s a bunch of signs around here advertising fresh catfish. $7.00 a pound for filets if I remember correctly. I have seen a number of people on the local FB page saying it’s good. 
    Chipola River catfish are as good as it gets. Maybe even better than catfish from Altamaha. 

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• SaltwaterdawgSaltwaterdawg Too far from the gulfPosts: 2,167 Captain
    Best catfish I’ve ever had came right out of the Tenn River, a clear cold river near Savannah Tennessee
    pottydoc said:
    Chipola River catfish are as good as it gets. Maybe even better than catfish from Altamaha. 
    I think I’m gonna try some this weekend. Get a change from sheepshead, trout, and redfish 
    It's a tough life. :)

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• kellerclkellercl Posts: 8,787 Admiral
    edited April 14 #52
    Never liked cat fish.  It can be good when properly breaded, but flavor is all from seasoning not from the fish.  

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 14,900 AG
    what I have found works best for catfish is to bread it, but then let it sit in the fridge for a few hours, the breading pulls out the moisture so the fish gets nice and crispy on the outside but when you pull it from the oil there is not a lot of moisture in the fish, that is usually what steams the coating from the inside and makes it soggy. 
    Yesterday's memories are not today's reality
    It's a tough life. :)
    Yeah, but someone has got to do it. I’m supporting the local economy. :)
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 2,324 Captain
    I occasionally buy fish from a local fish market. Those folks work really hard and the fish is great. I also catch my own and usually eat it right away. I never stockpile fish. As far as restaurants go, some folks know how to fry fish and some do not. I can’t eat soggy greasy fish and I don’t like old fish grease. 
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 2,324 Captain
    BTW - used to love the catfish restaurant in St. Cloud. Haven’t been there in years. It had a great menu.
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 8,469 Admiral
    I had a few cousins that set trot lines in the 60's that was in lake Apopka. They would come home with washtubs of catfish.

They had an assembly line cleaning catfish.  I was real young 5 or 6.
    We ran trot lines on the Etowah for several years back in the 60's. 

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• jcbcpajcbcpa Posts: 2,016 Captain
    I'm going to have to try this. Smoking whole catfish. 

I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.
    Herbert Bayard Swope
    US editor & journalist (1882 - 1958)
    Vinegar and salt. Interesting. I've never had freshwater fish smoked.

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

Me and Grandpaw ran Trotlines for years.
    Catfish and Softshell Turtles...lot's of fun for a young white privileged Male.
    Never knew I was so special eating Sardines and crackers in an old wood boat...who knew...