Home Off Topic

Manual Transmission

Replies

• King_MeKing_Me Delray Beach, FLPosts: 6,901 Admiral
    1998 Toyota Tacoma 5spd.  Drove it as a commuter for about 3-4 years.  Great little truck and I think I averaged 27mpg.
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 13,696 AG
    dave44 said:
    My last manual transmission was a 1986 F-150 with the straight 6 300 in it. It was a great truck except the AC went out and I never fixed it. When I went anywhere with other people they always offered to drive their vehicles because they couldn't handle the Florida heat. I gave it to my dad in 1996 when I bought a new truck with the 5.4L 8 cylinder and automatic transmission. So the answer is 1996.
    That was a great truck, that 6cyl was a horse.
    That 300 ci straight six had more torque than any engine I ever saw. With the granny gear ****, it would pull semi's out of a ditch.
       I had one as a work vehicle for awhile. Super vehicle.
  • gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 1,662 Captain
    i ordered the Diesel Dodge in '02 with the 6 speed and loved it.  Love listening to that big diesel talking to me thru the gears.  Cummins' rock.

Little different twist - back in the day (late 70s) I had an old rusted out '60 Ford F250 4WD with the tiny little 6 (232 c.i. ??  Don't remember) and granny gear 4 speed.  When the cops started giving me a bad time about oil smoke I took an old 332 Thunderbird engine with C6 trans and transplanted it into the old truck.

I had done quite a bit of 4 wheeling with the old stick shift, now I had the same truck with an auto to go play in.  Quite an education and got into some heated discussions in the Idaho bars re stick vs auto.  These were primarily Ford driving rednecks who loved their traditional F250s from the 70s.....and "NoBody" was going to tell them an auto would beat a stick.  Haha.....except me.

Picture it - in a deep mudhole or steep slope with heavy mud and you burn the clutch trying to get moving in that goop.  Nope - drop down to granny and get 'er moving, then power shift to 2nd.  Trouble is, granny is a very low non-synchro and it takes time to fight it into 2nd....and meantime the truck stops.  Start over....and over....??  Tough on drivers and equipment.

Now, come into the same mudhole with the auto.  You've got torque multiplication with the torque converter, so just drop it into drive and give 'er snoose.  RPMs build up as you get moving and the auto instantly goes into 2nd and you're off and running. 

If it's Really Bad, drop into 4 low and 2nd, give it h.e.l.l, then go for Drive.  What Fun ! ! !

You Can double clutch from 4L to 4H but it takes some time for rpms to match.  Not practical.

I beat a bunch of stick shift trucks and drank a lot of the owners' beer.  Took a while (and lots of suds) but they did finally learn and word spread.  Heavy, competitive 4 wheeling is the great sport in that country and they take it very seriously.....and always with a half rack of brewskis.

Biggest thing was who could be the last thru a road before freeze up and who could be 1st thru when the thaw hit.  Haha....it got messy with mud and snow flying everywhere.  Always go with more than one truck and always make sure the tow straps were on board.  Most often in the middle of the night.  Wonderful memories.
  • jetmech2jetmech2 Panhandle Posts: 737 Officer
    edited April 12 #35
    All of the new tractors(semis) we order are automatics.  You can get the manuals but they are optional now and as such are an additional charge.  This is all on Frteightliners.
    pretty much the same for the volvos we buy.   We have 2019 Peterbuilts that are complete garbage.  Never buy those again.  
    Only reason they are going all automatics is the fact most people don’t have a clue how to shift let alone understand road speed, transmission speed and basically how to handle a truck, especially on steep grades and slick roads. 
     Even with autos they still lose control. 
     Make it a 13 speed or god forbid a 18 and its all over!😬
    Even though those two transmissions are the easiest to drive. 
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 9,261 Admiral
    Honestly if you drive interstates especially with stop and go traffic manual transmissions can be a pain in the butt. But I do love driving sticks on curvy hilly roads. When I used to drive on the wrong side of the road in Scotland there was nothing better than going up and down the hills and curves with a stick. 

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,592 Captain
    dave44 said:
    My last manual transmission was a 1986 F-150 with the straight 6 300 in it. It was a great truck except the AC went out and I never fixed it. When I went anywhere with other people they always offered to drive their vehicles because they couldn't handle the Florida heat. I gave it to my dad in 1996 when I bought a new truck with the 5.4L 8 cylinder and automatic transmission. So the answer is 1996.
    That 300 ci straight six had more torque than any engine I ever saw. With the granny gear ****, it would pull semi's out of a ditch.
    This. ^. I had a 1976 F 150 short bed single cab with the 300 6 on it. 4” lift, 38” tires, traction lock/limited slip on both axels, headers and an aftermarket intake with a big Holly four barrel. That truck would go laces you had no business going. 
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,821 Admiral
    edited April 13 #38
    cadman said:
    The other thread made me realize it has been over 30 years since I drove a manual transmission, Seems like every vehicle is an automatic these days, 

When was the last time you drove a manual transmission?
    The wife and both kids have never owned anything but a manual transmission. BMW, Audi, Mini Cooper, I could name several others. All manual transmissions. Personally I wouldn't have one if you gave it to me but the wife and the kids love it. I take that back we did go through the era of the minivan when the kids were young. LOL
  • Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 21,058 AG
    My everyday driver is a 2005 F150 with a 5 speed manual.
  • dogman18dogman18 Posts: 503 Deckhand
    Ever drive one with a two speed rear end?

“There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.”
    ― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
  • tom waxelbaumtom waxelbaum Posts: 487 Deckhand
    dogman18 said:
    Ever drive one with a two speed rear end?

Yep and I have had to repair several of them due to "operator error"
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,548 Captain
    Nearly everyday and i dont own a manual vehicle!
    Jason :USA
  • altuckaltuck TallahasseePosts: 134 Deckhand
    Every few days, I drive an old beater f150, I use around the farm and sometimes when I go hunting.
  • lakemanlakeman Posts: 809 Officer
    In the US only automatic for many years,  In Europe yes, automatic are hard to find.  Not sure why, they most have proven to get better gas milage.
  • MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 2,658 Captain
    lakeman said:
    In the US only automatic for many years,  In Europe yes, automatic are hard to find.  Not sure why, they most have proven to get better gas milage.
    Europeans are funny and drive in the wrong side of the road too
  • Parker boyParker boy Posts: 296 Deckhand
    Until relatively recently,  10 years or so, if one wanted to obtain a Costa Rican driver's license one was required to take the driving portion with a manual transmission vehicle.

In Germany the test is given in either manual or automatic transmission vehicle. However, if one got the license in an automatic vehicle it is forbidden to drive a manual vehicle. The test in Germany and much of Europe is much more comprehensive than the U.S. and and penalties much harsher.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 14,955 AG
    Until relatively recently,  10 years or so, if one wanted to obtain a Costa Rican driver's license one was required to take the driving portion with a manual transmission vehicle.

In Germany the test is given in either manual or automatic transmission vehicle. However, if one got the license in an automatic vehicle it is forbidden to drive a manual vehicle. The test in Germany and much of Europe is much more comprehensive than the U.S. and and penalties much harsher.
    Cost a lot more too I think it's over 2500 dollars for a DL in Germany 
    Yesterday's memories are not today's reality
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 2,333 Captain
    I drive a CJ7 with a manual usually during deer season each year. It’s a buddies and I just like to put around in it. Everything (shifting, clutching, breaking and using both feet) comes right back when it starts. It’s mostly a novelty now for me.
  • GardawgGardawg The Sportfishing Capital Of The WorldPosts: 11,708 AG
    On a trip to Jamaica back in the 70's our rental car was right hand drive with a 4 speed manual. 
    I was the only one of our group that could drive it. They hated it when I started drifting around corners.  Our guide commented "God-o-mighty, you drive like a Jamacian!" 
    "Forgiveness is a strange thing. It can be sometimes easier to forgive our enemies than our friends. It can be hardest of all to forgive people we love." Fred Rogers  
  • Sixth GenerationSixth Generation Posts: 828 Officer
    My college roomate at Florida had a deep green  240z.  First time I ever adjusted lifters on an engine.  I drove a 81 Toyota Supra that I totaled when a lady turned in front of me at an intersection.  I had a Ford Ranger that was a stick after that.  Been automatics ever since.
  • NickhoogNickhoog Posts: 972 Officer
    Geneakers said:
    2amigo said:
    I had a white 1974 Datsun 260z that I bought in 1988 from my brother in law when i was 21 and had planned to keep it forever.   Faster than the 240z but they only made them for a year a year before making the 280.  Really fun car to drive.  Got totaled at an intersection where 2 cars collided in the middle of an intersection while I was just sitting there waiting to make a left hand turn. Here is what one looks like but mine was white with wire spoke wheels. 
    I had one that was the deep forest green
    Had a 1980 280 in Pearl White.  Blew a head gasket, replaced gasket and had the head shaved, **** thing would keep up with Trans Ams and IROC's...
    WAY squirrly rear end, We used to joke, when doing things at speeds we shouldn't been at... "Going Round"...
  • JohnnyBanditJohnnyBandit Posts: 8,760 Admiral
    dave44 said:

Not really.... The 300 CID was a GREAT engine. Durable. And it made its power at a low RPM.... That is why they always seemed so good at getting very heavy things moving and pulling.

Peak torque was made at 1600-2000 rpm.

But their torque was modest at best.... Horsepower sucked.

Ironically the first generation 65-72 was the most powerful 170hp and 283fp of torque.

Then fuel and emission regulations set in. HP dropped to about 100-120hp and 223fp of torque. For a LOT of years.

The last generation when they added fuel injection and made some additional changed got it back up to about 160hp and 260fp of torque.

They were a very durable little workhorse. But 20 plus years have created a legend far beyond what the engine ever was.

The thing is.... it made similar torque to the next engine in the Ford Truck lineup during most of those years. The 302 cid. And the 300 made it at a lower RPM and had a much cleaner and smooth power band. So it would out pull the 302
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 13,037 Moderator
    Ok

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

Ok
    You see?
       If you make a general statement somebody’s going to take issue with it around here.
       Be careful, you don’t want to be called out for being imprecise!🤓
    Ok. :)

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

You guys see the way to do it ??  It's not necessary to pitch a fit and scream insults when someone disagrees with you.
  • GardawgGardawg The Sportfishing Capital Of The WorldPosts: 11,708 AG
    gogittum said:
    You guys see the way to do it ??  It's not necessary to pitch a fit and scream insults when someone disagrees with you.

Yes it is.  

"Forgiveness is a strange thing. It can be sometimes easier to forgive our enemies than our friends. It can be hardest of all to forgive people we love." Fred Rogers  
    gogittum said:
    You caught this place on an off week.
        Next week we will do better.
    dave44 said:
    gogittum said:
    I'll wait to see.....seems like all weeks are off weeks to some on here.
    gogittum said:
    dave44 said:
    gogittum said:
    I'll wait to see.....seems like all weeks are off weeks to some on here.
    Then I double dog dare you to say mask wearers are pop music boy band members.
    "double dog dare"?

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)