Skip to main content
Home General Hunting

Jw Corbett 1st timer

Steve_raleighSteve_raleigh Posts: 279 Deckhand
Got there at 5am to park in a spot I picked out a few days ago 
thought it looked to hold turkeys 
Didn’t wanna walk in while it was dark since I wasn’t familiar with the area at all walked in around 6:30 am and maybe 20 steps in a monster tusked boar ( not sure of correct term)
sat on the path and stared me down for about 30 seconds stayed until 11am got really hot 
didn’t see any signs of turkeys like tracks or hear any gobbles did hear a couple shots fired in the distance 

so glad I finally took the first step of going can’t wait to get back out there next Wednesday 

*** red mark in pic is the area I was in past the large power lines wasn’t sure if your aloud to go in there signs where confusing 

Replies

• Big MakBig Mak Posts: 5,673 Admiral
    You're fine as long as you're not crossing the fence into P-Whitney property, and not using a centerfire rifle. Either error is highly frowned upon. 

From which direction did you hear the shots? ;)
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 11,281 AG
    Correct Term is..
    Big Ole Boar Hog..just sayin
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • Steve_raleighSteve_raleigh Posts: 279 Deckhand
    Big Mac the shots I heard came from the south of the area I was in on that map I’d guess where it says south grade with the trail marked #8 

turnerriver that’s kinda the name I was thinking while he was looking at me 
  • Nsmith2015Nsmith2015 Ocala Posts: 21 Deckhand
    Didn’t wanna walk in while it was dark since I wasn’t familiar with the area at all walked in around 6:30 am and maybe 20 steps in a monster tusked boar ( not sure of correct term)
    sat on the path and stared me down for about 30 seconds stayed until 11am got really hot 
    didn’t see any signs of turkeys like tracks or hear any gobbles did hear a couple shots fired in the distance 

so glad I finally took the first step of going can’t wait to get back out there next Wednesday 

*** red mark in pic is the area I was in past the large power lines wasn’t sure if your aloud to go in there signs where confusing 
    Are there quite a few hogs in the area? I am moving from Michigan to Florida in a few months and I am looking to explore different hunting and fishing opportunities in Florida! Thanks in advance. 
    Nsmith from my one visit I can say there are definitely hogs all I was looking for turkeys I’ll probably go back looking for hogs and see nothing but turkeys

but if you’ll be in Ocala it’s kinda far this wma is in palm beach county
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 3,590 Captain
    Steve Raleigh I dont think Id look around that red box you were in. As far as i know its a bit wet for Turkeys. Pratt property does hold some fine bucks and Gobblers based on convo with head of security I had years ago. But good luck pullin em out of that happy sanctuary. Check the burn maps at the South check station.....and bring your most comfortable walking boots...
    Thanks for the info pinman 
    gonna scout tomorrow for Saturday hunting 
    Starting to 2nd guess going out there on a Saturday 
    edited March 2021 #10
    No turkeys today never heard a single gobble stayed until 6pm 
    but I do love this place had a nice camp style lunch and fished 
  • awayaway Posts: 500 Deckhand
    That's awesome
    No turkeys today never heard a single gobble stayed until 6pm 
    but I do love this place had a nice camp style lunch and fished 
    Dang nobody at THEE pavillion?  15 minutes from my house, give me a holler if you need anything...
  • This is a Blatant Political post...
    Look at that 4x4 on the right.....yea , you see it
  • altuckaltuck TallahasseePosts: 1,471 Officer
    Just to start a fight, that ain't no 4X4.
  • Yea your right 6x6 or 8x8 post...but you didn't see the writing till I pointed it out...loser
  • altuckaltuck TallahasseePosts: 1,471 Officer
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 4,627 Captain
    Probably an out-of-town visitor judging by the penmanship and correct spelling.  ;)
  • jamesbrownsplitjamesbrownsplit Posts: 238 Deckhand

Are there quite a few hogs in the area? I am moving from Michigan to Florida in a few months and I am looking to explore different hunting and fishing opportunities in Florida! Thanks in advance. 
    Good thing you are used to lots of hunters. There are def hogs in there but you will have to put in a ton of work and be willing to deal with lots of unfavorable critters, potentially **** humans, and not be afraid of basically going swimming to get places during the wet months. Just my honest assessment. 

That said,  by far our best public land opportunities, in my opinion, center around ducks and snipe. The whole duck thing is kinda outta the bag and you’ll definitely have to deal with some BS but it can be really awesome hunting. Snipe are a little more low profile but they are awesome. I feel like they are highly undervalued and since social media doesn’t give a **** about them you can do it mostly undisturbed. Plus the season is really long.
    That's^^^ about as true a statement ever given here.
  • meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 1,137 Officer
    only googans and losers hunt corbett    place sucks     hunt further north   way better. north of  orlando and the panhandle is where you wanna be.
  • HollywoodcorollaHollywoodcorolla Posts: 697 Officer
    Corbett is a great place to learn how to really hunt Florida. Is there many animals there “yes” are they ninjas “yes” 
    If you can handle and consistently harvest animals there. Everything else will be mamas pie 
    For now Corbett is all I have and I’m thankful for it 
    I’m getting my boots worn really good and learning a lot each trip out there 
    I’ve got some good ideas for deer season and feel like I’ll be much better prepared for next turkey season 

any advice on some 
    of my spots I’d really appreciate it 
    Am I in the right areas or should I be in thick heavy wooded areas ? 
    Steve, I'm not so sure I would hunt turkeys in Corbett this late in the season in such "openness", unless I had some real solid intel they are there. Your set up looks solid and I probably would hunt something similar anywhere else, but Corbett is a different "animal" than most WMAs. 

Unless you're near a fence line bordering a no hunting area, I would be more inclined to hunt deeper in that burn, or somewhere near water/cypress.

Something to consider, and it's not my favorite way to hunt, is to get in there early on a Wednesday (fewer people) where you can quietly listen for some gobbling, and then get after it on foot. This has been productive for me but I only engage in it when I know they're no other hunters around. Unlike allot of people, I try to give distance and respect to others who have beaten me to a target. Aside from roosting a bird in the evening, this has worked for me more often than just plopping my fatass in somewhere blindly and calling until I'm out of breath.

I haven't hunted Corbett this season for turkeys, and I suspect it's dry as a popcorn fart out there, but I would be looking for some green cypress that is still holding water and try hunting around that. Regardless of what you're doing, just realize you're hunting in one of the most challenging WMAs in FL and when you finally score, it will be a much earned victory. Don't get discouraged. Stick with it and know that you're probably going to have to hunt till it hurts physically and mentally. ;)

Disclaimer; This is all opinion of course, but it has worked for me in the past. Other opinions may vary. Results are not guaranteed. ;)

• Them are some fine spots for the middle of the day but Turkeys roost over water and that means Cypress.
    Roost him up next to the water at night and catch him on his pitch down at first light..
    I love huntin the dried up pond heads.  Sit inside the Cypress in the shade and hidden by the ferns... wait for em to walk around on top of the dried up mud.   Easy to find tracks and strut marks too....
  • meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 1,137 Officer
    Pinman said:
    I love huntin the dried up pond heads.  Sit inside the Cypress in the shade and hidden by the ferns... wait for em to walk around on top of the dried up mud.   Easy to find tracks and strut marks too....
    also one of my favorite deer hunting spots in corbett late season     if water not to high inside cypress head great place to hunt midday    its also 15 degress cooler inside some of the thicker heads.