Home Off Topic

Manual Transmission

cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 36,125 AG
The other thread made me realize it has been over 30 years since I drove a manual transmission, Seems like every vehicle is an automatic these days, 

When was the last time you drove a manual transmission?

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

Replies

• 2amigo2amigo Posts: 6,562 Admiral
    2004.  Had an '86 Jeep Wrangler that I never had the top on.  Just the bikini top occasionally
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 9,788 Admiral
    Both of my last two trucks had  manual transmissions, I got my last truck in 2013
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 14,955 AG
    2009 i had a mazda protege hatchback that was a manual transmission.  it wasn't  bad little car but the wheels were garbage any time i hit a pothole a tire went flat.  then took my daughter to dinner one night and in I4 at Millennia blvd the drivers side front wheel fell the **** off.    Traded it in a week later on a toyota camry.  
    Yesterday's memories are not today's reality
  • Tarpon65Tarpon65 Posts: 6,744 Admiral
    Probably the early 90's when I was sporting around in a Honda CRX SI.  Fun little car.
    Always Do Sober What You Said You'd Do Drunk. That Will Teach You To Keep Your Mouth Shut. - Ernest Hemingway
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 13,696 AG
    My tractor has a standard transmission.
  • BallaCoiPersiciBallaCoiPersici NW Italy (Laveno Mombello)Posts: 6,811 Admiral
    Yesterday.
    Here manual transmission is still the most used although automatic ones are becoming common; but I still like the old Italian driving style (including acceleration challenges as traffic lights becomes green 😆*).

*just kidding 😏
    Massimo (former Ballak) - Please, be patient for my English
    ********************************************************************************************************************************
    I'm typing keeping close my "pasta hole"!
    Political correctness is a mental disease that can put you in slavery. The only cure is to turn on the brain.
    No hope in herd immunity although we don't miss the sheep
    Vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
    Never got to drive My grandfather's 1970 Dodge Ram with 3 on the tree.   That truck was a BEAST.   He plowed roads in the winter with it and paved roads in the summer.   
  • jetmech2jetmech2 Panhandle Posts: 737 Officer
    cadman said:
    The other thread made me realize it has been over 30 years since I drove a manual transmission, Seems like every vehicle is an automatic these days, 

When was the last time you drove a manual transmission?
    Today. Mustang 5 speed. 
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 36,125 AG
    I drove a 1968 American Motors Rambler a few times that was my grandfathers that had the three on the tree. Stick shifts are a lot easier and more fun, in my opinion.

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 2,658 Captain
    My first 2 trucks were stuck. 85 f150 with the 300/6 and 4 gears. Next truck was 1990 Toyota 4cyl 4x4 that I should have never sold. Since then it's been automatics. Manual is fun, but sucks in traffic.
    My first 2 trucks were stuck. 85 f150 with the 300/6 and 4 gears. Next truck was 1990 Toyota 4cyl 4x4 that I should have never sold. Since then it's been automatics. Manual is fun, but sucks in traffic.
    I remember riding up with my brother in 1992 when Andrew was bearing down on Boca.  He had a 86 Camaro with a 5 speed.   Boca to Clermont is around 200 miles normally 3.5hrs.  Took us 11.  His left leg was cramping badly by the time we finally started to move.  
  • jetmech2jetmech2 Panhandle Posts: 737 Officer
    My first trucks were 13 and 18 speeds. 
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 9,261 Admiral
    My last manual transmission was a 1986 F-150 with the straight 6 300 in it. It was a great truck except the AC went out and I never fixed it. When I went anywhere with other people they always offered to drive their vehicles because they couldn't handle the Florida heat. I gave it to my dad in 1996 when I bought a new truck with the 5.4L 8 cylinder and automatic transmission. So the answer is 1996.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 11,960 AG
    I have no idea
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,592 Captain
    Not including equipment, probably about a year ago. F450.
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 13,696 AG
    My last manual transmission was a 1986 F-150 with the straight 6 300 in it. It was a great truck except the AC went out and I never fixed it. When I went anywhere with other people they always offered to drive their vehicles because they couldn't handle the Florida heat. I gave it to my dad in 1996 when I bought a new truck with the 5.4L 8 cylinder and automatic transmission. So the answer is 1996.
    That was a great truck, that 6cyl was a horse.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,624 Moderator
    Saturday.   My father in laws jeep.  I’m also have a Jeep with manual.  Dad has a manual in a vw Jetta 
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • 2amigo2amigo Posts: 6,562 Admiral
    I had a white 1974 Datsun 260z that I bought in 1988 from my brother in law when i was 21 and had planned to keep it forever.   Faster than the 240z but they only made them for a year a year before making the 280.  Really fun car to drive.  Got totaled at an intersection where 2 cars collided in the middle of an intersection while I was just sitting there waiting to make a left hand turn. Here is what one looks like but mine was white with wire spoke wheels. 
    edited April 12 #20
    i had a1980 datsun  280 z and that thing shifted like butter.   independant suspension.  that was a fun little car with a straight 6
  • Buford CletusBuford Cletus Posts: 2,019 Captain
    All of the new tractors(semis) we order are automatics.  You can get the manuals but they are optional now and as such are an additional charge.  This is all on Frteightliners.
    All of the new tractors(semis) we order are automatics.  You can get the manuals but they are optional now and as such are an additional charge.  This is all on Frteightliners.
    pretty much the same for the volvos we buy.   We have 2019 Peterbuilts that are complete garbage.  Never buy those again.  
  • OGFOGF Posts: 932 Officer
    Yesterday.

2014 Harley ElectraGlide Ultra limited

• restlessnativerestlessnative Posts: 2,556 Captain
    My first 4 or 5 were all stick, then my last truck and current are automatic so probably around 2005 or so is when I stopped. I do miss it sometimes. 
  • evernic1evernic1 NMBPosts: 560 Officer
    2002, driving my 1995 bought new Mitsubishi 
    3000 GT , 5 spd
    like said above sticks in heavy traffic like we have here always , my left leg couldn’t take it anymore, sold that and leased a Jag X type 😊
    New to me 9-17-2020 2008 Donzi 38 ZSF 3 X 300 Verados
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 7,060 Admiral
    Saturday
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • Parker boyParker boy Posts: 296 Deckhand
    I have four vehicles with manual transmissions, 3 are in storage and rarely get driven and one gets driven weekly weather permitting. 
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 13,037 Moderator
    dave44 said:
    That was a great truck, that 6cyl was a horse.
    That 300 ci straight six had more torque than any engine I ever saw. With the granny gear ****, it would pull semi's out of a ditch.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• tom waxelbaumtom waxelbaum Posts: 487 Deckhand
    I always bought manual diesel Ford pickups. I still have a 2001 F350 4x4 with a six spd that we use for travel on the road. Though everyday driving is in my Honda Ridgeline. The F350 in stop and go traffic gets to my left knee now adays.
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 13,037 Moderator
    I always bought manual diesel Ford pickups. I still have a 2001 F350 4x4 with a six spd that we use for travel on the road. Though everyday driving is in my Honda Ridgeline. The F350 in stop and go traffic gets to my left knee now adays.
    You wore out that left knee kicking butt in Oakdale. :)

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• GeneakersGeneakers West Palm BeachPosts: 280 Deckhand
    2amigo said:
    I had a white 1974 Datsun 260z that I bought in 1988 from my brother in law when i was 21 and had planned to keep it forever.   Faster than the 240z but they only made them for a year a year before making the 280.  Really fun car to drive.  Got totaled at an intersection where 2 cars collided in the middle of an intersection while I was just sitting there waiting to make a left hand turn. Here is what one looks like but mine was white with wire spoke wheels. 
    I had one that was the deep forest green