Home Off Topic

Grey/Silver cars in the rain

tom waxelbaumtom waxelbaum Posts: 487 Deckhand
Drivers of grey cars that don't turn on headlights are very hard to see when the clouds are grey and the streets are wet I wonder if they realize how hard they are to see? When it's pouring rain they pretty much disappear.

Replies

• swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 2,333 Captain
    Yes - and like some, they still don’t know that if the wipers are on the head lights should be on.
  • Tarpon65Tarpon65 Posts: 6,744 Admiral
    Tom, do you have difficulty seeing black cars at night?  :*
    Always Do Sober What You Said You'd Do Drunk. That Will Teach You To Keep Your Mouth Shut. - Ernest Hemingway
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 36,125 AG
    People do not realize the purpose of headlights is so the other guy can see you. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• dave44dave44 Posts: 13,696 AG
    Headlights with wipers is standard equipment on cars now, isn’t it? 
  • tom waxelbaumtom waxelbaum Posts: 487 Deckhand
    Tarpon65 said:
    Tom, do you have difficulty seeing black cars at night?  :*
    If they are driving with no lights then yes.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 9,261 Admiral
    In South Florida during a heavy rain the Haitians slow down to 40 miles an hour and turn on the emergency flashers. That is almost just as bad.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 14,045 AG
    Maybe they had their hazards on instead
    Just dropping grenades in OT
    edited April 10 #9
    Yeah hazards or emergency flashers I consider them all the same. Still not supposed to do that.

― Ernest Hemingway

We posted at the same time, I wasn't replying to you.
    No problemo Pugs

― Ernest Hemingway

• Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,611 AG
    edited April 10 #12
    We call it stealth mode. Us grey car owners are a step above. 

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • SC53SC53 Posts: 638 Officer
    dave44 said:
    Turn signals are too but we know how that works. 
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 13,696 AG
    SC53 said:
    dave44 said:
    Turn signals are too but we know how that works. 
    We have that problem here too, but like concha said, I’ve never seen more people driving with flashers 20-30mph below the speed limit than Florida.
        And it’s much worse in a downpour.
  • aboveboredabovebored Posts: 1,312 Officer
    In South Florida during a heavy rain the Haitians slow down to 40 miles an hour and turn on the emergency flashers. That is almost just as bad.
    Watching out for mud slides.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,881 Admiral
    I was pulled over by a Collier County Sherriff one morning with my Flashers on in a heavy fog..headed to work from Everglades City to the NPS HQ at 7 am.
    I think he was just lonely cause out there in the far Glades ain,t much going on ..the Drunks are either in the canal or home by now.
    Just him , Me and the gators crossing the road.
    Glad I had someone to chat with for a bit.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    It’s hard to turn the turn signals or lights on, when you have one hand on the wheel and one hand full of cell phone...
  • jetmech2jetmech2 Panhandle Posts: 737 Officer
    Mango Man said:
    We call it stealth mode. Us grey car owners are a step above. 
    Until that tractor trailer knocks you into the ditch. 
     FYI the mirrors on trucks these days are anti glare(so the manufacturer’s claim) a grayish color car riding in the left lane in a rain or fog is almost invisible without headlights on. If the driver needs to make a quick lane change it’s usually a glance in the mirror. 
  • evernic1evernic1 NMBPosts: 560 Officer
    On 95 in dade/broward they have the electric signs lit up with

llights on flashers off in the rain it’s the LAW 

amazing how many idiots do just the opposite!!!
    probably don’t read English ☹️
    New to me 9-17-2020 2008 Donzi 38 ZSF 3 X 300 Verados
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 2,647 Captain
    I have lights that come on whenever my truck is running. Not as bright as regular headlights but still lights. These new cars don't have daytime lights like my truck? Maybe it's only the silver and gray ones. Anyone matching the speed of truck and driving along side it needs to be run over anyway.
    Hey, not everyone can afford a new car built in the last 10 years!
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 14,955 AG
    mplspug said:
    Maybe they had their hazards on instead
    i hate it when people do that.   
    Yesterday's memories are not today's reality
    So where in the US are hazards legal to use in the rain, because I would assume it isn't people who live here fulltime. But I can't imagine it is legal anywhere.  Maybe it is just old people and in that case they should have their hazard warnings on all the time.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 14,955 AG
    mplspug said:
    So where in the US are hazards legal to use in the rain, because I would assume it isn't people who live here fulltime. But I can't imagine it is legal anywhere.  Maybe it is just old people and in that case they should have their hazard warnings on all the time.
    My wife had a coworker who moved down from PA who used to do that, she said she thought you were SUPPOSED to do it down here??!!  Where do people get these ideas??   You move down to FL and suddenly it's the wild freaking west and you do whatever you want?  
    Yesterday's memories are not today's reality
    Gary S said:
    I have lights that come on whenever my truck is running. Not as bright as regular headlights but still lights. These new cars don't have daytime lights like my truck? Maybe it's only the silver and gray ones. Anyone matching the speed of truck and driving along side it needs to be run over anyway.
    Daytime running lights are FRONT only, no rear lights, very important to overtaking vehicles 
  • RedactionRedaction Posts: 1,658 Captain
    edited April 12 #26
    About five years ago I was backing out of my driveway at night and in the rain, I glanced back then used my mirrors as I was backing up. Looked both ways to ensure no vehicles were coming down the street. Continued backing up until I hit something...WTH???? I got out only to see my neighbors silver/grey mini van parked on the adjacent curb. Put my trailer hitch ball right through her plastic bumper. I pulled back in my drive and I swear the van blended in with the wet road, could barley see it. My wife still calls me Mr. Magoo because if it...lol 

oh yeah...my widows were tinted so that didn't help either.
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 2,647 Captain
    evernic1 said:
    Gary S said:
    Daytime running lights are FRONT only, no rear lights, very important to overtaking vehicles      

There ain't no overtaking vehicles.
    Gary S said:
    evernic1 said:
    Gary S said:

There ain't no overtaking vehicles.
    So you're always the leader of the pack... B)
    I just figured the, driving with flashers nut jobs have never experienced our Florida downpours and we’re in panic mode. 
  • JohnnyBanditJohnnyBandit Posts: 8,760 Admiral
    i turned on the lights on my truck when I pulled out of the dealership. Never  turned them off....

They magically know when to come  on and off...