Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast Fishing Reports

Really! WTH?

Bill DuaneBill Duane Posts: 310 Deckhand
This is what greeted me at the boat ramp today. As I walked up I thought it was a manatee, nope someone had tied up a nearly 300lb Goliath Grouper to the dock. It was upside down, still alive with severe barotrauma and they just left there to die. I knew it needed to be vented but wasn't about to do it without FWCs blessing. I gave them a call and they immediately  sent out an officer. Once vented we righted it and spent quite a long time reviving  this monster. After we did all we could, it finally swam slowly out of site. I hope it makes it.

Replies

• tagtag Posts: 9,165 Admiral
    WTH is right. Which ramp? I wonder if there is a camera there. 
  • gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 2,235 Captain
    tag said:
    WTH is right. Which ramp? I wonder if there is a camera there. 
    Good thought.  It'd be great to catch that a**hole.
  • ChillyChilly Posts: 555 Officer
    some guy was rushing home to get his cooler and you let his fish go?!  how dare you!  joking....

CHEAP BAIT! Try our NE FL Bait Co-op: http://northeastfloridabaitcoop.com/

• BattlefishBattlefish Jacksonville, FLPosts: 263 Deckhand
    Very sad. Good job on your part
    Fishing YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyKdiam7vzvGthpaR1Anrdw 

BattleFish
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 10,356 AG
    That ain’t no 300 pounder

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• bocapup1bocapup1 Posts: 1,502 Captain
    Good job brother
  • Bill DuaneBill Duane Posts: 310 Deckhand
    edited April 8 #8
    That ain’t no 300 pounder

It was longer than me  and twice around 
    The estimate was from FWC. I would have said 500 because all of my fish are bigger to me 
  • livebait1livebait1 west JaxPosts: 149 Deckhand
    Blessings to you.
  • kayjay90kayjay90 FlaglerPosts: 67 Deckhand
    Barotrama would be strange. Most ramps are less than 20ft.
    wonder if it ate someone’s stringer or bait bucket?? Most people wouldn’t have the balls to tie off a grouper at a busy boat ramp and come back for it later.
    and the average joe wouldn’t have the tackle to land such a beast.
  • Bill DuaneBill Duane Posts: 310 Deckhand
    kayjay90 said:
    wonder if it ate someone’s stringer or bait bucket?? Most people wouldn’t have the balls to tie off a grouper at a busy boat ramp and come back for it later.
    No bucket, plenty of air came out once we stuck it. Turns out that FWC found the guy that tied it up at the ramp. He said he found it floating in the river where the water is 50' plus and left it for the FWC to pick up. Maybe someone caught it in the inlet and released it without venting it. 
  • StonehengeStonehenge Posts: 256 Deckhand
    kayjay90 said:
    No bucket, plenty of air came out once we stuck it. Turns out that FWC found the guy that tied it up at the ramp. He said he found it floating in the river where the water is 50' plus and left it for the FWC to pick up. Maybe someone caught it in the inlet and released it without venting it. 
    If they went through all that trouble to drag it to the boat ramp and tie it up for FWC...  then why did they stop short of calling FWC and reporting it?  

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 15,822 AG
    I'd have thrown the rope back down tied to a concrete block and waited for whoever came back so i could report them to FWC.  would have been a solid stakeout.  
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • islandrunislandrun North EastPosts: 17 Deckhand
    Barotrama at Stonehenge said:
    kayjay90 said:
    If they went through all that trouble to drag it to the boat ramp and tie it up for FWC...  then why did they stop short of calling FWC and reporting it?  

Barotrauma at 50 feet,  Hmm that's strange..
  • Morocco_madnessMorocco_madness Posts: 2,974 Captain
    Its baffling to me that people don't understand how Barotrama works. It only takes a 30 foot depth to cause the condition. That's 1 measly atmosphere. That's all it takes. Reds, big Drum, Snook, and virtually every bottom dweller that lives on a reef. If it possesses a swim bladder, surfaces too rapidly in water over 30 feet deep, it blows right up. You think just because you see a fish swim off, its home free but, its not. You just don't see your fish floating back up some minutes later down current. Goliath Grouper are especially susceptible to it. They're definitely not stamina fighters. That, coupled with the fact that they have an enormous swim bladder means you'll need to vent every deep water Goliath you catch.
  • kayjay90kayjay90 FlaglerPosts: 67 Deckhand
    Most anglers wouldn’t have the tackle to pull that beast from the bottom, shark fisherman MIGHT get really lucky.
  • One DropOne Drop Posts: 373 Deckhand
    Its baffling to me that people don't understand how Barotrama works. It only takes a 30 foot depth to cause the condition. That's 1 measly atmosphere. That's all it takes. Reds, big Drum, Snook, and virtually every bottom dweller that lives on a reef. If it possesses a swim bladder, surfaces too rapidly in water over 30 feet deep, it blows right up. You think just because you see a fish swim off, its home free but, its not. You just don't see your fish floating back up some minutes later down current. Goliath Grouper are especially susceptible to it. They're definitely not stamina fighters. That, coupled with the fact that they have an enormous swim bladder means you'll need to vent every deep water Goliath you catch.
    Yeah man I uses to see it all the time fishing the 30' reef in Boca for Mango's. You're freelining and trying to not get rocked if its a good fish so you reel intensely after a good hit. We didn't realize the damage we were doing until we fished 2 boats on the reef and saw small yellowtails floating by our chumslick. We started venting from that trip on. Also started reeling a little slower with tightened drags and was deliberately trying not to pop bladders out. Turns out our hookup ratio to landings went up and we released more fish with a lower mortality rate. And this was only 30' in a flats boat. 
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,883 Captain
    edited April 11 #18
    Did ya'll use the J-ville special, stick'em with a butcher knife, venting method?

• Morocco_madnessMorocco_madness Posts: 2,974 Captain
    One Drop said:
    Yeah man I uses to see it all the time fishing the 30' reef in Boca for Mango's. You're freelining and trying to not get rocked if its a good fish so you reel intensely after a good hit. We didn't realize the damage we were doing until we fished 2 boats on the reef and saw small yellowtails floating by our chumslick. We started venting from that trip on. Also started reeling a little slower with tightened drags and was deliberately trying not to pop bladders out. Turns out our hookup ratio to landings went up and we released more fish with a lower mortality rate. And this was only 30' in a flats boat. 

Exactly. FWC needs to crack down and make venting the law. There also needs to be more awareness of the process. Ill bet yah with all the offshore boats out there catching and releasing Red Snapper, a good half if not more, die from not being vented.
  • dontezumadontezuma Posts: 306 Deckhand
    Well, hopefully the descender law that went into place last year is being respected.  If so, that's better than venting.