Skip to main content
Home Conservation Forums

Who gets the fine?

I've always been curious, let's say you have a boat with 4 people. If only the captain has a saltwater license (and they're fishing in saltwater), who gets fined? The unlicensed fishermen or the captain?

Replies

• poncedoradoponcedorado Posts: 871 Officer
    edited November 2020 #2
    Could be either or both depending on the situation. 

There are really two separate offenses-

1) Fishing without a license, which can be a little subjective if not everybody on the boat is actively fishing the whole time. That's on the individual fishing without a license.

2) Fish in the cooler- I don't believe law enforcement tries to assign whose fish are whose when checking a boat. If there are more fish in the box than the limit based on number of licensed anglers, that falls squarely on the captain. This is definitely the more severe offense. 

Edit: I shouldn't be so confident that scenario 2 always falls fully on the captain. If the group is generally cooperative and the unlicensed friends fess up to fishing and contributing to the cooler, maybe the LEO spreads the love around
  • gr8dilagr8dila Posts: 52 Deckhand
    Thank you for your reply. It all makes sense.
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,305 Officer
    In the case of over the limit or short fish everyone on the boat can be given a ticket as you are all in possession of said fish. I wont let anyone on my boat without a license. Even family and friends. Because if you get caught you and your boat will be targeted for years by Co.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 16,637 AG
    My wife won't get in the water, if it's not a pool, she's NOT going in.   But when we go scalloping she has her license just in case we want to fish that morning.   In my scenario we could include her license towards the total catch of scallops, but honestly i've never been close to an amount that it would matter. 
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,305 Officer
    edited March 2021 #6
    My wife won't get in the water, if it's not a pool, she's NOT going in.   But when we go scalloping she has her license just in case we want to fish that morning.   In my scenario we could include her license towards the total catch of scallops, but honestly i've never been close to an amount that it would matter. 

Maybe if the CO wasnt watching from a distance. But you would be lying to say your wife caught her limit. And if he was observing he will hammer you. There is no such thing as a boat limit each licensed person must catch their own fish. CO's hate lie'rs and litterers.