Home Conservation Front

Where have the Dolphin gone?

FS BlairFS Blair Posts: 1,839 Admin
Who else on the east coast and keys has experienced a less than stellar summer dolphin season?  

Replies

  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 9,576 Admiral
    Folks never should have started calling them Mahi. It only created a larger market for them. Just like "Chilean Sea Bass".  Now Dolphin is served in every city across the country as Mahi. Even though the bulk of commercial fish are caught in other countries, it affects the local population as they are migratory. 
    Just my simple stupid opinion. 

    “Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 12,025 AG
    Are we even allowed to call them dolphin now?
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,698 Captain
    I recall a similar situation a few years back with the blackened redfish craze.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,234 AG
    US commercial fleet doesn't catch very many.

    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,709 Captain
    It’s pretty much by catch for the US guys, isn’t it Art? 

    I’ve been fishing for dolphin in Florida since the 60’s. They’ve always been cyclic. I don’t think there’s a big difference in the population between now and then. What there is, is probably 1000 times more people fishing for them. Way better boats, much longer range, waaaaay better electronics, and 20 year financing so everyone can buy one. All that definitely it’s in to what individual fishermen catch.
  • 2amigo2amigo Posts: 6,626 Admiral
    I heard from some dudes here that own a fish market that they are getting nailed in the Caribbean by foreign fleets. 
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,234 AG
    pottydoc said:
    It’s pretty much by catch for the US guys, isn’t it Art? 

    I’ve been fishing for dolphin in Florida since the 60’s. They’ve always been cyclic. I don’t think there’s a big difference in the population between now and then. What there is, is probably 1000 times more people fishing for them. Way better boats, much longer range, waaaaay better electronics, and 20 year financing so everyone can buy one. All that definitely it’s in to what individual fishermen catch.
    yep on the bycatch and the commercial usually don't fill their ACL.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,709 Captain
    2amigo said:
    I heard from some dudes here that own a fish market that they are getting nailed in the Caribbean by foreign fleets. 
    This ^
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 2,487 Captain
    FS Blair said:
    Who else on the east coast and keys has experienced a less than stellar summer dolphin season?  
    Walmart you moron. Ban commercial fishing. Ban the sale of wild caught fish in the US, watch them return. 
  • SnapperwhackerhardSnapperwhackerhard Posts: 31 Deckhand
    H20dad you statement makes you sound like a TROGLODYTE. The Recreational Annual Catch Limit for Dolphin is 
    13,810,361 pounds

    The Commercial Annual Catch limit is

    1,534,485

    ONLY
    294,679
     

    Have been caught this year Commercially.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,234 AG
    H20dad you statement makes you sound like a TROGLODYTE. The Recreational Annual Catch Limit for Dolphin is 
    13,810,361 pounds

    The Commercial Annual Catch limit is

    1,534,485

    ONLY
    294,679
     

    Have been caught this year Commercial






    he's a public land duck  somewhat guide,
    He's upset that his bread line spots are now closed off.
    He may actually have to work to produce for his clients,.
    He may fold because he really never was good to begin with.

    S h i t happens
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 12,025 AG
    edited August 2020 #13
    H20dad said:
    FS Blair said:
    Who else on the east coast and keys has experienced a less than stellar summer dolphin season?  
    Walmart you moron. Ban commercial fishing. Ban the sale of wild caught fish in the US, watch them return. 

    I've read some stupid stuff on this forum before, but this one may make the top three.
    Read my sig and then think about that.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • Ron38SpecialRon38Special S FloridaPosts: 109 Deckhand
    Fishing in the US has absolutely no impact on our dolphin fishing. Chinese fleets in the Islands, and in the Yucatan are the  culprit.
    OK so on  light year, Florida can see some impact from the Keys, but all in all, we can catch all we can find and have no impact whatsoever. 
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,698 Captain
    Fishing in the US has absolutely no impact on our dolphin fishing. Chinese fleets in the Islands, and in the Yucatan are the  culprit.
    OK so on  light year, Florida can see some impact from the Keys, but all in all, we can catch all we can find and have no impact whatsoever. 
    Seems like every where you look China is screwing us............ Hope we wake up before it is too late!
  • MangroveMarkMangroveMark Oak HillPosts: 415 Deckhand
    FS Blair said:
    Who else on the east coast and keys has experienced a less than stellar summer dolphin season?  
    HaHa! How many years has it been since a stellar summer for dolphin would be more accurate. They've been decimated for quite a while. As for the guy that thinks it's cyclical, the cycle is less and less every year and smaller and smaller.
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 2,487 Captain
    ANUMBER1 said:
    H20dad you statement makes you sound like a TROGLODYTE. The Recreational Annual Catch Limit for Dolphin is 
    13,810,361 pounds

    The Commercial Annual Catch limit is

    1,534,485

    ONLY
    294,679
     

    Have been caught this year Commercial






    he's a public land duck  somewhat guide,
    He's upset that his bread line spots are now closed off.
    He may actually have to work to produce for his clients,.
    He may fold because he really never was good to begin with.

    S h i t happens
    You must vote Democrat to believe the manure that is spread about me. But I’m not shocked some commercial anglers would show up and defend it until the species is gone. 
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 9,576 Admiral
    Look at how the directed fishery has changed world wide over the past few decades. If you create a demand then you will have suppliers.
    http://www.fao.org/figis/website/html/widget-fishstat-capture-quantity-per-species.html?figisWidth=620&figisHeight=340&species=DOL&lang=en#captureTabs-chart

    “Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,709 Captain
    FS Blair said:
    Who else on the east coast and keys has experienced a less than stellar summer dolphin season?  
    HaHa! How many years has it been since a stellar summer for dolphin would be more accurate. They've been decimated for quite a while. As for the guy that thinks it's cyclical, the cycle is less and less every year and smaller and smaller.
    Read Ron’s post. That’s where the problem is. Al (Anumber1) is correct on the US commercial  catch, also. This isn’t a case of our local commercial guys over fishing. Putting further limits on rec guys isn’t going to help. If we go own that path, dolphin will soon be regulated like ARS. 
  • MangroveMarkMangroveMark Oak HillPosts: 415 Deckhand
    I'm well aware of the fact that most have been caught south and west of us for years and made the point that hardly anyone has had a STELLAR SUMMER for dolphin in the Keys or southeast Florida for many years. I've fished those waters for over 60 years so I know what it used to be like. The Oregon Inlet boys still have excellent dolphin fishing since they catch the ones that travel north up from east of the Bahamas.
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,709 Captain
    I'm not a puppy myself. only about 55 years for me, though. I know what it used to be like also. I also know that the catch is spread out over literally 1000's more boats and fishermen. Changing limits on recs isn't gonna do crap. Especially size limits.
  • FS BlairFS Blair Posts: 1,839 Admin
    Please see my Call to Action Column in the Oct issue.  We need to contact our (Florida's) representatives on South Atlantic Fishery Management Council.

    Jessica McCawley 850-487-0554

    Chester Brewer  561 655-4777

    Art Sapp  954 444-0820

    Tell them what you're seeing.  Like others have said here already, the lack of fish is most likely the result of overfishing and too much pressure by the recreational anglers.  Us.  We need to do something about it.  A reduction in bag limits and a possible increase in the min size could help.  Right now too many small fish are being kept and there aren't enough big fish being caught.  At least that's what I'm seeing and hearing.

    But, you may have a different experience, if so, the people listed above need to hear from you.  
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,709 Captain
    Y’all should go
    check out the birthday thread for FS magazine. One of the articles  from
    long ago was a”where have all the dolphin gone”. Keep on asking for more refs, the government will be happy to give them to us. 
  • FS BlairFS Blair Posts: 1,839 Admin
    pottydoc said:
    Y’all should go
    check out the birthday thread for FS magazine. One of the articles  from
    long ago was a”where have all the dolphin gone”. Keep on asking for more refs, the government will be happy to give them to us. 
    What's your recommendation?  Clearly, if we don't give input we're likely to be asking the same questions again 20 years from now.  
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,709 Captain
    edited January 8 #25
    I’m not against some tighter regulation, but 30” minimum is a little long IMO. 24” would be more suitable. I don’t think the position limit should go down, but possibly the boat limit. 40 would be a good number. I thought the article was funny because of the number of posters that call that time frame “the good old days” and talk about how many fish, and how many bigger fish there were. Most of them were little kids at that point and have zero idea what it was actually like. I really laugh when I see them post about a 5 gallon bucket full of fish who’s tails barely stuck out. I have never seen that in my life in spite of being at public fish cleaning stations hundreds of times. And neither have they. It’s just something they read, and now repeat on line. Their claims that most of the fish caught by guys that keep a limit are thrown away, or go bad in the freezer are bs also. As is their claim that there’s not enough meat on them to be worthwhile. Of course, the same guys will clean up a limit of yellow tail, mangos, and vermilions that are 10-12” in a heartbeat. Truthfully, I don’t know what the answers are, Blair. Lots of the fish never make it this far anymore because of the commercial pressure in other countries south of here. But regulating our own fishery down to the point it’s no longer worth targeting dolphin will help nothing. 

  • Bigfish5Bigfish5 Posts: 447 Deckhand
    pottydoc said:
    I’m not against some tighter regulation, but 30” minimum is a little long IMO. 24” would be more suitable. I don’t think the position limit should go down, but possibly the boat limit. 40 would be a good number. I thought the article was funny because of the number of posters that call that time frame “the good old days” and talk about how many fish, and how many bigger fish there were. Most of them were little kids at that point and have zero idea what it was actually like. I really laugh when I see them post about a 5 gallon bucket full of fish who’s tails barely stuck out. I have never seen that in my life in spite of being at public fish cleaning stations hundreds of times. And neither have they. It’s just something they read, and now repeat on line. Their claims that most of the fish caught by guys that keep a limit are thrown away, or go bad in the freezer are bs also. As is their claim that there’s not enough meat on them to be worthwhile. Of course, the same guys will clean up a limit of yellow tail, mangos, and vermilions that are 10-12” in a heartbeat. Truthfully, I don’t know what the answers are, Blair. Lots of the fish never make it this far anymore because of the commercial pressure in other countries south of here. But regulating our own fishery down to the point it’s no longer worth targeting dolphin will help nothing. 

    Sorry, but i have to disagree with the bucket thing.   I have seen the guys in the keys empty their fish boxes into 5 gallon buckets, with the dolphins head down, and tails are sticking up just past the bucket.   It looks like 20 fish fit into one 5 gallon bucket.   I would be ok with some regulation,  and i am all for a much smaller boat limit, especially when your talking charter boats in places like the keys.   When one boat nabs 60small schoolies, those are all fish that are not going to be traveling north, and growing into decent sized fish.   I think 20 fish per boat is more than ample.     

    I remember how it was just back in the 90's and the dolphin fishing was sooo much better than it is now.   I am pretty sure that me catching 7 or 8 fish 5 or 6 times a year is not having the effect that a head boat going daily in the key is.   60 fish per boat,  are you kidding me!  
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,709 Captain
    The boat limit is not 60. It’s 10 per person, with a maximum of 60. That would require 6 passengers on
    board, crew not allowed in the count on charters. While the bucket thing probably happens occasionally, it is not nearly as prevalent as claimed. Most folks posting about seeing it are just claiming they did. Of course, those same folks will boat 10 12” yellow tail each, or keep a barely legal pup swordfish, but that’s “different”. 


  • christopher15christopher15 TexasPosts: 16 Deckhand
    Seems there is a problem
Sign In or Register to comment.