Home Off Topic

Rye Grass

mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 14,538 AG
Anyone grow rye grass in winter? This is the first year I tried it and I am impressed.  There will be no more bare brown spots and weeds in the winter.  Plus it will keep the lawn from erroding more in the winter. 

I know, cool story, right?
Just dropping grenades in OT

Replies

• cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 37,005 AG
    edited March 23 #2

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 9,889 Admiral
    Yes I put Rye on a pasture for the horses, also about 75-100 feet around the house
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 14,401 AG
    I’m not sure I can approve of the “bare”, “brown” and “spots” part of the equation.
       I think it might need a bit of re-education, as it lacks empathy and wokness.
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,534 Captain
    mplspug said:
    Anyone grow rye grass in winter? This is the first year I tried it and I am impressed.  There will be no more bare brown spots and weeds in the winter.  Plus it will keep the lawn from erroding more in the winter. 

I know, cool story, right?
    Good, temporary cover.
  • YnotjaxYnotjax Posts: 504 Officer
    My Dad did that one year Got the lawn guy upset.  Had to haul all his lawn equipment just to mow one house on the block he has several houses in a row and had to make a special trip just to cut one lawn 
  • RennieRaeRennieRae Posts: 767 Officer
    If you overseed with Bahia this spring as the Rye grass dies you will not ever have brown spots again...
    Bob 

17 ft. Ankona Native with 40 hp Suzuki 4 stroke 
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 14,538 AG
    Bahia is a little spendy.  Is it a perennial?  Judging by my 50# rye at $50, I can do my entire yard in the winter for $150-$200.  Bahia looks like it cost anywhere from 3-5Xs as much.
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 14,473 Moderator
    Are you comparing annual or perennial ryegrass to Bahia? Plus either rye is not going to do well in hot weather.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• RennieRaeRennieRae Posts: 767 Officer
    mplspug said:
    Judging by my 50# rye at $50, I can do my entire yard in the winter for $150-$200.  Bahia looks like it cost anywhere from 3-5Xs as much.
    True, but Bahia does not die off in hot weather like the Rye will do.  If you spread the Bahia seed now, the rye will help protect it from birds and will also help to fertilize it when it dies off.  In my part of Florida (west central) it works very well on sandy soil where other grass has a hard time...  they also use that technique in the rough of some golf courses here. Bahia will also seed itself through the hot months if you let it grow high enough to have the seed pods, then mulch it.  
    Bob 

17 ft. Ankona Native with 40 hp Suzuki 4 stroke 
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 7,081 Admiral
    mplspug said:
    Bahia is a little spendy.  Is it a perennial?  Judging by my 50# rye at $50, I can do my entire yard in the winter for $150-$200.  Bahia looks like it cost anywhere from 3-5Xs as much.
    Did you ever get that pusley under control?
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 9,889 Admiral
    He said Todd moved out.....
    Are you comparing annual or perennial ryegrass to Bahia? Plus either rye is not going to do well in hot weather.
    Which is why I referenced winter 4-5 times.  I know it is temporary for winter 
    mplspug said:
    That isn't going to happen 
  • restlessnativerestlessnative Posts: 2,638 Captain
    Well if you go rye for 3-5 winters it is a wash,  it to mention the trips to the store to buy it and the work to put it out. I’m the kinda guy that likes to spend more on the front end to fix things right though, some aren’t wired that way. To each their own, it’s your life. Too bad Todd is gone you prolly could have bartered services with him for him to take care of all that stuff for you leaving you more time to train your little ankle biter. 
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 7,081 Admiral
    edited March 25 #16
    mplspug said:
    mplspug said:
    That isn't going to happen 
    Then it really doesn't matter what kind of grass you plant, or when you plant it..... You may as well just fertilize the pusley and sell the mower. Use the money on a creative writing class.
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 2,735 Captain
    Darn man appreciate the brown winter grass and enjoy a green spring. Next you’ll be gluing leaves on your bare trees.  ;) Just kidding...