Skip to main content
Home General Hunting

Apalachicola wma

edburn24edburn24 Posts: 5 Deckhand
Hey y’all, 
I’ll be heading up to Tallahassee in a couple weeks for the weekend. I am hoping to get away a few mornings and try for Turkey. I’ve never been up to that WMA and won’t have much time to scout... any information would be helpful as I’m not familiar with the area. How are the birds up there? How’s the traffic during season? 

Replies

• altuckaltuck Posts: 1,477 Officer
    Good number of turkeys all over forest. The closer they are to Tallahassee = more pressure, tougher to hunt.
    I would go west on hiway 20 and turn south on SR 375, anywhere along the river is good.
    I have not hunted there this year yet, but have had good success in Mack Lake and Vause Branch area.
  • DoradoDreaminDoradoDreamin Posts: 2,105 Captain
    Agree with altuck.  Head toward the river out there.  Good luck if you get out.
  • joekat46joekat46 Posts: 2,847 Captain
    Wow!  Replies such as this are very rare for this forum.  Nice to see.
    I thought that was the whole idea. Discussion, questions, helpful info, sharing.
  • needtohuntmoreneedtohuntmore Posts: 512 Officer
    altuck, it is/was the whole idea.  Unfortunately once a spot hits the forum it gets hammered.  
  • Crkr23Crkr23 Posts: 595 Officer
    Altuck, I've read your threads and responses and from what I can gather you are one of the few people on this forum that I could hunt with.
    My old Uncle Jim taught me a lot about hunting and people. He said "If you want to find the yellow (greed) in a man, hunt with him, hunting will bring it out.
    You sir have none, my hat is off to you.
  • WildManWildMan Posts: 337 Deckhand
    Already some good info. provided.  There are pockets of birds all over ANF.  I like to find those out of the way birds where there are few hunters, just takes some miles in the truck and on foot.  The pine blocks that have been routinely burned are pretty open, so the birds will see you from a long ways off so be careful when moving on a bird.  As mentioned, ANF birds can be tough to hunt, so less calling is better, and sometimes you may have to ambush him if you want to kill him.  Some (a lot) of the roads can be pretty bad, so just because you come up on a mudhole that doesn't look too bad, beware.  Have been buried to the frame and have flooded the cab until I learned my lesson.  I would recommend getting the Avenza app on your phone and downloading the ANF road use map as it will help you navigate the myriad of roads out there.

I agree with Crkr23 that Altuck seems to be a stand up person and a great addition to the forum.  Altuck hope to see you out on ANF and trade some turkey hunting war stories...
    Thanks guys, I guess I have reached the point where the people, the stories and the enjoyment of nature is more important than the killing. I called a gobbler within 60 yards of my front porch yesterday, just to prove I still could.
    Didn't care enough to shoot him.
    If I have knowledge about something, I don't mind sharing with others. How else can we pass on our love for the outdoors ? 
  • shempshemp Posts: 692 Officer
    Through PMs (LOL...JK)