Skip to main content
Home Fly Fishing

the Completely-Original Sunflower Fly (@) designed completely and solely by me, patent-pending

sunflowersunflower osprey, floridaPosts: 702 Officer
edited March 2021 in Fly Fishing #1

Can't say that my production skills have improved ...

Size 2 hook,
Hareline brass large dumbell eyes,
Puglisi minnow fibers,
flash, a Sharpie

https://youtu.be/Qx8bkkJ1wfs

Mark

grace finds goodness in everything ...

Replies

• ClamfootClamfoot OviedoPosts: 59 Deckhand
    Ha
    The good Lord came to save liars and sinners, that’s why he started with 4 fishermen
    edited March 2021 #3

BTW, Saturdays scorecard for Mark's really long named fly patent-pending.

2 Snook (predawn dock lights)
    3 nice sized Jacks
    1 small Rusty
    Coutless bluefish.

All were caught on the blond synthetic fibers, none on the redhead with white bucktail which seemed to sink a little slower and sink differently. I'm not sure if that is what made the difference in the results. 

The good Lord came to save liars and sinners, that’s why he started with 4 fishermen
  • sunflowersunflower osprey, floridaPosts: 702 Officer

Nice! Better than I have ever done.
    In my experience, I have to strip the fly pretty-fast for jacks and bluefish.
    Slower for trout, anything works on ladyfish, and tiny jerks and pauses for pompano.
    What's a "rusty?"

Mark

Rusty = juvenile Redfish.

One of the Snook hit on the slow drop. The cast was deep into a boat slip, under a hanging boat, outside of the current just beyond on the shadow line (that one was big fun). The other snook hit on the splash, in the current, on the shadow line. 

Jacks and Blues were slow strips, mid-drift in the fast outflow of mangrove marsh near the inlet. Like fishing a trout stream. The floating line was doing all the work 

The Redfish pick-up was on a slow drag across the bottom, way up a similar outflow creek before the flow really got moving.

The synthetic wing was certainly the performer. No real action on the bucktail while fishing the same docks lights. It all started to work when I switched to the synthetic fly. I might be crazy, but I think that the sink rate and profile are more natural on that one than on the bucktail (or it's just dumb luck). After the two early morning Snook, I put away the fly box and committed to using that fly the whole day. 

Man, I wish I had some Pompano to chase.
    Next trip out I'll poke around some trout haunts and see what happens.         
  • troutbomtroutbom Posts: 402 Deckhand
    Just curious Sunflower, why brass not lead? Environmental issue? I use lead when I want to get my clousers deep and only use brass when lead prohibited as it is in Yellowstone national Park .
  • sunflowersunflower osprey, floridaPosts: 702 Officer

Honestly ... brass is just shinier and prettier.
    Lead eyes tend to be made with blunter, uglier lines and edges.
    Mark

• troutbomtroutbom Posts: 402 Deckhand
    Reason enough!