Skip to main content
Home Fly Fishing

Tarpon on a fly... Key West then Boca Grande area looking for a good fly fishing guide

TampaCTTampaCT Posts: 67 Deckhand
I know that the board tends to hate these request for guide recommendations, but the truth is that the "crowd" is a great way to find someone who has historically shown pride in their job (putting you on fish and creating a good experience for the day).  

I am looking to hit Key West as soon as I get my 2nd shot, which is soon.  Looking for a shallow water fly fishing guide to get my first tarpon on a fly.  What is the  best time of year to do this?  (April?) 

Second, I love to fish for Tarpon on the beaches off of Cayo Costa or Gasparilla islands, just have never done it with a fly.  Looking for  a fly fishing guide in the Boca Grande area to show me the ropes... 

Who has recommendations?  

Replies

• BlackfinjerryBlackfinjerry SW FlPosts: 6 Deckhand
    In General, Capt Charlie Coleman is a super guide for all types of fishing in Boca area.
      Specializing in Fly would be Capt Cole Fairbanks in that area.
  • sunflowersunflower osprey, floridaPosts: 709 Officer

It's very late to try to book a Key West guide for tarpon.
    The season runs from March-June.
    I doubt you can get a resident guide, but there are lots of guides who come in for season.
    I don't think the question will be who you want- but who you can get.
    Aaron Snell, Drew Delashmitt, and Ian Slater are excellent guides I have used.
    I had poor experiences with Brandon Cyr, Bruce Chard, and Justin Rea. Not necessarily their fault- just the wrong guys for me. 
    Mark

grace finds goodness in everything ...

• restlessnativerestlessnative Posts: 2,949 Captain
    In General, Capt Charlie Coleman is a super guide for all types of fishing in Boca area.
      Specializing in Fly would be Capt Cole Fairbanks in that area.
    Charlie is one of my closest friends, and he wouldn’t care that I post that he does not do fly charters. I would call To my Locke or Parker O’bannon, but my guess is both are booked for this season already.  

Not sure on Key West other than the Cyr brothers, and likewise most are all gonna be booked for this season. Good luck though
  • RennieRaeRennieRae Posts: 798 Officer
    Try Captain Gregg McKee in the Boca area.  http://www.wildflycharters.com/
    Bob 

17 ft. Ankona Native with 40 hp Suzuki 4 stroke