Skip to main content
Home General Hunting

Hunting SxS Honda vs Can-am

rudyengrudyeng Posts: 503 Officer
Hey guys i wanted to give you an update on my experience with my Honda pioneer 1000 and Can-am defender Xmr. own both for several years. Hunted big cypress & JW Corbett. Both vehicles submerged up to about 5' deep and running in 2'-3' of water most of the time. BC was really hard on the Honda.

Issues to date running 30" Cryptid tires
Honda pioneer 1000
1. Honda blew the transmission $ 2,400 cost
2. Honda could not turn 30" tires well in the Corbett sand
3. Honda gear dogs had a hard time with Corbett sand. you really had to be careful shifting
4. Honda felt under powered but it was not designed to run 30" tires.

Defender Xmr
1. I was worried about the belt and slippage. Purchased a spare belt with removal tool & cover wrench. Belt has not been an issue. The spare belt cost $ 135. I have inspected the belt and it still looks new.
2. Added front & rear windows so the air intake on the Xmr picks up a lot of dirt. I added a pre-filter mesh and clean it after every ride
3. The defender air box collects a lot of dust. Not an issue for me because i service it every couple of rides.

Both are great SxS but i prefer the can-am Defender Xmr

Replies

• PinmanPinman Posts: 3,596 Captain
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,974 AG
    5 foot deep, sounds stupid right there..
    I wouldn't run my lifted jeep in 5 foot.

you run dogs or just drive back and forth to your stand?
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • rudyengrudyeng Posts: 503 Officer
    My Can-an Defender XMR is lifted and the snorkel height is about 6'. The problem with Corbett is you sometimes fall into a buggy rut hence 5' deep. You can't always tell how deep the water crossings are. I try to avoid deep water crossings as much as possible but BC & Corbett are always wet.  Very impressed with the Can-an Defender Xmr

No dogs. Just to and from my stand.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,974 AG
    makes more sense now..
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.