Home Conservation Front

Nestle taking our Spring waters

permit_mepermit_me Posts: 1,182 Officer
Nestle's at it again...https://www.news4jax.com/news/florida/2021/02/23/bottling-of-floridas-spring-water-to-expand-after-nestle-given-permit-extension/

On ongoing saga of Nestle having access to take our clean spring waters in addition to taking over so many small bottling companies. They probably dont pay taxes to our state (if I recall correctly they do not, because they provide "jobs"). Loss of mother natures purified water and a net gain of plastic in our waters.  Not sure what Florida gets outta this.  They do it in many other states as well.  

Removing our spring waters has been a big part of reducing water quality and quantity issues in the Big Bend region and panhandle region.  Apalachicola Bay has a 5 yr moratorium on oysters.  The four major spring fed rivers in the big bend are already at risk.  Water/spring flows have been continuously reduced for the past fifty years, coinciding w growth.  

This is an issue we all should get behind, maybe a petition to start. 




Replies

  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 16,284 AG
    you should look into how Niagara bottling screwed the city of Groveland out of millions of dollars with the old bait and switch routine.   Basically they get to pump all the water they want out of our aquifer with zero accountability because Groveland doesn't have the cajones to lawyer up when it comes to contract review.   Now they approved a 5000 home subdivision that is the final nail in that small town coffin....   I can't wait to move. 
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,972 Captain
    permit_me said:
    Nestle's at it again...https://www.news4jax.com/news/florida/2021/02/23/bottling-of-floridas-spring-water-to-expand-after-nestle-given-permit-extension/

    On ongoing saga of Nestle having access to take our clean spring waters in addition to taking over so many small bottling companies. They probably dont pay taxes to our state (if I recall correctly they do not, because they provide "jobs"). Loss of mother natures purified water and a net gain of plastic in our waters.  Not sure what Florida gets outta this.  They do it in many other states as well.  

    Removing our spring waters has been a big part of reducing water quality and quantity issues in the Big Bend region and panhandle region.  Apalachicola Bay has a 5 yr moratorium on oysters.  The four major spring fed rivers in the big bend are already at risk.  Water/spring flows have been continuously reduced for the past fifty years, coinciding w growth.  

    This is an issue we all should get behind, maybe a petition to start. 




    The moratorium on oysters has zero to with water quality. They’re still farming oysters there every day.
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 1,182 Officer
    I guess that UF/FWC studies currently going on don't mean squat. But they are looking at every aspect that is impacting the decline (of oyster populations). Lessen the amt of water flow and it concentrates the pollutants.  In fact they are taking and assessing water quality along with microecosytem oysters create.  My son was out there Wed and today on the negative tides working w/ them.
    I need to look into/read what the moratorium covers, I think at glance its was a 5,000 acre area.  They sure ain't farmin' what they used to...
    The point is that taking spring waters from our aquifers present a wide array of problems, and zero benefit.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,454 AG
    pottydoc said:
    permit_me said:
    Nestle's at it again...https://www.news4jax.com/news/florida/2021/02/23/bottling-of-floridas-spring-water-to-expand-after-nestle-given-permit-extension/

    On ongoing saga of Nestle having access to take our clean spring waters in addition to taking over so many small bottling companies. They probably dont pay taxes to our state (if I recall correctly they do not, because they provide "jobs"). Loss of mother natures purified water and a net gain of plastic in our waters.  Not sure what Florida gets outta this.  They do it in many other states as well.  

    Removing our spring waters has been a big part of reducing water quality and quantity issues in the Big Bend region and panhandle region.  Apalachicola Bay has a 5 yr moratorium on oysters.  The four major spring fed rivers in the big bend are already at risk.  Water/spring flows have been continuously reduced for the past fifty years, coinciding w growth.  

    This is an issue we all should get behind, maybe a petition to start. 




    The moratorium on oysters has zero to with water quality. They’re still farming oysters there every day.
    and failing big time...

    trust me, they are so far behind Cedar Key despite starting 7-10 years in advance..

    Oyster Boss is in Inglis and trying to get a foothold in CK to supplement his failed leases with wild caught and CK farmed..

    I hope he gets burnt out like the Applach boats that were caught oystering in closed waters at CK.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,972 Captain
    I know a couple of them causally, Art. If they’re failing, they dang sure don’t act like it, or spend money like they’re failing. I can’t speak for the whole industry, but the guys I’m aquatinted with are making pretty serious money. 
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 10,793 AG
    I have a simple and stupid idea. If a company takes Florida Spring water than the should be limited to selling it only within Florida.

    “Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

  • Terry RavenscraftTerry Ravenscraft Posts: 272 Deckhand
    How can some one sell a natural rehouse that is crucial to life to a private company ?
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 10,793 AG
    edited March 2 #9
    It’s the  same with oil,  fish and many other resources that people pay other people to harvest or mine it or drill it for them. In this case they pay to bottle it. It’s all about convenience. But like I said if you take it from Florida you should only offer it to Floridians. Personally I only drink bottled water when there’s no alternative I still fill my big giant stainless steel cup with ice and tapwater multiple times a day.

    “Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,454 AG
    pottydoc said:
    I know a couple of them causally, Art. If they’re failing, they dang sure don’t act like it, or spend money like they’re failing. I can’t speak for the whole industry, but the guys I’m aquatinted with are making pretty serious money. 
    Jeff Tilley.
    Oyster Boss
    Alligator Harbor All Stars.

    Their loss ratio is pretty high compared to CK farmers, maybe they have crop insurance thru the Dept of Ag.?
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,454 AG
    They're buying (or trying to) farmed and wild caught from Citrus, Levy, and Dixie county and hauling them back there..
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 1,182 Officer
    So after talking to my son about some the research they r doing off cedar key, Salinity is the primary focus of their current project on those particular reefs out there. water quality/pollution is also being looked as a factor impacting the reefs and their ecosystems. He's taking water samples and counting other organisms and species.  

    Again, the increasing salinity levels in estuaries the the four main springfed rivers of the Nature coast/lower big bend has been an issue we've been dealing with for a good sixty years or so. Increased salinity and pollution in runoff has been the largest impact on crab populations.

    A natural resource such as oil or gas is not essential to sustain life (in situ), that is other where it occurs. Whereas an oyster bar is an ecosystem unto itself but is dependent on and linked to other ecosystems. And where you have oysters and mangroves that's an even more highly specials ecosystem. Today we know that reducing freshwater flow has a negative impact on estuaries and those that rely on spring rivers are even more sensitive. 

    It would be interesting to find out exactly how many bottling plants Nestle has, on which springs and in which states.

    Take back our springs! 
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Digital Now Included!

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

Preview This Month's Issue

Buy Digital Single Issues

Don't miss an issue.
Buy single digital issue for your phone or tablet.

Buy Single Digital Issue on the Florida Sportsman App

Other Magazines

See All Other Magazines

Special Interest Magazines

See All Special Interest Magazines

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Florida Sportsman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement

Phone Icon

Get Digital Access.

All Florida Sportsman subscribers now have digital access to their magazine content. This means you have the option to read your magazine on most popular phones and tablets.

To get started, click the link below to visit mymagnow.com and learn how to access your digital magazine.

Get Digital Access

Not a Subscriber?
Subscribe Now