Skip to main content
Home Fly Fishing

first fly, first pompano ... job. done.

sunflowersunflower osprey, floridaPosts: 709 Officer
edited March 2021 in Fly Fishing #1

So, a friend is visiting from up North. He's done some river fly-fishing.
I wanted to give him the entire experience, so he practiced his double-haul in the street, and tied his first (pompano) fly.
He managed a ladyfish, and a nice little pompano.
(apologies for pushing the fish towards the camera ... I told him to do that as a joke!)
A very good time was had by all!

Mark

grace finds goodness in everything ...

Replies

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,721 Captain
    First time on the salt... scoring with a fly he tied himself... OUTSTANDING.... 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • sunflowersunflower osprey, floridaPosts: 709 Officer

Yes.
    Definitely  a good outing.
    People get a lot more out of it when they have a committment/investment.
    I think he will remember those fish.
    Unfortunately, I eventually broke his fly off and lost it ...
    Mark

You have to start planning now for his next visit... another step up the ladder.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,524 Moderator
    Next time he's here, get him sightfishing redfish or snook, then break him in on tarpon
    Jack,

that's like saying to someone after a round of golf ... "time to plan for Augusta."
    I don't sightfish for redfish or snook, and I've been fly-fishing for 15 years. It takes a lot of
    practice and experience to generate the sort of accurate, consistent 40-foot cast one needs for that.
    Otherwise it is a ton of disappointment. I went to Andros years ago with an inexperienced friend.
    There were literally 200 bonefish in front of us, I pulled out fish after fish with 60 foot casts. He could only cast about 40 feet, and the fish moved back out of that range. It was terrible. 
    I spent 10 years, and tens of thousands of dollars before I caught a permit.
    The truth is, you have to put time into your game to become a competent saltwater fly fisherman.
    Mark

• tarpon41tarpon41 Posts: 299 Deckhand
    Particularly when one  does not live in the  Keys with a skiff and time and money on his hands...And regarding Permit why are they such a pain and expense?  Because most of us pick three days in the future when the guide is available...but are the fish available in reasonable quantity and the weather on our picked days??... Sun?, Clouds? Wind? Tide...an example of what I would call forced, fishing for Permit the March Merkin in particular because of weather...yesterday none were caught 24 boats competing wind 20 plus NE...no water on the flats...my guide did not see a fish the whole day...now three plus weeks ago new moon february  for two days lots of fish we lucked out on warm weather and mostly sun until pm when broken clouds showed...but lots of fish on the flats and even this old fatman broke his two year curse and got one...even if I was flush enough to Tournament fish I'd rather take my chances particularly weather, in late June, July, August, October...
    Note that there are many steps up the ladder as you get into fly-fishing.  An early step is to look for schooling fish like jacks or mackerel where a chum bag and being in the right location will bring a new angler lots of action - and some confidence...

In my area, down south in the fall when there are clouds of baitfish along shorelines.... A live well full of white baits (pilchards mostly...) and a guide that knows how to live chum will put even a beginning fly angler on redfish, snook, and other species.  

My very first foray into the salt with a fellow club member was at Smith Shoal light out of Key West where there were acres of jack crevalle blitzing with blacktip sharks and king mackerel feeding on them in the chaos... In that situation even a beginner couldn’t miss and that was 45 years ago for me...My first step up the ladder...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • BlackfinjerryBlackfinjerry SW FlPosts: 6 Deckhand
    Find a shoal that attracts fish and or bait, know what side or location to be in, less traffic is always better and they will be there eventually.
      You can really narrow it down once you get to know a area and it’s quiet times.
  • troutbomtroutbom Posts: 404 Deckhand
    Sunflower, Bob as usual has a good point re chumming to get newbies on fish. We had my buddies son in law , a first time fly fisherman, crushing mackerel in Pecks Lake chumming with glass minnows and throwing #4 glass minnow flies . On a nice day I think your skiff would be fine. Likewise, Bonito in summer. Wore out 2 guides from out west chumming and throwing glass minnow flies. If you want to tie your own, just tie up a Surf Candy and add Saltwater Flashaboo strip on each side before you epoxy coat. I know, not really a fly but a Clouser is just a jig so...
    Those same guides picked up a spinner in frustration when I poled them to tailing reds. A third out west trout guide got some but I'd add he's an Orvis Certified Casting Instructor.  I have also taught many newbies by having them  catch Oscars and Cichlids on a 5 wt off I75. Plenty of peacocks and bass as well. I have several fairly inexpensive TFO 5 wts as loaners. Who knows, you may enjoy it yourself, particularly when wind is cranking 15-20 and salt a non-starter.

Dear troutbom,

yeah, I have won many enemies by taking a side on the ... "that's a fly  /  no that's a lure" ... debate.
    We all have our vision of what we want to do, feel comfortable with doing, and are willing to do as "REAL" fly fisherman.

I won't bait or scent a fly. (they are OK if smelly from catching fish)
    I don't use flies made out of acrylic, rubber, or anything that's not soft, floppy, and feather-or-string-ish.
    I have no problem with rattles, or foam.
    I don't care at all about using class tippets, or about heavier leader.
    I have no problem with backing down or running down a fish to land it quicker.
    I don't chum, and haven't chummed even when offered a chance to chum and catch a GT in Christmas Island.

Now, would I chum to catch tuna, wahoo, mackerel, and such in Key West in winter ... I would.

No rhyme or reason.
    Mark

• troutbomtroutbom Posts: 404 Deckhand
    We don't need a rhyme or reason to do what we like.My old friend Jack "Bass" Allen would throw nothing but poppers for bass. If they wouldnt look up he could not have cared less. I'm 90% there. He billed himself as the "King of 9" Bass". Although chumming for mackerel or bonitos off Jupiter is not that different in principle then chumming in Key West, although it won't stop your heart like a tuna blowing up on live chum  off Key West. If you leave off the epoxy you can still have a good glass minnow imitation, just less durable. Clousers work as well if you throw them. A gotcha or crazy charlie is essentially a clouser variation so that might work for you if the mood strikes or you take pity on a newbie friend. Have fun and hope you come tight to another permit  soon.