Home Off Topic

Yoga and other systems

GardawgGardawg The Sportfishing Capital Of The WorldPosts: 12,306 AG
edited March 5 in Off Topic #1
I started doing yoga exercises in the 60's.    The poses were basic and to me it was just breathe deeply and chill your mind while you relax and stretch.  Which worked just fine.  A lot of teens need to chill and I sure did.
The focus on a cleaner diet was also very beneficial to my whole attitude. 

Now at 71 my home gym is where I work out. Gave up everything else but fishing and I don't really do a whole lot of that anymore.  But I hope to soon. 

I do a little of everything now.  Ring dips, rope climb, push ups, bench press, weights on cables, dum bells, kettle bells,  wobble cushions,  medicine balls,  speed bag, all kind of floor work with exercise ball.

It's my man cave.  Have a mini fridge. hot plate and a stereo. 

Anyone here have an exercise program they prefer?
"Forgiveness is a strange thing. It can be sometimes easier to forgive our enemies than our friends. It can be hardest of all to forgive people we love." Fred Rogers  

Replies

• poncedoradoponcedorado Posts: 540 Officer
    My gym got a couple Peloton bikes with the full array of classes. I've done a dozen or so of those of the the last couple months and it's a good workout.

Other than that free weights & running a few times a week pretty much does it for me.

Best workout I've been involved in is swimming, which I did in high school and kept up with for a few years after but don't have readily available pool access at the moment.
  • Bimini_TwistedBimini_Twisted TampaPosts: 3,759 Captain
    At 54 I have both a treadmill & and road bike on a Cyclops II trainer that I have set up in an extra bedroom in my basement. Both hooked up with heartrate, speed, and cadence to Apple TV apps. I use an app called Zwift to race others and ride courses virtually all around the world.

I do push-up and light yoga as well, mostly YouTube guided. I also live at the base of a mountain, so, weather permitting I ride up that and get a great workout. That one hour ride to the base, and up two faces and back home is about 1,500 feet of elevation gain. Usually mashing a hard gear.

I also run the hills in the area, though lately that's been hurting my ankle, so I've been taking it easy.

I really miss the gym. Used to go late as it was open 24 hours and lift, swim, and take in a nice long steam while stretching. Shower, and head home. But, alas, not the wisest thing to do in the middle of a respiratory transmitted pandemic.

Good I you for staying fit at 71, I hope I can do the same. 

• Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 28,014 AG
    edited March 5 #4
    I'm 70 and hate cardio.  I lift three days a week at the gym with a trainer and concentrate on legs and balance. I used to do cardio after the lifting but stopped last year.
    Vote for the other candidate
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 2,740 Captain
    I’m gonna start working out next week. 
  • OGFOGF Posts: 1,165 Officer
    I workout 6 days a week.

Weights/Bands 4 days a week and I jog 10 miles a week. 

For weight training, I recently started using bands and I love it. So much easier on the muscles and joints than plates and dumbbells. 

Awesome you are keeping yourself in shape!! I am much younger than you and it is tough at my age.

If I were you... I would fish 4 days a week and workout 3 days... You will get a good bicep workout digging out those Muttons and Groupers. If you land an Amberjack you can take the rest of the week off!!!   :)
  • GardawgGardawg The Sportfishing Capital Of The WorldPosts: 12,306 AG
    edited March 6 #8
    I tried the bands but got a bit shy after a few snapped. I still use them sparingly.  They quickly deteriorate in hot weather. I've rigged up a cable system by using eye hooks in my ceiling and swivel pulleys.  It is great for hitting all planes.  Connected the swivel pulleys to the ceiling eye hooks using carabiners then ran some light anchor line through the wheel and connecting one end to a weight and the other end to a handle.  Eye hooks are also placed half way down the wall and close to the floor. 
    "Forgiveness is a strange thing. It can be sometimes easier to forgive our enemies than our friends. It can be hardest of all to forgive people we love." Fred Rogers  
  • treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 6,466 Admiral
    edited March 6 #9
    Gardawg said:
    I tried the bands but got a bit shy after a few snapped. I still use them sparingly.  They quickly deteriorate in hot weather. I've rigged up a cable system by using eye hooks in my ceiling and swivel pulleys.  It is great for hitting all planes.  Connected the swivel pulleys to the ceiling eye hooks using carabiners then ran some light anchor line through the wheel and connecting one end to a weight and the other end to a handle.  Eye hooks are also placed half way down the wall and close to the floor. 
    Check out trx strap workouts you can by the knockoff systems on amazon very cheap. One of my longtime customers has a trx studio in Atlanta 
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends
    Nice system... low impact!!!

On a side note... Is that picture to the left Mona Lisa smoking a blunt?
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 9,234 Admiral
    Do  you live in a Shipping Container...just askin..?
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 9,674 Admiral
    12oz curls and working around the house is good for me. Actually too much.
     I worked with a guy that once said "would you run a car engine a max rpms or just run it a bit above idle. That is how you should treat your body". Not sure if his theory is accurate but it is as good as any.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

Gardawg said:
    Sweet man cave. Love the mona lisa smoking a blunt lol
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 9,674 Admiral
    Gardawg said:
    Sweet man cave. Love the mona lisa smoking a blunt lol

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

Old engines run a lot better if they are used every day.  And you gotta blow out the carbon every now and then. 

Bodies are different from cars.  Bodies can repair themselves.  It's why my focus is really on physical rehab not body building or power lifting. 

It's only since two herniated discs and the resulting pain that I've become a fitness devotee.  I work hard to stay out of that hospital bed.  It's all the motivation I need. 

Do  you live in a Shipping Container...just askin..?
    I have a condo on the beach ...

• Bimini_TwistedBimini_Twisted TampaPosts: 3,759 Captain
    Great book about training after fifty. The author is a triathlon training legend, and is 76.
     But basically, like Gardawg said, use it or lose it, and you gotta push it hard without injury or overtraining. A risk reward calculation.

Amazoncom Fast After 50 How to Race Strong for the Rest of Your Life  8601419308651 Friel Joe Books
    edited March 6 #18
    I use a lot of these videos to tweak my routine with the focus on preventing injury or training to repair an injury. 

Jeff is my exercise guru. His advice is spot on. It really helped with a shoulder impingement problem I had. 

https://www.youtube.com/c/athleanx/videos

• tagtag Posts: 9,139 Admiral
    I use a combination of resistance bands, dumbbells and body weight - push-ups, squats, planks and hot vigorous sex
    body weight stuff is great to absorb a little exercise into a day. While I'm working from home I set a goal of like 200 push ups or body weight squats and just do 10 or 20 at a time spread throughout the day. It's not that exerting but I gotta think it adds up over time.
  • TheMelManTheMelMan SoWeGAPosts: 761 Officer
    Gardawg said:

It's only since two herniated discs and the resulting pain that I've become a fitness devotee.  I work hard to stay out of that hospital bed.  It's all the motivation I need. 

Don't give up your yoga stretching sessions.  Good for those bad discs that everybody gets eventually and for your balance too.
    GOOGLE:  Helping Totalitarian Governments Control their populations with Surveillance,  Suppression of information, speech and ideas, now bringing Totalitarian ideas to the US.   Thanks but no thanks!
    There are some poses that are really bad for joints and tendons.  I use some common sense about stretching. One does have to stretch. 

I have developed excellent balance.  I stand on a wobble cushion.  While standing on that cushion I can do a flying reverse split squat.  Stand on the cushion with one leg in the air behind your body. Bend down and touch the cushion.  Took a good bit of practice to get there.
    Those wobble cushions work.  
  • NickhoogNickhoog Posts: 1,096 Officer
    I like beer....
    Flying Reverse Split Squat..
    What's the big deal Big Candy does it nightly when she's on stage.
    Tips are good then
  • King_MeKing_Me Delray Beach, FLPosts: 7,004 Admiral
    ****.....I got get my butt in gear.  Didn't realize there was so many healthy members on here!

My problem is I'll get into a good routine then something like a vacation will interrupt it then it takes me months to get back into it.

When I'm on a routine I like to mix it up with doing different stuff that consists of - Going to local gym(machines), home stationary bike, home gym with dumbbells and bench press, bicycle rides.
  • 2amigo2amigo Posts: 6,775 Admiral
    I like to traditionally lift or rather hypertrophic training and do cardio separate with core. Try to do more explosive movements occasionally but at 54 seem to tweak something. 3 months  ago it was my knee. 
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 37,005 AG
    I was going to the gym 2 or 3 times a week until the virus hit. Haven't been since, will start back when I get the vaccine. I do ride my bike 5 to 7 times a week as long as the weather permits.

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

King_Me said:
    ****.....I got get my butt in gear.  Didn't realize there was so many healthy members on here!

My problem is I'll get into a good routine then something like a vacation will interrupt it then it takes me months to get back into it.

When I'm on a routine I like to mix it up with doing different stuff that consists of - Going to local gym(machines), home stationary bike, home gym with dumbbells and bench press, bicycle rides.
    That's why I don't even start...Don't want to be a quitter and it's alot easier to just not start...
    I did buy some new pillows today and had to carry them to the truck so there's that..
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 2,723 Captain
    I did a push up last week.
    King_Me said:

I agree with this... On vacation I try to wake up early and run to justify the endless fried foods and drinks that happen on vacation. At least the jogging offsets a few wings and beers LOL. Injuries are worse as they typically take longer to heal. I have tennis elbow right now and just lifting a dumbbell with that arm is super painful.
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 2,740 Captain
    During this pandemic I was back to walking and doing calisthenics routinely. Saw an improvement in stamina and heart rate. I then stupidly moved from a grassed area I was beating up, to the patio while wearing the wrong type (no support) shoes and did something to the bottom of my feet. I think it’s a bad bruise and it’s still somewhat present in the right foot and has killed my exercise regime.