Skip to main content
Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

st pete asked to give away public access to private interests

Recently two private landowners have requested the city vacate right of way to them.  This would eliminate a public access point to the bay, and eliminate a perpetual pedestrian ingress/eagress easement (e.g. public access corridor).  The perpetual pedestrian access was created in 2005 in exchange for city vacation/assignment of other land to one of the property owners.  This pedestrian access leads from a public right of way to a mix of oyster bars, mars and grassflats and is frequented by fisherman, kayakers and other sportsmen.  If you oppose the precedent of eliminating public access to shared natural resources, and oppose government giving away public land to private interests, please express your concerns via email to:

[email protected]

There is a public meeting of the Development Review Commission scheduled at city hall (st pete) for March 3 at 1:00 pm to discuss this issue.

Feel free to PM me for further details

Replies

• stpetebaitmanstpetebaitman St. PetePosts: 956 Officer
    Can you post on a map where they are trying to do this? You have left it very ambiguous as to the location.
  • shempshemp Posts: 691 Officer
    Pink Streets...blossom way
  • MulletoverMulletover Posts: 19 Deckhand
    The US government is the largest land owner in this country. Normally I would be in favor of any government owned property being sold to a private owner. Unfortunately Pinellas County is so densely populated the more government owned space is probably better for the majority of residents. In fact, I think Pinellas county is the most densely populated county in Florida. If you don't keep public access areas like this open, the only option will be parks like Fort DeSoto where you have to pay a fee (to the government) to access the area.  
  • limitlesslimitless Posts: 707 Officer
    So, this was the original deal: "The perpetual pedestrian access was created in 2005 in exchange for city vacation/assignment of other land to one of the property owners"?  If so how does that owner negate the deal and return what he got for agreeing to the public access??  This is an absolute travesty.  It's time for letters to the editor and the members of the City Council:

Mailing Address:
    PO Box 2842 
    St. Petersburg, FL 33731

The Snook & Gamefish Foundation is now the Angler Action Program: http://angleractionfoundation.com/  Dedicated to Conservation and Education.  Please check us out.

Angler Action Program: IAngler app trip log on your phone

• Navy_Fishing2Navy_Fishing2 St. PetersburgPosts: 6 Deckhand
    Shemp - Just curious your relation to this issue. Are you a local resident to this area?
    Pinellas native, resident of St Pete for over 30 years, and live in easy biking distance from this access point.  

[email protected] is the person to email in addition to the council. The development review commission is the decision making body for the issue and representing city government.  Council would handle appeals of their decision though I assume they are free to discuss issues like this in advance of the hearing.  

Council member figgs-sanders represents this district and is aware of the issue...please contact all involved as you'd like.  

Make sure reference case #20-33000018 in correspondence to [email protected]

I will say the signs I posted photos of are all removed save the 'official' notice posted by the city. The requesting property owner on the west side of the easement complained about improper / illegal signage having been posted on public property and the signs were taken down shortly after being put up...this included a 8.5x11" print-out notifying readers of the change of public hearing date (e.g. to obfuscate public knowledge of the hearing).  

I am very informed of the issue, as I live about 5 houses away. Thought you might be one of my neighbors and I just didn't know it. I have used this access in the past. Hopefully, the decisions to vacate will be denied.

• stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 9,574 Admiral
    I hope it don't pass.  Any time you lose public access it's not right.  You won't ever get it back.
    The applicants who were requesting the vacation of the public right of way have amended their request and are now only asking for a small portion of land on the Eastern portion of the right of way. They are dropping their request to vacate the entire right of way and pedestrian access to the bay. There is still 18 feet of the right of way that the owners are requesting, to cover the improvements they made on city property they claim was done unintentionally. I think the majority of the neighborhood is still opposed to giving away city land to private property owners without any financial compensation from the current owners.