Skip to main content
Home Fly Fishing

Anyone know what happened to Permit Rat?

conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 12,413 AG
He (Rick) used to post in this section a lot but I haven't seen him post in years. Hope he is still with us and fishing in Mexico.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Replies

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,689 Captain
    You and me both... Believe I've seen an occasional post on another forum (microskiff) from him in the last year or so... 

Like you, I hope he's still fishing -on this side of the bar... Can't count the number of great anglers and folks in the fishing business that aren't around anymore...  Must be getting old.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Sixth GenerationSixth Generation Posts: 910 Officer
    I do not know him, but know what you mean.  I have loved to sit and listen to the old timers tell stories my whole life.  I remember hearing what the inventor of the Merkin fly first named it.  Cabela's wouldn't let him use the name in their catalog so he changed it to Merkin and they let him use that name not knowing what it meant...

I also got to hear how the Zara Spook got it's first name Zaragossa and what that meant as well.

We are getting old I suppose, but I do not know when I am supposed to start acting like it!
  • ClamfootClamfoot OviedoPosts: 59 Deckhand

I don't know Rick either but I will search his old posts. 

6th G  -  I'd bet that the old-timers and their stories are the biggest reason the pre-www generation learned to fish. I'm not knocking the "I learned it on YouTube" generation. It's a good tool and I use it as well but I'd much rather hear the story, straight from the man, on his terms. It's much more colorful that way and the same story seems to always get bigger and better with time. 

I fish because my Grandfather and his old buddies taught me how. That was in NYC 50+ years ago. Those guys and their stories of the fall run from Maine to Delaware, Cape Cod and Block Island, The Lagoon, The Keys and The Everglades were legends for me. I heard those stories while we were standing on the beach in Montauk, surf fishing for big Striped Bass under the lighthouse at 2 AM. At 9 years old there was nowhere I'd rather have been. Here I am in FL all of those years later and today those stories still drive me to the ramp before dawn. 

I guess neither I or the Lagoon are what we once were but the stories are still there and some are still being made on rare occasions. 

Now, for those of us that don't know the original name of the Merkin, can you spill the beans?

"The good Lord came to heal liars and sinners, that’s why he started with 4 fishermen".   
    The good Lord came to save liars and sinners, that’s why he started with 4 fishermen
  • tarponhuntertarponhunter Posts: 490 Deckhand
    Totally agree with you guys. As a young angler myself these "old timer" stories are not only incredible but help us to remember how good the fishing used to be. Without these, the shifting baseline will all but destroy our thoughts on what a healthy ecosystem should be. It is somewhat sad hearing the stories of old and comparing to what I have now, but at the same time its what drives me to promote conservation and the importance of a healthy environment. In fact, I'm a master's student pursing my degree in marine science in large part because of my experiences fishing and these stories. It is certainly one of my goals and passions to do what I can to educate people on our what we can be doing better and how we can accomplish it.

On that note, I'd also like to share a podcast, produced by Andy Mills, in which he and his son interview many legendary Florida captains who have pioneered fly fishing and sport fishing in Florida. They even say their drive behind making this is so that these stories aren't lost as, unfortunately, these gentlemen begin to pass :( The podcast is called "The Millhouse podcast" and can be found on apple, Spotify, youtube, and their website https://www.millhousepodcast.com/media

PS I am in no way affiliated with them just love the podcast and think many of you would enjoy as well. :)
    Thanks Tarponhunter. I'll check it out.
    The good Lord came to save liars and sinners, that’s why he started with 4 fishermen
  • Sixth GenerationSixth Generation Posts: 910 Officer
    Me too Tarp.  Will definitely check it out.  I am 52 and last of 6 kids.  My Dad got to go fish The Lump south or Marco Island back in the 50’s.  The stories I heard him tell from ba I those days were great.  Trout fishing with cane poles and a piece of white pork rind as well.  My grandfather took us all every June to redfish pass and we would tent camp on the southeast corner of Captiva.  Right at the corner where there is still a camp site today.  Man the Coons were tame but almost like the mobs we see on TV today...lol.  Back then we fished until the cooler was full and we had to run back to Pine Island to drop off filets and get more ice...  yellow trout tout 4” on an orange jig head was the deadly bait.
  • RennieRaeRennieRae Posts: 795 Officer
    Clamfoot said:

Now, for those of us that don't know the original name of the Merkin, can you spill the beans?

Google the definition of a Merkin and you will get the idea...  ;) 

Bob 

17 ft. Ankona Native with 40 hp Suzuki 4 stroke 
    I know what a Merkin is and I knew what the origin definition of the word Merkin is (don't ask why) but I was wondering what the origional name of the fly pattern was before it was changed to Merkin. What was the name that was so offensive that Cabela's wouldn't use it.

Sixth wrote -  "I remember hearing what the inventor of the Merkin fly first named it.  Cabela's wouldn't let him use the name in their catalog so he changed it to Merkin and they let him use that name not knowing what it meant..."

The shadow box may get a new label???
  • tarpon41tarpon41 Posts: 297 Deckhand
    Go to Mill House podcast the first with Steve Huff and his origin description fishing with Dell Brown
    Thanks Tarp