Home Fly Fishing

Strong arm SBS

CWFliesCWFlies StuartPosts: 131 Deckhand
edited January 27 in Fly Fishing #1
SBS video on tying a strong arm merkin. Pretty much a must have fly for bonefish and permit in the keys right now and I'm sure great on those species on any flat around the world. Finally getting a little better at tying them after a rough start. This one could find a permit for Sunflower.

Replies

• sunflowersunflower osprey, floridaPosts: 655 Officer
    edited January 29 #2

That is a great-looking fly.
    The clothespin-trick is good to know.
    I remember a video from years ago by Puglisi ... I think he was making his peanut-butter. He handles the bundles a little differently. I will look for it.
    Is there a simpler way of making the body using brush?

Mark

grace finds goodness in everything ...

• CWFliesCWFlies StuartPosts: 131 Deckhand
    You could use a ep crustaceous brush for the body then trim it down to shape. I don't like doing that because it takes alot of trimming and i always end up cutting the legs off. 
    Using the clothes pin is super easy. 6 wraps 1 way then  6 wraps the other way to make an X. Very simple.
    I do use EP when making these heads. Its Baitfish hair (Congo hair). Basiclly the same thing as EP but cheaper, longer, and they already come with a tie wrap. 

I don't find much about Pesca fibers on the internet.
    Where do you buy them?
    Mark

Sunflower here a a link to my site for the fibers. https://www.cw-flies.com/new-products/baitfish-hair. Pesca is just a name some vendors use. Its all congo hair but when you become a reseller you have to pick a name other than congo hair to call it. Easiest name is baitfish hair so most go with that. 
    Great thing is i don't even use it to make baitfish patterns anymore. I use yak instead and really only use this for toad/merkin style bodies. 

Love your website!
    There are various EP fiber types. I think the minnow ones are stiffer and less-prone to tangles. I see he has a new "game-changer" fiber that is even stiffer, I haven't tried it.
    Are any of these similar, stiffer?
    Thanks.
    Mark

edited January 30 #7
    I'm looking at your brush mullet fly.
    How long is that? I mostly throw thin, worm-style flies for tarpon.
    they tangle whether made of rabbit, marabou, or EP.
    These are attempts to make classic tarpon patterns ... cockroach, black death, Apte, etc.
    Is yours pretty stiff?
    Can you make it in purple with an orange head?
    Thanks.

Mark

The baitfish hair is very soft. That is in part why i moved away from using it to make Peanut butter style patterns and started using yak hair. Better movement. more durability, sheds waters, and you never need to comb it out. Great stuff but it can be a pain to source good quality yak.
    The brush mullet is about 4" long but can be made alot longer if needed. I can go a little shorter too much not much shorter. 
    If I was going to make a worm i would use rabbit and run some mono through the hide. This prevents most any fouling that will occur. Not 100% foul proof but pretty good. For the head I would use a EP tarantula brush. I think I have a few of those in my box. I'll dig out my tarpon box tonight and get you a picture.  

Huh.
    I wonder how much movement the mono takes out of the rabbit strip ...
    4 inches is perfect. I am going to get a couple of those brush mullet from you.
    I might see if you can make purple with an orangish or marroonish head.
    thanks.
    Is yak really yak?
    Mark

Actually I take that back. I was looking at the brush minnow.
    How long is that? And, no feathers in it?
    thanks
    Mark

The brush minnow is the same size as the mullet. Just no hackle feather and the back brush is a craft fur brush not a chormatic brush. I can make the brush minnow is any color EP makes for the craft fur and minnow head brushes. 

On the rabbit it depends how long you make the tail. The long the tail the less it effects the movement. Usually the month goes about 3/4-1" back on the rabbit so you don't need but a few inches behind that for good movement. 

Yes the yak is real natural yak. The synthetic yak is crap. Natural yak is a pain to source and I have to dye it myself which I don't like to do but I really like that fly so i put up with doing it. Worked great on beach snook and tarpon