Home Off Topic

Hank Aaron RIP

ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 15,437 Moderator

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

Replies

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 10,300 AG
    Rest in Peace Hammer. 

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• dave44dave44 Posts: 14,664 AG
    I was watching when he hit that record breaking home run. 
        He seemed to genuinely be a good guy.
  • OGFOGF Posts: 1,348 Officer
  • RedactionRedaction Posts: 1,776 Captain
    RIP Henry!

I was a huge Hank Arron fan when I was a kid, my mother loved the Braves, we watched them religiously. I was 11 years old when he hit 715...leading up to that amazing day I learned what racism was. I vividly recall the news breaks about him getting death threats. I asked my mother, "why is he getting threats?" my mother replied "because he's black." It broke my heart, I couldn't understand it. I was so bothered by it that I wrote him a letter, telling him I was sorry people were saying those awful things. He sent me a thank-you note and an autographed picture (lost the picture at come point in life). The day he hit 715 our house went nuts!!

When I was in sixth grade I was a patrol boy at a small catholic school here in Jax. Our field trip that year was to go watch an exhibition game at Wolfson Park (minor league field for the Jacksonville Suns) between The Pittsburg Pirates and the Atlanta Braves. I got to see not only Hank Arron, but Willie Stargell play...a day I'll never forget!

RIP...to my idol when I was a kid!

• mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 14,848 AG
    Maybe it is a middle aged thing, but when I here the names of some people who have passed I am more surprised that they were still alive.  This happen with anyone else who is around 50?
    Just dropping grenades in OT
  • GardawgGardawg IslamoradaPosts: 12,669 AG
    "Trying to sneak a fastball past Hank Aaron is like trying to sneak a sunrise past a rooster."

"Forgiveness is a strange thing. It can be sometimes easier to forgive our enemies than our friends. It can be hardest of all to forgive people we love." Fred Rogers  
  • tankeredtankered Gainesvill, FlPosts: 1,085 Officer
    mplspug said:
    Maybe it is a middle aged thing, but when I here the names of some people who have passed I am more surprised that they were still alive.  This happen with anyone else who is around 50?

Yes. I had no idea Tommy Lasorda was still alive (until recently) either.
  • SaltwaterdawgSaltwaterdawg Too far from the gulfPosts: 2,921 Captain
    64 here and under no circumstances would I put Keith Richards on my death list. 
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,379 AG
    one of my idols also even though I would pick Willie Mays against Hank when my buddies and I would argue who was gonna break the record first..

RIP Mr. Aaron, my hat has always been tipped to you.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • MulletMaster239MulletMaster239 Southwest FloridaPosts: 873 Officer
    edited January 23 #12
    RIP Mr. Hank.  A true master of your craft. One of my dad’s favorite players.  But he always said Dave Kingman, Willie Stargell, D i ck Allen, and Mickey Mantle hit the longest, most impressive home runs he ever saw. He also said that despite not being known for hitting home runs and only being an average size guy, Roberto Clemente could hit some truly monstrous tape measure home runs but was taught early in his career to be a line drive hitter due to the huge outfield dimensions at his home ballpark Forbes Field. 
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 14,848 AG
    Larry King has died.  Another person assumed died 10-20 years ago.  
    Just dropping grenades in OT
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,379 AG
    I would have thought that Mr. Aarons passing would have generated more mention.

sad
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 6,842 Admiral
    edited January 24 #15
    Hank was a gentleman. He made everyone feel more important than he was. 

A little known fact Hank and His brother Tommie hold the MLB record for most gone runs by brothers
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 2,950 Captain
    I never new that fact Tree. I liked Hank Aaron and thought he had some of the strongest wrists in the game. He could seemingly reach out flip his wrist and send it out of the park. Willie was my idol, but Hank was on my favorite team. Many a night, dad and I would listen to the Braves on radio before my bedtime. Still a great memory. RIP Mr. Hank Aaron.
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 15,437 Moderator

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 6,842 Admiral
    swampdog said:
    I never new that fact Tree.
    Yes Hank hit 755 and Tommie 13  :D
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 15,437 Moderator
    edited January 26 #19
    If I remember correctly, Tommie hit the first Braves homerun and Hank hit the last Braves homerun in Atlanta Fulton Stadium. (I'd doublecheck that before putting money on it.)

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• ProfessorOProfessorO Posts: 878 Officer

The goal of scientists is to maximize what we know of the real world by using the mathematical world to optimize the information from the observed world.