Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Red tide recovery

So with the roll out of the Covid vaccine it looks like I’ll be able to resume my fishing trips to your great state next year (if not maybe back end of this year) after having to cancel last years trip. In line with that I was just wondering how the fishery is recovering after the real bad red tide in later summer 2018 as I get the impression from reports on here it is starting to pick up again? 

I had great trips fishing the southern pine island sound to Sam Carlos bay area in 2014, 2016 and 2018 (with a couple decent trips in the tampa Bay Area area in between) but my trip in 2019 was a real struggle by comparison. Seeing as it’ll be at least around 3 if not pushing 4 years since the big red tide hit by the time I’m over your way again I was wondering what I could expect to find fishing wise compared to my past trips? 

Replies

• ez3puttez3putt Posts: 32 Deckhand
    I never get south of Cabbage Key, but the Charlotte harbor area has made a pretty good recovery for trout and snook.  Reds not so much, but they were hard for me to find before the red tide.  
  • AnEnglishFishermanAnEnglishFisherman EnglandPosts: 150 Deckhand
    That’s good to hear.

We had booked a place in bokeelia for last year as I’d heard it wasn’t hit as hard in the northern end so probably would go for that way again but maybe south if it’s recovered enough. 

The trout had been well and truly whacked down south, we caught about as many in the whole of the last trip there as we would in one day pre red tide. Believe they are relatively fast growing/good spawners so hoping they’ll have bounced back a bit by the time I’m next over there as they are one of my favourites. 
  • gruntkinggruntking Posts: 839 Officer
    Best fall for trout, redfish and snook in 10 years. 
  • AnEnglishFishermanAnEnglishFisherman EnglandPosts: 150 Deckhand
    That does sound promising indeed! After how bad it crashed I thought it was going to take many years to recover.