Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

FPI 1/12

GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 1,569 Captain
Wife and I headed out early. Smooth ride out but pretty dark with the cloud cover. Headed pretty much due East, water was cold 65.8. Around 100ft the water started to warm up to a little over 70 and there was some current rip. Dropped in a few lines in, trolled north along the line but nothing so headed east. At 120' picked up a bonita. Went out to 260' but no flyers, no weeds, no rips, nothing. The water warmed up to about 75. Headed back in and around 120' 2 lines go off, one is a small dolphin and the 2nd has some weight but can't see what it is. While fighting these two fish 2 more lines go off so we have 4 on with just me and the wife. We ended up landing a small dolphin, a nice king a bonita and the 4th the line snapped. My fault I tried to push the drag to tight and the line snapped. I just picked up the this reel, a Talica 16 2-speed and it have braid on it. I didn't change it out and I paid the penalty. It was supposed to be 65 braid but it snapped with about 15# of drag so I'll pull it off. We ended up finding a bunch of bonita in the 110-130 ft range. We did go back out to 375' and picked up a small BFT.

The day ended great. Trolling in from out deep, around 120' we get a real nice sailfish. 3-4 great jumps and an awesome tail walk.....unfortunately our photography skills suck. We got some pictures but nothing good. I'm going to look into a go-pro.

I spoke to a few guys at the dock when I came in and thye had pretty much the same story. Lots of bonita, a few small dolphin, the odd sail all in the 110-140'

Replies