Home Photography Corner

Orion Nebula

xeniaxenia Posts: 956 Officer
Couldn't make it out to the glades since my daughter was making us calzones, but I didn't want to waste a cool, clear night so I set up in our driveway.  Set the camera piggyback on the scope with the lens at 400mm, F5.6, 135 exposures of 30 seconds each, 640 ISO.  The problem with this object is that the core is so much brighter than the rest, so it always gets overexposed.  There are tricks around this problem, but I haven't figured them out yet. The calzones were excellent BTW!  Going away to college has made her quite the chef.  She can catch kings and sails too.

Replies

• gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 1,662 Captain
    edited January 11 #2
    If an exposure is dark, you can lighten it up to some extent....a few stops worth.  If it's overexposed, it's gone.  You can't darken what isn't there.  A technique I use quite a bit on a picture with a wide range like that is to use the "Lighten or Darken" feature in the Guided section of Photoshop Elements.  (I'm still using an old PSE 7 program for serious editing)

I like to expose the brightest part of the picture somewhat light, but still preserving detail.  Then in Lighten or Darken, brighten the dark areas up and tone the bright area down.  You get a surprising amount of latitude that way.  Shooting many multiple exposures as you do, I'm not sure for your need, but you do for sure need to cut back on the nebula exposure. 

This C.o.o.t (wonder why they censored that word ??) was a twilight shot and the white bill makes them awkward.  In the original, the body is just about a black blob.  It came up quite well with PSE, with beak only slightly overexposed.  Note the pupil in the eye.

Something I've seen done many times is cutting a section out of one picture and pasting it into another with Photoshop or similar, but I've never figured out how to do it.  A friend in MI saw this picture of me cleaning snow off guest's cars in Santa Fe and added the Polar Bear.

One that drives me crazy is very common now in videos, but sometimes in stills, too:  They'll show a panorama of the sky at night, wheeling above some scenery.  Stars bright and sharp against a dark blue sky.  Scenery below nicely exposed.  Wonderful effect and one I'd love to copy....but can't seem to even make a start on it.

I got an enormous surprise on this forum recently when a member asked a technical question re DSLRs.  People came out of the woodwork with very sophisticated replies, indicating high levels of skill and knowledge - far beyond my own.  Some were clearly professionals.  I don't think I've ever seen any of them comment on pictures like yours in the Photography section.  Wonder why ??

There used to be a restaurant in downtown Palm Springs that made wonderful Calzones.  Never have had any even close since, but they sold out and left.