Home General Hunting

Looking to Get Into Hunting but Have no Friends that Hunt (located in Miami) Where do I start?

2»

Replies

• Fly_RodFly_Rod Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    H20dad said:
    Lykes Brothers leases run about 10 K a year...
    And you aren’t certain to get “permission” to shoot a deer. That’s $10,000 for hogs and turkey. Plus you have to supply bait for feeders, etc. 
    H2Odad’s post above is inaccurate, although TRT is correct, give or take a few thousand. 

Sorry for the new user account. I don’t post much and I lost my old one in the platform change and can’t revive it. 
  • AspiringFloridaManAspiringFloridaMan MiamiPosts: 13 Deckhand
    Merry Christmas everyone!
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 4,153 Captain
    edited December 2020 #36
    (Aspiring) Florida Man
    Lucky You!
    South Florida with wonderful unbelievable huge tracts of public hunt lands.
    Yea, “ Difficult To Hunt”.
    It was “ Difficult “ to create the Big Cypress Preserve when the Chamber Of Commerce said there  would be a city, anchored by a Jet Port.
    Skip the Northern Leases, be Glad you Might Be a South Florida Public Lands Hunter.
    Go Small Game to start. Work less on “ Hunting” and more on the Landscape.
    Giant Hint: Get to know local FWCC persons first hand.
    Get out there. Off Season. Go.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • keys windowkeys window Posts: 68 Deckhand
    Aspiring Florida Man, I am in a similar situation you are on in the West Palm beach area.  My son wants to get into hunting and I never had a dad or family member who hunted so I m a rookie. My plan is to hire a guide for a hog hunt and to also do the small game thing on a WMA.  I hope we can get rabbit as they are good to eat but I never had squirrel so not so sure about that. I think all of the other tips are good though I personally would rather ire guides for a while before I drop big bucks on a lease.  My challenge is finding guides in Florida. I have found some for hogs, which will be our 1st hunt. Does anyone on this thread have any recommendations for a hog guide around he Okechoobee area?  Good luck ASM.

Instagator
    For a hog guide not too for from West Palm,  Google Chappy's in Lakeport, or Lightsey's in Venus, 
    Aspiring Florida Man, I am in a similar situation you are on in the West Palm beach area.  My son wants to get into hunting and I never had a dad or family member who hunted so I m a rookie. My plan is to hire a guide for a hog hunt and to also do the small game thing on a WMA.  I hope we can get rabbit as they are good to eat but I never had squirrel so not so sure about that. I think all of the other tips are good though I personally would rather ire guides for a while before I drop big bucks on a lease.  My challenge is finding guides in Florida. I have found some for hogs, which will be our 1st hunt. Does anyone on this thread have any recommendations for a hog guide around he Okechoobee area?  Good luck ASM.

Instagator
    You sound like a great dad!
    If you live in South Florida you do have to pay a lot for the convenience of having a good hunting lease within a couple hour drive. Leases are much cheaper above Ocala, but time is money so I pay. It enables me and my family to use my lease dramatically more than other places where you lose a day driving each way.

Public South Florida hunting was fairly good until about the mid 90's. Since then it has deteriorated rapidly due to excessive water and cougars. Even then, the good public places weren't that great, and you had to spend a lot of time, and invest money on buggies and boats for moderate success. Today it would be sheer luck for a beginner to have success on the wide open public areas by themselves. A couple of the very limited quota areas are ok, but you will be lucky to draw a single weekend hunt every 2-3 years. Public land is generally easier and more accessible further north in Florida, but then you are back to time vs money.

Send me a message with your details and I will try to take you hog and/or snipe hunting on a real good place less than 2 hours from Miami. My deer and turkey tags are already in high demand with my kids, wife, and father. Deer ends for us on January 6th anyways. Hogs on this property are unlimited and year round. I went to law school also, but only worked in lobbying for a bit right after school. My business is glazing contracting and I could always use some collections advice.

Will do! Thanks a lot. That's a very kind offer!
  • Longbow14Longbow14 Posts: 91 Deckhand
    I'll just echo what everybody else has said. 
    Get your hunter certification and grab a hunting license.
    I've heard good things about chappy's.
    check out the Florida BHA on facebook or IG they organize small game hunts for new hunters, I think we have one coming up jan 23 for Dupuis WMA.
    spend some time on the WMA finder and if you spot a place that seems like a good location you can scout all year leading up to deer season.
    I'm in Naples btw.
    Longbow14 said:
    I'll just echo what everybody else has said. 
    Get your hunter certification and grab a hunting license.
    I've heard good things about chappy's.
    check out the Florida BHA on facebook or IG they organize small game hunts for new hunters, I think we have one coming up jan 23 for Dupuis WMA.
    spend some time on the WMA finder and if you spot a place that seems like a good location you can scout all year leading up to deer season.
    I'm in Naples btw.
    That was great advice! I just followed them. I just missed on in South Florida!
  • mobenmoben Posts: 168 Deckhand
    Look up future of hunting in Florida. they have hunts for hunters of all ages ,all year long.
  • Mr_WatsonMr_Watson Ten Thousand IslandsPosts: 119 Deckhand
    Out of Miami Big Cypress is probably your best bet, yes it's hard but it's close. JW corbett could be an option as well but I prefer the drive to Big C. Picayune Strand is an option also

In reference to getting started, hunting is alot like hiking except for the day you actually take your rifle. It's much easier finding a hiking partner than a hunting partner in Miami.  Spend time exploring Big C perhaps leave cameras to start becoming familiar with the terrain and sign. 

I got my first deer there my third season hunting it. 

Best of luck! Swamp&stomp guys on youtube have great information!
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,246 AG
    A F M... You said "small game"...and have a shotgun.... You have some very good small game relatively close to you in duck hunting. Google STA 's (stormwater treatment areas) ... If you buy a pair of waders and have access to a kayak or canoe...you are in business... They are "permit" areas but the afternoon hunts also have a "lottery" to fill unused permits. You are allowed to go 3 people on a permit and you can ask around the check in line to see if any other single or pair of guys want to team up to increase the draw chances. To start you really don't need decoys...get to a point that you see birds trading past and pass shoot them...Heck...there are guys on the net and you tube that put out dz's of decoys...and only pass shoot. Keep your shots inside 40 yards and you will kill some birds. If you do decide to do this....you will need the free "migratory bird" endorsement added to your license....and purchase a Federal duck stamp at the post office or on line. ( $25 ) If you like it...next August you can start aplying for regular permits for the hunts.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • mannyescomannyesco MiamiPosts: 6 Deckhand
    I know I’m pretty late but I would look into jw corbett if you wanna do small game. I live in Miami too and our best bet is corbett if you don’t have a quota. Big cypress has zero to no hogs on it and your basically swimming with the gators all the time. As far as rules go each wma has its own so you have to read the brochure and in there it’ll have a map of the area and where you can and can’t hunt as well as enter the area. Us Miami locals have to travel at least an hour to find some decent hunting. If I were you I’d pick a wma and just focus on it for one to two years and learn everything about it and get a feel for how to hunt down here and find good spots within it. If you ever need any help or have anymore questions pm me and I’ll gladly help!!