Home Ask the Law!

hunting with non-hunters

Longbow14Longbow14 Posts: 91 Deckhand
After we've all stopped laughing I'll give some information for the question. I am planning on hunting some squirrels in small game season and a family member from out of state has asked if he could film it for an amateur documentary he wants to make. he does not need a license to film correct? I tried to get an answer via messenger with the FWC but didn't get anything concrete.

Replies

• gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 1,266 Officer
    Couple of things.  1st, I don't hunt anymore but do hike frequently out in the wilderness and I do carry a 9mm defense pistol that is capable of killing Deer (and larger) sized game.  Some wardens can be real jerks, so to avoid a possible ticket, I emailed DFG HQ and explained my concern.  A couple of days later, I got a very pleasant email back - from a very high level person - telling me that carrying would be fine and doesn't constitute hunting.  I printed it out small and that now lives right between my DL and CCW permit.

I really enjoy some of the game warden shows on TV, esp. the Maine/New Hampshire and Texas ones and have watched many episodes.  From the way the wardens act on those shows, I would say that your friend will be OK, if there is just one gun per hunter, or, maybe, a rifle and a pistol.  If he's armed he's very likely - almost certain - to get a ticket.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,462 Admiral
    MAN , You sure are Overthinking things...
    Do Birdwatchers need a License.? Come spend a day at my place in Taylor County and you'll have an Action Packed Squirrel Hunt. You can start the show with coffee and your Rifle on my front porch..That'll be good for 5 or 10. Then a slow walk down to the Swamp edge..about 20 more. Your choice of Weapon..You got a Belt Fed. or  Bump Stock .just askin...
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 661 Officer
    MAN , You sure are Overthinking things...
    Do Birdwatchers need a License.? Come spend a day at my place in Taylor County and you'll have an Action Packed Squirrel Hunt. You can start the show with coffee and your Rifle on my front porch..That'll be good for 5 or 10. Then a slow walk down to the Swamp edge..about 20 more. Your choice of Weapon..You got a Belt Fed. or  Bump Stock .just askin...
    yea but can he still make the video     i love me some amateur videos.   
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,986 Admiral
    edited February 18 #5
    If he is not hunting then he better not have a gun. He probably will need a WMA permit though technically and those are $26 I think. other than that he should be fine.

Assuming you are in a WMA, if private land then I can't see it being an issue at all unless you have some real AH neighbors.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers