Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Put those Bluefish back...

If you caught more than 3..... New rule starts today ** Starting Oct. 26, the following change will be in effect for bluefish: The recreational daily bag limit will be three fish per person along the Atlantic coast from Nassau through Miami-Dade counties. ** It seems that they are over-fished..... they think...
There are many roads to travel
Many things to do.
Knots to be unraveled
'fore the darkness falls on you

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 15,118 AG
    you can still keep bermuda chubs right?  Gotta have something to stink up the compost heap
    Yesterday's memories are not today's reality
  • MissedMissed O-townPosts: 470 Deckhand
    Thanks, Joe - reminding us that our regulations change about every 3 months.  Over-fishing bluefish...
  • L8RBRAL8RBRA Posts: 792 Officer
    This is comical. 
  • Net 30Net 30 Posts: 1,050 Officer
    edited October 2020 #5
    After growing up on the Jersey Shore and catching thousands of pounds of Blues, you couldn't pay me enough to keep any more of those yellow eyed monsters.
  • poncedoradoponcedorado Posts: 482 Deckhand
    https://myfwc.com/news/all-news/bluefish-comm-720/https://myfwc.com/news/all-news/bluefish-comm-720/

"Bluefish from Maine through the Atlantic coast of Florida make up a single population. A 2019 federal stock assessment found that this Atlantic population of bluefish is overfished."

Who tf is overfishing these things? maybe there's a commercial market for fertilizer and cat food? Its not like you ever see it in a grocery store or restaurant
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,705 Captain
    If they serif they are overfished, and I seriously doubt it, then you can bet it’s because of commercial fishing. However, I don’t even believe that in this case. 
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,246 AG
    **** did not like Bluefish...
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • Kayak_PeteKayak_Pete Posts: 114 Deckhand
    Guide in Sarasota once told me how to fix bluefish.
    Put it on ice immediately.  As soon as you get home, sharpen your filet knife, cut out filets.  Put them on a paper towel. Heat up a cast iron skillet with oil and a pat of butter, get it very hot. Dredge your filets in egg, flour with Paula Deen seasoning, egg again, flour again.  Gently place them in the hot skillet, fry for exactly 85 seconds each side. Gently remove filets with a wooden spatula and place on paper towels to drain.  Pat away the excess oil. Wrap them in foil to keep hot.  Walk them next door to your neighbor and tell them him they're pompano.
    2014 Hobie Sport
  • Net 30Net 30 Posts: 1,050 Officer
    Or.....take a cedar plank, soak till wet.  Place bluefish filets on plank, coat filets with mayo, old bay spice, garlic, salt & pepper.  Place plank with filets on covered grill and cook for 20 minutes on medium heat.

After 20 minutes, throw filets in garbage and eat cedar plank.

I hear a lot of that...but in reality.... It is all about how the fish makes it from hook to table that dictates what the product is. Bluefish is a super oily fish. If you are specificly targeting them for a fish fry....do this. Get a cooler load of chipped ice or small cubes....add in a small abount of seawater and a big shot of kosher salt...like you were making ice cream. This "slurry" is what will make the big difference as it gets super cold. As you catch the fish...as soon as they are dead...Head & gut them and shove them in the slurry. when you arrive home...they will not be the mushy junk most people have but will be hard enough to drive 10 penny nails. Remove blood line when you filet and fry them up. Do not take more than a dinners worth as being an oiley fish they will not freeze well.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Oh...and better take a crew...You're only allowed 3...and that's not much of a fish fry. LOL
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • needtohuntmoreneedtohuntmore MelbournePosts: 498 Deckhand
    edited October 2020 #13
    I know some people who might be or might no be us citizens that keep them by the truck load.  They even keep all the jacks, even the really big ones....

The FWC is going to be busy with all these new people fishing for sustenance.  They keep everything they catch, literally everything.  Hard head catfish, palometra, toad fish, it all goes home...

They get the free beach fishing license and just tear it up.
  • plantmanrodeoplantmanrodeo Riverwalk NurseryPosts: 80 Deckhand
    duckmanJR said:
    I hear a lot of that...but in reality.... It is all about how the fish makes it from hook to table that dictates what the product is. Bluefish is a super oily fish. If you are specificly targeting them for a fish fry....do this. Get a cooler load of chipped ice or small cubes....add in a small abount of seawater and a big shot of kosher salt...like you were making ice cream. This "slurry" is what will make the big difference as it gets super cold. As you catch the fish...as soon as they are dead...Head & gut them and shove them in the slurry. when you arrive home...they will not be the mushy junk most people have but will be hard enough to drive 10 penny nails. Remove blood line when you filet and fry them up. Do not take more than a dinners worth as being an oiley fish they will not freeze well.
    I've always slit the throats of any fish going in the cooler before they went in the cooler so they could bleed out. Makes a huge difference for any and all species.

That being said, for most of my life, anything legal I wouldn't eat went home to be cleaned and boiled for my dogs. 

My dogs would eat a bluefish, but gave me the evil eye first. Even they knew it was borderline rancid.
  • bcnucsbcnucs Ponce Inlet, FlPosts: 127 Deckhand
    just crazy...  in Florida they are thick in the winter.  But honestly they are very small.  Like 12 inches but there are miles and miles of them.  I don' keep them but do use them for bait.  
  • Goof TroopGoof Troop Posts: 20 Deckhand
    edited November 2020 #16

Some are Bigger here.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 9,551 Admiral
    In the winter time I agree there’s mostly small blue fish along the beaches but in the spring there are large schools generally a ways off shore with quite big ones..

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

Every spring we get migrating schools of large bluefish in and around Sebastian inlet.... Just the other day I had a 5 lb plus Bluefish....while fishing a large trout spot....as I brought that yellow eyed devil in...it jumped and threw off the large finger mullet...in time for one of the two 6 lb range trout that followed it in...to eat that ratted out mullet. LOL
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • diverdandiverdan jacksonville flPosts: 27 Deckhand
    smoke em if you got em!
  • MissedMissed O-townPosts: 470 Deckhand
    We used to catch a lot of blue up north - some years it was the only game in town.  They fight good, fun to catch on topwater lures. 

Used to show folks why to keep hands away from mouth with a towel - slap fish with towel - he bites it, slam fish on side of boat using towel and he hangs on.  "nuff said.

They eat okay - gray meat, oil is good for you - I'll keep a couple and eat em in the course of the week - freezing isn't too bad but fresh is better, less mushy.  Blacken em, bake em, fry em.
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,645 Captain
    What's next...a limit on Lady Fish? gag, choke!
  • needtohuntmoreneedtohuntmore MelbournePosts: 498 Deckhand
    edited November 2020 #22
    This big collapse in fish stocks is going to come when the bait is gone. Millions of tons of baitfish are harvested unregulated every year.  It’s going to be a bottom-up issue for the final die off, however, main game fish need to be protected in parallel.  The only fish on the increase are sailfish and snook...go figure
    Snook increase is easy top know why...The prefered habitat for the sub adult is mangrove edges...which have not died off as the seagrass has. They are not dependant on seagrass beds as Trout...and to a lesser degree Redfish are. Also, there is a large population of " Beach / inlet " fish...that remain there moving up and down the beach...which has not suffered from the degradation of the IRL (as much )
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,234 AG
    This big collapse in fish stocks is going to come when the bait is gone. Millions of tons of baitfish are harvested unregulated every year.  It’s going to be a bottom-up issue for the final die off, however, main game fish need to be protected in parallel.  The only fish on the increase are sailfish and snook...go figure
    links? back you shizz up if you can...

Tell Ma to up your mac and cheese for Google strength
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • TerribleTedTerribleTed Posts: 295 Deckhand
    Well I have eaten blue fish fried in bacon grease for breakfast with egg backed beans and canned brown bread.  Don't remember how they tasted.( long ago) Jacks I will eat small ones. large ones? I know people who will say there the best fish, no idea how the prepare them. Every one is different some actually like fish taste, like there no fish better than king mackerel sliced thick seasoned and slow cooked on the grill. Yea I would trade a dolphin for a fresh king but there to easy to catch. Its just like wild hog if you know how to prep and cook no body can tell the difference between wild and domestic when I serve it. The thing is learn how they prep and cook it. Really look at how many eat tilapia That's the worst trash fish ever.