Home Boating

tohatsu won't go into neutral

noelg11892noelg11892 Posts: 305 Deckhand
Hey guys, so i was having an issue with the boat i would start run fine and no issues, i went to slow down and the boat wouldn't go into neutral. When i forced it into neutral it revved high and eventually came down. It doesnt do it every time, some times when i bring it down to neutral the rpms are lower and it goes right into neutral.

I took it to the shop they told me i had a stiff linkage for throttle they adjusted and found gas in the fuel and said that is why i was spiking. 
This seemed wierd cuz why would it rev high if there was no fuel entering, and they said the water didnt get into the engine yet. 
Also if the throttle was tight it would've been for the last 200 hours so i don't know why that would cause my current issue.

Just to be safe i drained the tank, added HEET and changed the fuel water seperator but havnt been able to test it yet. 

Does their analysis sound right or can you guys think of something else? its a 40 4 stroke tohatsu with 200 hours on it. 

Replies

• livebait1livebait1 west JaxPosts: 151 Deckhand
    I would check control box for something loose if it doesn't do it every time. Also if you had water in fuel the motor wouldn't run worth a darn at top end.
  • noelg11892noelg11892 Posts: 305 Deckhand
    Thats strange, I know for a fact I had water in it but ran the same as always. I’ll double check the control box 
  • SwatSwat Posts: 21 Deckhand
    You might also want to check out the shift and throttle linkage under the cowling.

Long story short: about 7 years ago I was on plane headed for a no-wake zone after about a 45 minute run at around 4500 rpm, backed the throttle down but it would't cooperate. I'm stuck in F at around 1600-1800 rpm headed into the marina basin, could not slow down and N was out of the question. Hit the ignition key and shut the engine off in gear, paddled my 22' ProLine WA the rest of the way to the dock (slow paddle!). 

Turns out one of the screws on the throttle linkage under the cowling had backed out and prevented the arm from moving toward N. The locktite on that screw had failed, and vibration from the engine backed it out far enough to cause a major problem.

• permit_mepermit_me Posts: 1,183 Officer
    Not sure if the Tohatsu has a second neutral switch (on engine), but my old Yamaha 90 did, which i was unaware of. One time got boat back from shop, took her out, stopped on way out for bait and would not start back up. The arm on that second switch had been broken off while in shop. Buddy held it manually ea time we had to start engine that day. and boat would stall out when idle. always discover things the hard way...
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,517 Captain
    Since I'm a commercial operator (no running boat - no money...)... whenever I get my boat back from the shop for some kind of motor trouble - the first thing I do is take it to the nearest ramp and run it for at least 30 minutes or more.  In and out of gear, forward and reverse, up on plane, throttling down after a five minute run at cruising speed.  I'm trying to make it fail if it's going to so that I can get back the shop before the next booking... No fun at all with customers aboard and a motor that just isn't right..... Just one more of those "ask me how I know" moments for this guy.

"Aren't boats fun?"
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666