Home Fly Fishing

Best time for offshore or wreck/reef fly fishing trip to the Keys?

Randy RichterRandy Richter Posts: 58 Deckhand
Targets would be AJ's, grouper, permit, big cudas.  And yeah, I know waht I'm in for, and have the equipment for it, I'll be bringing a 12, 15, and 18 weight.  Would love to fish some wrecks with a full sink line, and also see if we could get some AJ's chummed up near the surface to catch on topwaters.  I also have a soft spot for wrestling big sharks on fly gear.  What time of year would you guys suggest?  Thinking May/June?

Replies

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,337 Captain
    edited October 2020 #2
    Key West in winter... It will be all you can stand.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • DrCokeDrCoke Posts: 177 Deckhand
    Caught an AJ with a fly rod once, I’ll never do it again.
  • TampaCTTampaCT Posts: 66 Deckhand
    So I had some guys who were staying at the same lodge in Patagonia with us talking about the great fun they had doing this off Dry Tortuga... Is there a Key West guide who specializes in chumming them up off a wreck and going at them with a fly rod?  The pandemic and working from home has me about to go crazy... need an adventure to escape.  My friend kept talking about the wild variety of... well, everything that they caught... 
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,337 Captain
    Post your question on the Keys board for best response... but if I remember correctly there’s always been a solid winter fishery out of Key West that does exactly what you’re asking about...
    More than a few world records on fly gear were set during winter chumming wrecks years ago...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • liv2floatliv2float Fort piercePosts: 3 Greenhorn
    Never did it in the keys but I’ve been off ft Myers a few times for amberjacks on pipers and it was a ball. We quit before they did every time.Winter as I remember.