Skip to main content
Home Conservation Forums

Question on Deer Limits for Youth Hunters

I am still new to Hunting in Florida. I am taking my kids out this week and I want to make sure that I understand the limits for them if they are lucky enough to see something. From what I read the youth limit for Deer for the season is 1 buck with one antler at least 5 inches. So no antlerless deer for a youth hunter?

I appreciate the replies. Growing up with the rules and regs here is probably a lot easier to digest than from someone coming from another state. 

Replies

• 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 2,937 Captain
    edited November 2020 #2
    Limit is 3 bucks and 2 does(antlerless).
    For Youth 15 and under 1 buck can fall short of the requirements of your particular DMU as long as it has 1 side >5".
    During antlerless days, 1 per day can be <5" that count towards the season limit of 2.
    I do not keep up with the specifics of south Fl. or the panhandle, so take it for what its worth.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • screamondemonscreamondemon Posts: 14 Deckhand
    Thank you for the reply 

• screamondemonscreamondemon Posts: 14 Deckhand
    Another vaguely worded area is a youth hunter on quota permit. Is a youth considered a guest? Meaning; can I take more than one youth hunter with me at once? It says one guest but youth hunters are exempt from the guest pass so I am confused. 

Hopefully someone from FWC will see this. Then scramble around to come up with a correct answer.(or their best guess anyway). 
    Welcome to hunting in FLA!

Best of luck to you and the kiddos! Good on you for getting them out and at least trying to understand the unlimited mumbojumbo.
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,938 Captain
    4WARD said:
    For Youth 15 and under 1 buck can fall short of the requirements of your particular DMU as long as it has 1 side >5".
    During antlerless days, 1 per day can be <5" that count towards the season limit of 2.
    I do not keep up with the specifics of south Fl. or the panhandle, so take it for what its worth.
    I was under the impression you were allowed 5 bucks or 3 bucks and 2 antlerless.  This assumption was based on the FWC printable harvest log. It has spaces for 5 bucks on the top and 2 antlerless on the bottom. Or am I misinterpreting it?
    drgibby said:
    4WARD said:
    I was under the impression you were allowed 5 bucks or 3 bucks and 2 antlerless.  This assumption was based on the FWC printable harvest log. It has spaces for 5 bucks on the top and 2 antlerless on the bottom. Or am I misinterpreting it?
    You are correct. 5 bucks or 4+1 or 3+2
    I didn't word that very well.