Home Fly Fishing

Popperheads

CWFliesCWFlies StuartPosts: 125 Deckhand
Got myself an airbrush to start playing around with popperheads. Its a learning curve but I think each one is looking better and better. Really have to be light with the trigger finger. Also been using these scale tape on the tops of the poppers. They add a little flare to the fly. Not going to help in how the fly fishes but we do all like to show off our boxes sometimes. I will be getting some holographic glitter foil in for the bellies at some point. That might affect how it fishes. I put a few of these to the test in the local pond and they did very well on the bass. Not to bump it up and see if the snook like it. I'll do a video on the whole fly and some point. Just trying to nail down the heads to make them look as good as I can. 

PS: Yes I did but the scales on backward in the last photo. Turns out when you have a few beers while tying you sometimes make mistakes. haha

Replies

• gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 1,834 Captain
    I don't have the patience for that or for flinging flies, (I've tried it) but I can appreciate the thought and effort that goes into it.

I wonder if that scale material is a thermoplastic - a very careful brushing with a heat gun might take out some of those wrinkles around the edges.
  • CWFliesCWFlies StuartPosts: 125 Deckhand
    I don't think its made to be heated up but I found it won't stick to the foam unless I use a lighters. Its really made to stick onto I didn't use my heat gun as the foam melt very easy. Been working on getting the wrinkles out and each time I have less and less. Just really have to stretch it after hitting it with the lighter but no too much or else the sheet burns or the foam melts. 

Over if done well its hard to notice that it is a sheet on there once you glue the body.
  • gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 1,834 Captain
    CWFlies said:
    I don't think its made to be heated up but I found it won't stick to the foam unless I use a lighters. Its really made to stick onto I didn't use my heat gun as the foam melt very easy. Been working on getting the wrinkles out and each time I have less and less. Just really have to stretch it after hitting it with the lighter but no too much or else the sheet burns or the foam melts. 

Over if done well its hard to notice that it is a sheet on there once you glue the body.
    Catch-22, eh ??  Oh well, it were a thought.  
  • sunflowersunflower osprey, floridaPosts: 635 Officer
    Thanks for the post.
    I love it.
    You're about the only one who still puts posts up!

I have to catch something so I have something to post!

Mark

grace finds goodness in everything ...

sunflower said:
    Thanks for the post.
    I love it.
    You're about the only one who still puts posts up!

I have to catch something so I have something to post!

Ya this forum is pretty much dead. I post alot more on Microskiff and a few other fly fishing forums. Forums just arent as good now that we have instagram. 
  • JWTJWT Posts: 771 Officer
    nice looking poppers........ are you making the heads or are they a commercial brand?
    JWT said:
    nice looking poppers........ are you making the heads or are they a commercial brand?
    The head are double barrel heads. You can get them at any fly shop. I do the coloring, and add the scales, eyes, and finish myself.