Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast Fishing Reports

Offshore-ish 11/15

cftsmokecftsmoke JacksonvillePosts: 350 Deckhand
edited November 2020 in Northeast Fishing Reports #1
I've been shore-bound for 7 weeks and have been jonesing bad to get offshore despite managing to launch the kayak a couple of times for flounder and reds.  Since yesterday was a non-starter due to family obligations, today was going to be a day - regardless of the sketchy NOAA and Windy forecast of a NE/E 3-4' swell @ 7sec.

I left Mayport at 0715 to beautiful weather however, thanks to the forecast swell, the ride east was slow. Although I was solo, I wanted to go long but the short swell period made that a non-starter. I ran (slowly) to MG and some numbers near there.  After seeing decent returns on the bottom machine and finding a 2 degree temp jump, I decided to drop down and see what was what.  All I had was frozen cut bait but the ARS didn't seem to be in the picky mood - neither were the sharks.  I kept the rod bent for about 2 hours on ARS and a couple undersized gags but lost more than few to the tax man. 

The run in was faster and didn't feature any of the wonderful elevator drops I got while heading out.  Thanks to those drops I am now self prescribing a cocktail or 2 to sooth the mangled lower back - but it was worth it to see the blue and run the boat.  It was great to be back on the water.  Tight lines gents, I'm looking forward to BFT and Wahoo to heat up.

2005 Everglades 290 Pilot.  Twin 250 Verados.

Replies