Home General Fishing

TBT - Fishing Shows then and now

xeniaxenia Posts: 1,013 Officer
Is it just me, or have fishing shows changed dramatically since I was a kid.  I remember fishing shows were not as common as they are now, but there were more enjoyable to me than what I see today.  A typical 30-minute show or hour show back in the 70s or 80s was a show about fishing, simple.  You saw where they were fishing, usually some exotic place in the world with great fishing like Australia or St. Thomas, etc, they explained what they were fishing for, and spent most of the time showing fishing.  There were fewer commercials, and those were the same commercials you got during any other show.  Most importantly, they were usually targeting big gamefish like marlin or tuna.  Here are a couple of pics from my TV from shows I managed to record in the 80s on VHS.

2 Thousand lb marlin off the Great Barrier Reef on the same day.  On this show they interviewed an angler that caught 3 thousand pounders on the same day.

Backing down on a big black.

600 pounder jumping.

Huge yellowfin on long range party boat.

Today's fishing shows look more like an infomercial than a real fishing show.  A typical 30-minute show today goes something like this:

-15 minutes of commercials selling overpriced, unnecessary boats, tackle, and accessories.
-10 minutes of the guys in the show promoting the equipment they are using, or telling us what awesome fishermen they are
-5 minutes of actual fishing where they catch 2 muttons and a cero

I haven't seen a show fishing for marlin in many, many years.

Replies

• Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 1,067 Officer
    Don't forget the all important fuel additives.  Can't run a boat without a little bottle of "outboard Red Bull".  Protects from gremlins, and makes the ladies swoon.
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 12,157 AG
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • DrCokeDrCoke Posts: 177 Deckhand
    Fishing is so poor compare to back in the days. Now if we fish entire 6hrs for “mutton theme” than the show might produce 2 slot and a few undersize. With the cost of equipment/boat/insurance/ big **** mortgage you can’t make money showing people how to fish mutton by catching mutton. You gotta make money with sponsor while catching the target theme.
    watched a few captain Mike YouTube out of fort lauderdale lately, pick any them, in this case High/Lo rig. Wonderful how he shows you step by step to make your own, bait used, dept target. The entire show produced a whomping porgy. It was a big porgy but that’s the catch of the day with very few other catch on the show.
    that show has the pay captain mike, his side kick Carlos, camera crew, that wonderful 39 Seavee, and a waterfront house. If mike can’t produce constant action to show you how it’s done, he’s gotta show you how it’s done on paper.
  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,240 Officer
    TV fishing shows = Infomercial. Used to love fishing shows. I would record them on a VCR while I was out fishing on the weekends. Do not watch them now.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • plantmanrodeoplantmanrodeo Riverwalk NurseryPosts: 80 Deckhand
    DrCoke said:
    Fishing is so poor compare to back in the days. Now if we fish entire 6hrs for “mutton theme” than the show might produce 2 slot and a few undersize. With the cost of equipment/boat/insurance/ big **** mortgage you can’t make money showing people how to fish mutton by catching mutton. You gotta make money with sponsor while catching the target theme.
    watched a few captain Mike YouTube out of fort lauderdale lately, pick any them, in this case High/Lo rig. Wonderful how he shows you step by step to make your own, bait used, dept target. The entire show produced a whomping porgy. It was a big porgy but that’s the catch of the day with very few other catch on the show.
    that show has the pay captain mike, his side kick Carlos, camera crew, that wonderful 39 Seavee, and a waterfront house. If mike can’t produce constant action to show you how it’s done, he’s gotta show you how it’s done on paper.
    I believe the original poster was talking about big gamefish in other locales. I can tell you with 100% certainty, the marlin fishing/billfishing where I fish, and every other species I fish for, is ridiculous, and as good as ever. 

There are plenty of fishing shows today whose primary business model consists of selling advertising. That's virtually every show on television, btw. Personally, I don't watch fishing on youtube, so I don't know much about that. But what I do know about youtube, is making money requires a sizeable audience which requires watchable and likeable content. 

And yes, catching decent muttons in some places in Florida is harder than it used to be. 
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,253 AG
    Shows today are 22 minutes long...with 8 minutes of network ads. The content is pure infomercial and unwatchable.....throw in some rediculous catch phrase like " mogan"...and all I can think of...and you youngsters will have no idea what I am talking about...Is the start of "Second city TV " ...with John Candy and Eugene Levy et al....when the TV sets went flying out the windows of a high rise apartment complex...LOL
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • kayakerinkeywestkayakerinkeywest Posts: 631 Officer
    Syndicated Tv shows are incredibly expensive to make.  The behind the scenes costs are massive.  I don't think most people understand how many paid people are involved in "going fishing" on a tv show.  Plus, when you are talking about exotic destinations like the original poster, multiply those personnel costs.  Then all the production work after all of the filming.  Then, all of the costs of selling the show.  All for a half an hour fishing trip.  Add in current social media and a lot of the advertising dollars are going to Facebook, Instagram, Youtube, etc where you get the same customer penetration at a lot less cost.  There are very few companies willing to spend the dough and will require longer segments for their products.  However, I would think about the only worthwhile shows that can stick out would be like the old day versions where they go to very exotic destinations targeting species that the average guy and Youtuber can't catch or afford to do.  But then again, a lot of fisherman are more interested in targeted fishing that deal with what they can encounter on their own fishing trips.  

Youtube - KEY WEST KAYAK FISHING https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkGY6yxE8kogYHKXisMhA2w
    All About The Bait Store - http://www.allaboutthebait.com/
  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,240 Officer
    edited November 2020 #9
    The advertisers that want longer segments are losing the viewers, so what good are those longer segments?
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • kayakerinkeywestkayakerinkeywest Posts: 631 Officer
    Advertisers don't care about the masses.  They are fishing for that one person who is willing to drop a half million dollars on a Yellowfin boat.  Or maybe the 2% of viewers that have a boat and are just about to do engine maintenance and are undecided about what oil to use.  Viewers think the show is made for them or that they actually have value.  On youtube, your view is worth 1/10 of 1 cent per view but yet people are offended that it is not exactly how they want the video to be made and think things should be changed because of them.  For tv shows your views are worth even less.  What the value is that shows have a targeted demographic that they can sell to advertisers who can sell to companies who sell products.  

Just like tackle shops, professional tv fishing shows will soon be gone because the masses will gravitate to lower cost alternatives like Amazon or Youtube to get their products or shows.  If people don't realize that and support them that is.
    Youtube - KEY WEST KAYAK FISHING https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkGY6yxE8kogYHKXisMhA2w
    All About The Bait Store - http://www.allaboutthebait.com/
    All things have their heyday....but they also all " time out "..... the "fishing show" as it were...is just one of many.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    All things have their heyday....but they also all " time out "..... the "fishing show" as it were...is just one of many.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • Quad32xQuad32x Sparr , FloridaPosts: 403 Deckhand
    One of my all time favorites !

• xeniaxenia Posts: 1,013 Officer
    Anyone remember "The American Sportsman"?  I sure do.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 10,356 AG
    There was another guy Tred Barta that had hunting and fishing shows. He wasn't afraid to show blood and guts. I think he died in a car accident but was wheelchair bound before that from something, I don't remember what. Even though he was a Yankee he was OK in my book.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• Quad32xQuad32x Sparr , FloridaPosts: 403 Deckhand
    Jimmy Houston , Bill Dance , Hank Parker , Roland Martin ..... watched all those guys as a kid ! Get a fishing woody and jump on my bike and head to the Ocklawaha river with my mullet rifle and some worms and tear up some brim.
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 877 Officer
    Lots of the "fishing" shows today are created by trust fund kids and adults. Back in time, you actually needed a successful past in the sport before anyone could think about producing a show. Those folks are getting old and we will greatly miss them as well as how we miss the angling legends that have left us. Now all it takes is $ wether you earned it or it comes from a trust fund you had nothing to do with earning or no knowledge of how to earn.
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 1,004 Officer
    Gadabout Gaddis. I think he was one of the 1st. His show was black and white when it started.
  • rock_fishrock_fish Posts: 12,108 AG
    Sosin, Spanish fly, and left coast fishing were my jam back in the day
    Proud supporter of the anti fishing, terroristic (lol what?) movement known as Greenpeace.
    xenia said:
    Yes...I do. And I was able to develop a relationship with the shows producer ( many many years later) Francis Carter Wood was a great gentleman....
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    There was another guy Tred Barta that had hunting and fishing shows. He wasn't afraid to show blood and guts. I think he died in a car accident but was wheelchair bound before that from something, I don't remember what. Even though he was a Yankee he was OK in my book.
    He had a spinal stroke....pretty rare. He was great... I loved how he would say " I did it the hard way...the Barta way "
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Quad32x said:
    Jimmy Houston , Bill Dance , Hank Parker , Roland Martin ..... watched all those guys as a kid ! Get a fishing woody and jump on my bike and head to the Ocklawaha river with my mullet rifle and some worms and tear up some brim.
    You forgot Orlando Wilson and Jerry McKinnes...Can't leave them out
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • cortrcortr Posts: 423 Deckhand
    Don’t forget Theopile Bourgeois of Louisiana. Although more well known in Louisiana, he was featured on many national shows including Bill Dance and Roland Martin in addition to regional shows.  Unfortunately, he died in a floatplane accident doing what he loved the most, taking people fishing to the Chandelier Islands. 
  • MangroveMarkMangroveMark Oak HillPosts: 450 Deckhand
    xenia said:
    I watched that every weekend. It covered it all worldwide, both hunting and fishing. When I mated back in the 70's, I'd coach customers to pull back and wind down like Curt Gowdy. B)
  • bcnucsbcnucs Ponce Inlet, FlPosts: 129 Deckhand
    yeah I used to watch all of them shows every saturday morning.  It was awesome!  Now I just watch Youtube and get all I want anytime I want.  Great memories of Spanish Fly Jose doing some epic fishing in the keys always was a favorite of mine. 
  • MangroveMarkMangroveMark Oak HillPosts: 450 Deckhand
    I loved the one where Jose was HST in the Bahamas, catching big wahoos, hugging them (dangerously), then releasing them.
  • jt904jt904 Central FloridaPosts: 116 Deckhand
    its called youtube
    176 Key West Stealth 
  • MulletMaster239MulletMaster239 Southwest FloridaPosts: 873 Officer
    Used to like to watch Jimmy Houston reruns when I was little. He was very knowledgeable about his sport and had a fun personality.  I like the mad snooker’s Youtube videos, you can see how passionate he is trying to help his clients from being cut off by the bigger snook. ‘Dive and reel, DIVE AND REEL!!!  You’re screwed he’s going to wrap you up get him out of there!!’ Great stuff.
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 14,874 AG
    Roland Martin was the man that got me into fishing.  I need to make a pilgrimage to his resort for a long weekend one of these days.

Just dropping grenades in OT
  • GotseaGotsea Posts: 838 Officer
    All shows have gone to informercials, don' forget Ship Shape TV, use to be a great show with lots of information on rebuilds, repairs constructions, now is just  John Greviskis  telling you how to use the product they are promoting   
  • sherrijacksonsherrijackson Albany, NYPosts: 1 Greenhorn
    Today's fishing shows look more like an infomercial than a real fishing show.  A typical 30-minute show today goes something like this:

-15 minutes of commercials selling overpriced, unnecessary boats, tackle, and accessories.
    -10 minutes of the guys in the show promoting the equipment they are using, or telling us what awesome fishermen they are
    -5 minutes of actual fishing where they catch 2 muttons and a cero

I haven't seen a show fishing for marlin in many, many years.
    I have the same opinion but I think it can be explained by the low rates of such shows. This subject is not popular enough to make a lot of people watching and numbers are crucial for those guys. That's why to recoup the shooting cost they put a lot of commercials selling. Plus TV show production became more commercialized in general.