Skip to main content
Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Last Saturday trip

After getting to Keaton and gassing up boat at Walter Bs   Unloaded clothes coolers at campsite.   Got on boat. Smelled strong gas smell. Oh Lord. All tank and hoses replaced about 10 years ago. Gas sitting in front bilge.  Jacked boat as high as it would go.  Flushed with water.    Pulled side panel on gunnel.  Tank cover was pulled.  What a pain.  Pulled fill and vent hoses.  Some cracking but none through. Only thing found was fill connecter and hose came off really easily.  Thick rubber had shrunk over the years and allowed gas to overflow and drain to bilge outside off the hose. Please tighten all your clamp periodically.   I have seen this on 2 of my buddies boats. Took from 1-8 to get this done.  Head out of boat ramp next morning. 2 hrs before low tide. Wind was blowing nicely about 15 plus mph from the north.  Decided to hit a spot close. 11 miles past Marker 1. We were riding across back of the waves. 2 ft or so with a period of 2 seconds not to bad.  Stopped about 5 miles out and turned around. Holy cow. Water coming over windshield in my Cuddy cabin. Decided to go back in.  Making about 2 mph.    By the time we got back to channel and Marker 1 we were at dead low negative tide.    My boat is old and heavy with a deep V and outdrive. We churned up mud and sand grass and a few pinfish while working our way back in.  Got up on plane 1 time headed  back in and there was a kayak parked right in middle of channel.  Good grief.  Off plane now and churning up mud again stuck solid a few times.  ‘‘This process took about 2 hrs from Marker 1 till we got boat on trailer     Almost on trailer I should say. Boat was back about 5 inches from stop.  Can’t back trailer in but so deep and you drop off ramp.  Did not go the next day.  Dunked trailer and pulled boat up to stop at high tide very easy. Now all I have to do is replace all gas tank hoses. New impeller on outdrive   New again trailer lights and wiring  2 new tires on trailer. My buddy is going out this morning.  I was too tired to make this trip

Replies