Home Fly Fishing

Building a fly rod.

Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,422 Captain

It's as easy/difficult as you want it to be. I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 5hrs invested in this build, and thought I'd share a few pics of the process.

Replies

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,337 Captain
    edited October 2020 #2
    Good looking work... Each year I go over all of my gear and try to schedule building or re-building for any times when bookings are slow... Only three more rod re-builds to go as far as spinning rods go (not including repairs) for this year....  These days most of my fly rods are factory and come with a warranty, although I do enjoy building a fly rod for myself.   I just can't build a new fly rod quickly enough to replace a broken one for my charters... so almost all of the fly rods on my skiff are factory rods... Will post a photo or two later but this will have to do for now... 

Here we go... this first photo shows the rod building bench my Dad and I built almost forty years ago now... Most days it's pretty crowded since it gets used as a general tackle repair area as well...  Note the home-made rod turning machine and rod supports.. .
    this last photo shows the under-wraps on a heavy spinning rod that's getting re-built for the second time - it's only ten years since I first built it... Some of my gear is much older and still in hard service... 

Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,422 Captain
    Good looking work... Each year I go over all of my gear and try to schedule building or re-building for any times when bookings are slow... Only three more rod re-builds to go as far as spinning rods go (not including repairs) for this year....  These days most of my fly rods are factory and come with a warranty, although I do enjoy building a fly rod for myself.   I just can't build a new fly rod quickly enough to replace a broken one for my charters... so almost all of the fly rods on my skiff are factory rods... Will post a photo or two later but this will have to do for now... 

Here we go... this first photo shows the rod building bench my Dad and I built almost forty years ago now... Most days it's pretty crowded since it gets used as a general tackle repair area as well...  Note the home-made rod turning machine and rod supports.. .
    this last photo shows the under-wraps on a heavy spinning rod that's getting re-built for the second time - it's only ten years since I first built it... Some of my gear is much older and still in hard service... 

I love it! I moved 2 years ago and my desk didn't make it. I'm still getting comfortable. Finding the right chair is a challenge. I have one build left, and then I think it's time for a long break. Hopefully I still remember how to tie flies. Here's the last build, almost done (CTS vapor trail, 10' 2.5-5oz). Just needs guides.
  • tarpon41tarpon41 Posts: 273 Deckhand
    ODC:
    Nice wraps...interesting blank bleed through color of the gold thread...did you test before finishing? That looks like a Mud Hole blank...have you concluded a recent rapproachement. :)   My recent CTS 10' Affinity 9wt plus 1 in the butt...not as elegant and traditional as yours...its uses are Permit and Bonefish, flats guided skiff and also wading so limited casting cycles that extra foot and plus 1 in the butt tires my 78 year old arm but it works... used it July KW also it doubles as a single spey steelhead rod but I can use two hands for spey/skagit casting...the carbon grip is CTS...my bleed color is deep red, REC singles

edited October 2020 #5

It's a sage igniter 790. Titanium torzite strippers, nickel titanium snakes. The thread is gudebrod graphite rw size A, the trim is Robison Anton J-metallic. It's the same thread I used to wrap my GFL's 25 years ago, so I had a pretty good idea of what it was going to look like. Is that a Revo?
  • SUPER DSUPER D Posts: 732 Officer
    Great looking work. ODC is it better to use cork rings or a completed grip ? Any performance difference? Building a fly rod is something I have wanted to try. 
    SUPER D said:
    Great looking work. ODC is it better to use cork rings or a completed grip ? Any performance difference? Building a fly rod is something I have wanted to try. 
     Thanks amigo. There are some guys making some nice pre-formed grips these days. REC & Alps are good enough for most builders. I'm incredibly picky, and I pay a small fortune for my cork. To me it's worth it, I tend to keep rods in the rotation for a very long time, so I put a little extra money and effort into sourcing good cork. There's no filler in that grip, but I'm paying close to 6$ per ring and only use about 1/2 of what I order (leftovers go to plug rods). That's almost 80$ in cork, your average pre-formed cork grip is about 30$, and it's a lot less work.

• tarpon41tarpon41 Posts: 273 Deckhand
    ODC no custom speced Affinity X